User Avatar Image

Legend of Zelda Megathread - Adoring Fan Edition

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 4.6K users

I thought we should have a thread to discuss the Legend of Zelda games, especially with Skyward Sword so close!

782 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I don't get the mentally of this doesn't count or that doesn't count. They all count. Even the CD-i games, which you could argue are the most radical departure for the series yet.

• @Secret Fawful said: I don't get the mentally of this doesn't count or that doesn't count. They all count. Even the CD-i games, which you could argue are the most radical departure for the series yet.

No no no, a MILLION TIMES NO!

• The CD-i games truly don't count because neither Nintendo, Miyamoto, or even Koji Kondo had anything to do with them. They were the unfortunate result of a deal with Phillips to make a CD-ROM drive for the Super Nintendo gone bad. They should never have been.

• No. They count. Any game sold in stores with the title ZELDA with Link and Zelda involved counts as a Zelda game, whether you don't want to acknowledge the games or not.

• @Secret Fawful said: No. They count. Any game sold in stores with the title ZELDA with Link and Zelda involved counts as a Zelda game, whether you don't want to acknowledge the games or not.

Considering that Nintendo themselves would rather forget about that unfortunate decision to let Phillips play around with(read: RAPE!!!) their characters, I would say that they don't count. Much the same way that the Star Wars Holiday Special doesn't count.

• @Shadowknight1 said: Considering that Nintendo themselves would rather forget about that unfortunate decision to let Phillips play around with(read: RAPE!!!) their characters, I would say that they don't count. Much the same way that the Star Wars Holiday Special doesn't count.

You can't make something not count just because it's bad. The Holiday Special does count.

• You can totally make it not count if it wasn't created or overseen by the original creators, developers, and writers. The Holiday Special was created by George Lucas. That's different. The CD-i Zelda games were created without Nintendo's or Miyamoto's authorization or blessing, even though it was technically legal.

• Glad to see so much Oracle love in this thread. Ages was my first Zelda game, too. I've always had a spot for them, and they're probably the games I replay the most often.

• @JedExodus said: Zelda 2's the red-headed step-child though. And the duel world-mechanic, without getting into the finer points. is in LttP OoT and TP as peeps said. I'd count it as standard fare at this point.

I think dual world worked better in LttP, though. There were a lot more puzzles that completely depended on it, and you could do it pretty much anywhere at any time.

• @MusicallyInspired said: You can totally make it not count if it wasn't created or overseen by the original creators, developers, and writers. The Holiday Special was created by George Lucas. That's different. The CD-i Zelda games were created without Nintendo's or Miyamoto's authorization or blessing, even though it was technically legal.

Actually, no it wasn't. Lucas had nothing to do with the Holiday Special short of telling these guys, "Sure, you can use our characters for your Christmas thing." Pretty much exactly what Nintendo did. The only difference is that Lucas has pretty well stated that the Holiday Special was a terrible idea, whereas Nintendo just doesn't comment on the CD-i games.

Also, Lucas has reportedly stated that if he had the time and a sledgehammer, he would track down and destroy every copy of the Holiday Special.

Add Comment