User Avatar Image

Legend of Zelda Megathread - Adoring Fan Edition

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 4.8K users

I thought we should have a thread to discuss the Legend of Zelda games, especially with Skyward Sword so close!

782 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • You guys do whatever, but I can't in all honesty discount any of it.

• I don't think Twilight Princess is nearly as good as the other games in the series, Am I alone on this?

• Yes. Alone with the few who agree with you. :p I personally thought it was the best.

• I thought Eind Waker was better, but I did love Twilight Princess.

• @gamer247 said: I don't think Twilight Princess is nearly as good as the other games in the series, Am I alone on this?

Twilight Princess is good, but it does have some flaws. First off, the color palette is boring. They seemed to jump on the "Realistic graphics = brown!" wagon for the game. The character models varied from really good to weird. Link, Midna, Zelda, Ilia, Wolf Link, Agitha, Ganondorf, Zant, and the enemies had great character models. Most of the other random NPCs looked...kinda strange.

And before I even get into anything else, I have to say this. I liked the LOOK of the Master Sword they did for this game. What I hated was the fact that, despite the artwork with Link holding it, they increased the blade length way too much. The sword is now the length of freaking Anduril from the Lord of the Rings movies, with one major exception, that being the handle. The Master Sword is, at most, a hand-and-a-half long sword that can be wielded one handed. The sword should be no more than 38 inches overall, which is about how it was in Ocarina of Time. A good length. However, Twilight Princess? It seems to be about 42-44 inches in length. You can throw the "magic sword" crap at me all day long, but a sword with a fairly short handle and a long blade like that is going to be ridiculously off balance. I hated that they kept that for Skyward Sword, but what more can be done?

Now, getting on to the narrative. It's only after repeat playthroughs that you finally GET Zant. Some try to say he went through a change in character. I disagree. Zant was insane. Period. If you really pay attention, a LOT of his dialog ended with exclamation points. A calm, cool, collected individual doesn't do that. However, where they messed up with Zant was not giving the hint that he had a master until the last part of the game. It's only late in the game that you find out he's taking over Hyrule in service to his "god". This is something that irritated a lot of people since they were expecting Zant to be THE main villain. I personally liked that Ganondorf was merely using Zant as a pawn. Had shades of Agahnim to it.

Characters...this was the first game that I barely gave a crap about Zelda. Link had no connection with her. The only one that had any connection with her at all was Midna. This wasn't Link to the Past where Link was the only one to hear her and come save her or Ocarina of Time where they met as kids with a grand scheme to bring down big, bad Ganondorf. No. This Zelda was the ruler of Hyrule, Link was a farm-boy from a province south of Hyrule. He hadn't even left Ordon before at the beginning of the game. We have NO INCENTIVE to worry about Zelda. If not for the fact that, by showing concern for Epona she's also showing concern for Link's safety, I wouldn't have much incentive to worry about Ilia either. Link had a few great expressions in this game(such as the look on his face when you first meet Occoo), but beyond that, he's not very emotionally involved in his quest beyond Midna. Midna was a great character though, I really enjoyed her story.

Gameplay wise, it was Ocarina of Time. Unless you played it on the Wii, where it was Ocarina of Time with a waggle and cursor aiming. The items were...mostly useless after you finish the dungeon you get them in. The Gale Boomerang was cool. The Clawshot? Cool, though getting another one seemed rather...tacked on. Lots of bomb-bags in the game. I do like that you can stick bombs on arrows, but I miss the magic arrows. The Hawkeye isn't very useful. The Dominion Rod and Spinner are only useful for a couple of things outside of their respective dungeons. The only really awesome item that I hope makes a comeback is the Ball-and-Chain. That was great. The bosses were pretty cool, though fighting beast Ganon before Ganondorf was a little odd. And the ending was kind of a cop out. I felt robbed that Ganondorf basically died on his feet and Midna basically prevents her world and Hyrule from ever meeting again.

That's my view on Twilight Princess. That and it tried a little too hard to be Ocarina of Time instead of its own game. Oh, and the howling crap sucked. As did the wolf thing, if you really get down to it, especially with the tears thing. There was no challenge, unlike the tears in Skyward Sword.

• I prefer to think of TP's palette as stylized. It's certainly more colourful, moody, and interesting than Call of Duty or something like that. I also liked how Ganondorf came afterward. I liked the feeling of having a different main villain for once. It gave it a breath of fresh air. But for me personally, I thought the reveal of Ganondorf was so fantastic that it made me appreciate it rather than force me to cry "cop-out". I also loved how Zant presented no evidence that he was insane until he was unmasked. It was a fantastic reveal for his character.

• @MusicallyInspired said: I prefer to think of TP's palette as stylized. It's certainly more colourful, moody, and interesting than Call of Duty or something like that. I also liked how Ganondorf came afterward. I liked the feeling of having a different main villain for once. It gave it a breath of fresh air. But for me personally, I thought the reveal of Ganondorf was so fantastic that it made me appreciate it rather than force me to cry "cop-out". I also loved how Zant presented no evidence that he was insane until he was unmasked. It was a fantastic reveal for his character.

I will agree to that. I still like how everyone and their dog was saying that Ocarina of Time had realistic, dark, and moody graphics. No, it was just limited by the N64 engine. If you look at the concept art, it's anything but realistic, dark, and moody. In fact, Zelda's never really been dark and moody. That's what I liked about Skyward Sword. It's art style reminds me so much of Link to the Past.

• I absolutely cannot stand the motion controls. They are awful and ruin the entire game for me.

• You're determined not to like the game, Shodan. If you don't like 3D Zelda games, then you don't have to. But you also don't have to beat your point into the ground.

We get it. These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along.

Add Comment