User Avatar Image

Could KQ6 (High Res) ever be made to work with modern PCs?

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 947 users

I love how GOG released all of the old KQ games--but one thing I dislike is how every KQ Collection after 1997 has released the low res version of KQ6 (and the DOS version of KQ5). The Hi Res version of KQ6 just improves an already great game, as does the Windows version of KQ5...I'm wondering, is there any way to get them compatible with modern PCs? Especially the Hi Res version of KQ6?

29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Keep in mind that the windows KQ6 (high res) is still highly a work in progress at ScummVM. Once the game is fully implemented it will have the original menus, cursors, etc.

Actually from what I've seen, the save/restore screen overlay replaces the original save/restore screens from the original even in the dos version of the game. It replaces the original menus in all the VGA games, Sierra, and other companies as well, as far as I know?

Outside of the save/restore all the correct menus exist in the hi res or lo res versions depending on which version you are loading into ScumVM.

• There's also a setting for the original Save/Restore GUI's in the scummvm.ini file. Not all the ScummVM games use its GUI, though.

• @MusicallyInspired said: There's also a setting for the original Save/Restore GUI's in the scummvm.ini file. Not all the ScummVM games use its GUI, though.

Hmm, I looked it up and couldn't find it. However, you CAN access the original Save/Load GUI for most (LucasArts, at least--haven't checked it with Sierra) games by pressing Alt-F5 (versus just F5 to bring up the ScummVM menu).

• You can do it. I've done it. I made my own custom build of ScummVM and set the option in the source, though. I was pretty sure this was also customizable in the scummvm.ini file though.

• User Avatar Image
    exo

Either way - give it time. SCI is still very "wip". Once games are actually playable then (if it follows the same progress as other large engines), they'll go back and take care of smaller things like menus.

• @exo said: Keep in mind that the windows KQ6 (high res) is still highly a work in progress at ScummVM. Once the game is fully implemented it will have the original menus, cursors, etc.

The later version of the SCI engines are a work in progress, but KQ6 is not (nor are any other pre-SCI2 games). The changes made were intentional, and as MI said can be disabled in the .ini file.

ScummVM uses its own save/restore menu in most games at this point, not just SCI ones. I think it's done on an engine-by-engine basis. Oddly, much earlier in development the SCI games were using the original Sierra menus, but it was changed at some point in the development process. I'm not really sure why -- I'd prefer the original menus, but it's not a huge deal.

• The reason the developers switched to primarily using the scumm GUI is probably because its fancier and has bells and whistles such as noting when (date an time) the save was made and an in-game screenshot showing where it was was saved. Also it doesn't have the save limits of the original iirc (you could only make about 20 saves in the Sierra system)

It Scumm GUi is a nice feature, technically superior, and has its advantages, just some might prefer to run things as close to original as possible.

• You can also customize the ScummVM GUI scheme so you can make it look like whatever you want. So in theory, you could make any ScummVM supported game look like a Sierra game! lol

• Upping this, as Anakin's new thread on the same topic should be merged into it.

As per GuruGuru's thread policy;

First off, please make sure a similar thread doesn't already exist. This forum isn't that large yet, so this shouldn't be too difficult, and we do have a search function. We mods have to track down and merge duplicate threads, so not only does not posting duplicate threads keep the forums less cluttered and running more smoothly, it makes it much easier for us to keep track of things

• Both of you guys are making me not want to come in here anymore.

Add Comment