User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 21.6K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@Ribs said: I do not understand.

I've grown tired of River Song as a character. If you want me to expand on that, I'll happily do so.

Out of Matt Smith's first two series, she's appeared in 9 episodes (10 if you count the end of The Lodger). Wee bit too much for my taste, considering she was essentially written as a one-off character for Silence in the Library. As her role has gotten bigger and bigger, I think her dialogue has lowered in quality, I've grown very tired of her cocky attitude and Alex Kingston is becoming a rather irritating part of the show for me.

It's mostly an extension of my dissatisfaction with the direction the show has taken under Grand Admiral Moffat's reigns. But having to share a game with a character I've gotten tired of? Not a particularly big draw!

• @Ribs said: I do not understand.

Well, there's this character, right? And she's been in it a lot. And some of us are fed up with her. For being in it a lot. And being annoying.

I'm hoping that her story is pretty much over, and that she won't be popping up quite so often from now on. I mean, they got rid of Captain Jack, so why shouldn't we be lucky a second time?

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@FitzoliverJ said: Well, there's this character, right? And she's been in it a lot. And some of us are fed up with her. For being in it a lot. And being annoying.

I'm hoping that her story is pretty much over, and that she won't be popping up quite so often from now on. I mean, they got rid of Captain Jack, so why shouldn't we be lucky a second time?

Actually, I'm glad you brought up Captain Jack, 'cause it means I get to ask:

"What happened to Captain Jack's missing three years?"

He mentions it exactly once in The Doctor Dances, and then nothing. It's never brought up again and for all Torchwood's time-travelling shenanigans, it's never explained. Did the writers just forget about it?

• @Darth Marsden said: Actually, I'm glad you brought up Captain Jack, 'cause it means I get to ask:

"What happened to Captain Jack's missing three years?"

He mentions it exactly once in The Doctor Dances, and then nothing. It's never brought up again and for all Torchwood's time-travelling shenanigans, it's never explained. Did the writers just forget about it?

I think its an aborted ark because RTD didn't know he was going to make him immortal or in Torchwood at the time of his creation.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

But the fans remember. We remember all. And we want answers, dammit! There will be blood if we don't get answers from somewhere!

:D

• Jack was supposed to be the big companion for Series Two, as the original plan was the main arc being Doc 9 and Jack searching for a cure to Rose's TARDIS Energy Demigod-ness. Sounds far better than the series we got. :/

• I watched "Time and the Rani" again this week, and I may like McCoy. His run is awesome. Also, river song is awesome. I'm hoping for her to have half a series or so as a proper full-time companion, if only to explore the concept of the doctor being married a bit more. She reminds me a bit of Romana, and I think that now she's married, and both characters know it, her character can tame down a bit, to be more agreeable to those that hate her.

Also, what was rose supposed to be doing for the whole of that alternative series 2 then? Just sitting in the Tardis, burning the BBC's SFX budget?

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@Ribs said: Jack was supposed to be the big companion for Series Two, as the original plan was the main arc being Doc 9 and Jack searching for a cure to Rose's TARDIS Energy Demigod-ness. Sounds far better than the series we got. :/

It does. It really, really does. :(

Add Comment