User Avatar Image

Welcome to the Fables Forums

posted by Alan Johnson on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users

Hey everyone! Welcome to the Fables forums!

Enjoy yourselves, but don't let The Adversary get you!

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Uh, ok... I see you answered my question over here so please disregard :) And thanks for your answer :)

• User Avatar Image
    ttg_Stemmle Telltale Staff

@Molokov said: Uh, ok... I see you answered my question over here so please disregard :) And thanks for your answer :)

It turns out that one of the side-benefits of designing a game about time travel is that I can answers questions from the future :)

For those too lazy to jump over to the other thread, my (newly revised) pat answer is "You really don't need to read ANY of the Fables comics to understand what's going on in our game, and our game won't spoil any of the goings on IN the comics. That said, I heartily recommend picking up the Fables books, because they rock."

Mike "Like a Hurricane" Stemmle

• Hi Stemmle! I have no idea what you're allowed to tell us about the project right now, so I'll just wish you guys luck in the coming months. Looking forward to the game!

Edit: Okay, turns out I do have a few question. I guess I would like to know what you're going to do with the gameplay in this one. More like the older Telltale titles, more like Jurassic Park, or something entirely new?

A second question: I only read the first couple of comics (and enjoyed them, but just haven't find the time to read the rest). Bill Willingham claims he sees the games as part of the storyline of the comics (meaning that events in the game can later be referenced in the comics, I guess). Could you talk a bit more about his involvement in this project, and at what point in the comics this game takes place?

• Hi Mike! :)
    A bunch of questions:

1) What challenges Fables presents in respect to other TT games in terms of writing and atmosphere?
    2) What do you aim to achieve in terms of innovations in this game? Will we see something completely different about gameplay?
    3) Which is the direction TT is taking about this game? Cinematic adventure or a more casual approach? Will it be action oriented or puzzle oriented?
    4) I see that TT is still hiring artists: how big is the team involved? What are you aiming to visually?

Thanks! :)

• User Avatar Image

@Tjibbbe said: Hi Stemmle! I have no idea what you're allowed to tell us about the project right now, so I'll just wish you guys luck in the coming months. Looking forward to the game!

Edit: Okay, turns out I do have a few question. I guess I would like to know what you're going to do with the gameplay in this one. More like the older Telltale titles, more like Jurassic Park, or something entirely new?

For now, let's just say that we're planning on a gameplay experience that's appropriate for the Fables license :) We think you'll be pleased.

A second question: I only read the first couple of comics (and enjoyed them, but just haven't find the time to read the rest). Bill Willingham claims he sees the games as part of the storyline of the comics (meaning that events in the game can later be referenced in the comics, I guess). Could you talk a bit more about his involvement in this project, and at what point in the comics this game takes place?

Mr. Willingham's been very supportive of our efforts thus far, and has been particularly helpful in suggesting ideas to support a new element we're adding to Fabletown's lore. We suspect that he'll be getting a lot more involved now that the scripts are starting to shape up, and he gets a good look at how much we've butchered his characters :)

I don't want to spoil too much about the temporal setting of the story yet. Suffice to say that a) we're NOT terribly interested in costume dramas, b) we don't want to tread on Mr. Willingham's toes, and c) the chronicled arcs of the main characters don't leave a heckuva lot of breathing room.

Mike "Perhaps I've Said Too Much" Stemmle

• User Avatar Image

@Bloody Eugene said: Hi Mike! :)

1) What challenges Fables presents in respect to other TT games in terms of writing and atmosphere?

So far: More swearing, less overt comedy, and the unalloyed joy of pre-established backstories.

2) What do you aim to achieve in terms of innovations in this game? Will we see something completely different about gameplay?

Something old, something new, a few things borrowed, and a bunch of things appropriate to the license.

3) Which is the direction TT is taking about this game? Cinematic adventure or a more casual approach? Will it be action oriented or puzzle oriented?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Casually cinematic, with puzzles and action.

4) I see that TT is still hiring artists: how big is the team involved? What are you aiming to visually?

Without revealing too much of the inner workings of TTG, I will say that we've been keeping the team small in an effort to get design WAY out in front of production this time around.

Visually, we've found it best to aim for eyeballs. We tried ears once, and that was a total fiasco.

Seriously, we want to bring the comic to life. No pressure there :/

Mike "It's Alive!" Stemmle

• @ttg_Stemmle said: Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Casually cinematic, with puzzles and action.

Hmm. that all sounds awfully similar to an Adventure Game, are you familiar with them? :p

• User Avatar Image

@Nintendo Boy1 said: Hmm. that all sounds awfully similar to an Adventure Game, are you familiar with them? :p

What are these "adventure games" of which you speak? Are they, like, popular in Europe or something?

Mike "Starting the New Year with Sarcasm" Stemmle

• Maybe is too soon to ask but, after the wonderful surprise of getting THE WALKING DEAD in Spanish... is there any chance that FABLES get the same treatment?

• Questions:
    Are you still improving the graphic engine for this game?
    Will you have new tech features on it? Which?

Thanks! ;)

Add Comment