User Avatar Image

Legend of Zelda Megathread - Adoring Fan Edition

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 4.6K users

I thought we should have a thread to discuss the Legend of Zelda games, especially with Skyward Sword so close!

782 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @SHODANFreeman said: I am also baffled why anyone cares about spoilers for a Zelda game. They're not exactly known for their story.



    Because they would like to get the most out of the game by first going into the game as blind as possible. What's wrong with that?

  • @Chyron8472 said: Because they would like to get the most out of the game by first going into the game as blind as possible. What's wrong with that?



    But people are actually concerned about the story, as if that has ever mattered in Zelda.


    @Chyron8472 said: Ocarina of Time is one of your least favorite Zeldas?

    "Then there is no pleasing you!'

    It's not that bad, but it is near the bottom of my list. Games worse than it include the DS games, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword.

  • The only game I would put over Ocarina is Link to the Past.

  • @SHODANFreeman said: But people are actually concerned about the story, as if that has ever mattered in Zelda.

    But it does matter.

    People don't just play Zelda for the dungeon crawl.

    Case in point, I love the 2D Zelda games but I rather dislike The Binding of Isaac.

    I even bought The Binding of Isaac from one of the Indie Bundles just so I could have my own opinion of it, and I can say beyond a doubt that dungeon crawling alone is not merely what Zelda is about.

    Of course, if you hate the 3D Zelda games, and they are the ones in which story becomes much more apparent, then I can (maybe) see why you might not understand. Although, again I do also like the story in A Link to the Past. If someone had spoilered for me that the girl in the fourth dark world dungeon turned out to be Blind before I had first encountered her, then I would have been annoyed.

  • @Chyron8472 said: But it does matter.

    People don't just play Zelda for the dungeon crawl.

    Case in point, I love the 2D Zelda games but I rather dislike The Binding of Isaac.

    I even bought The Binding of Isaac from one of the Indie Bundles just so I could have my own opinion of it, and I can say beyond a doubt that dungeon crawling alone is not merely what Zelda is about.

    Of course, if you hate the 3D Zelda games, and they are the ones in which story becomes much more apparent, then I can (maybe) see why you might not understand. Although, again I do also like the story in A Link to the Past. If someone had spoilered for me that the girl in the fourth dark world dungeon turned out to be Blind before I had first encountered her, then I would have been annoyed.



    The story always has the depth of a sheet of paper. I don't hate the 3D games, they are usually just inherently inferior to most of the 2D games. Wind Waker is the only one that I have enjoyed more than any of the 2D games.

  • In 3D Zelda games especially, the story isn't just apparent, it's an integral part to immersing yourself in the game. In Wind Waker, would you like it if I explained beforehand why the boat can talk; how Tetra got her telepathy crystal; which characters are the new sages; or what happens regarding Hyrule at the end? I sure as heck wouldn't like it at all.

    The story in Skyward Sword is important to the experience. I've beaten the game. I can say for certain that I know what I'm talking about.

  • @Chyron8472 said: In 3D Zelda games especially, the story isn't just apparent, it's an integral part to immersing yourself in the game. In Wind Waker, would you like it if I explained beforehand why the boat can talk; how Tetra got her telepathy crystal; which characters are the new sages; or what happens regarding Hyrule at the end? I sure as heck wouldn't like it at all.

    The story in Skyward Sword is important to the experience. I've beaten the game. I can say for certain that I know what I'm talking about.



    I agree, but we're not going to convince him of that.

  • @Chyron8472 said: In 3D Zelda games especially, the story isn't just apparent, it's an integral part to immersing yourself in the game. In Wind Waker, would you like it if I explained beforehand why the boat can talk; how Tetra got her telepathy crystal; which characters are the new sages; or what happens regarding Hyrule at the end? I sure as heck wouldn't like it at all.

    The story in Skyward Sword is important to the experience. I've beaten the game. I can say for certain that I know what I'm talking about.



    @Chyron8472 said: I agree, but we're not going to convince him of that.

    I don't care about the story, because it's not particularly interesting in any Zelda game. "Stuff happens, there are bad guys, go kill them" is enough storyline.

  • @SHODANFreeman said: I don't care about the story, because it's not particularly interesting in any Zelda game. "Stuff happens, there are bad guys, go kill them" is enough storyline.



    Then, if I may say so, you are very shallow indeed.

    Don't chastize other people's interest in encountering the story elements first ingame for themselves just because you consider them worthless.

    One wonders why you visit an adventure game developer's forum, when you care so little for story.

    EDIT: Now, if you don't mind. STOP COMPLAINING so we here can get back to having more interesting conversations about the Zelda franchise.

Add Comment