User Avatar Image

What's the Last Thing You Downloaded?

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

There's one for music, there's one for films, now there's one for files. What's the last thing you downloaded (legally)?

I'll kick us off: the soundtrack to Bitejacker: Undead on Arrival. It's one of the soundtracks in the Indie Music Bundle and I've only just got round to grabbing it.

156 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse for the PS3. For which I paid nothing. Thanks PS+ account, you're awesome.

@Darth Marsden said: (Incidentally, this is also how I've 'acquired' most, if not all, of my anime. Can anyone tell me if that's legal or not, 'cause I genuinely don't know and would very much like to.)

Seriously, anyone know if it's OK or not to download anime from sites that show it for free using DownloadHelper? I genuinely would like to know the legality of that.

• It isn't technically legal, no, because it's copyrighted. However, chances are you won't get caught for it. Especially if the said anime isn't licensed in your country.

• Left 4 Dead 2 is finishing right now and I started the download of the English StarCaft 2 client.

• Last thing I downloaded was Serious Sam 3 on Steam and that took a while.

Other than that various patches to various games. Either on Steam or on the games own patcher.

• Finishing off downloading all my GOG stuff.

I just bought a load from the christmas sale, and when I get some more money, I'll probably finish off my wishlist!
    (Then I can wait a looooong time for new stuff to come out, which by going by GOGs new plans, I'll probably already have! XD)

So what new stuff did I download today then:

Darklands
    Ultima 7
    Wing Commander 1+2
    Wing Commander 3
    Crusader: No Remorse
    Crusader: No Regret
    Slipstream 5000
    Broken Sword 4
    IL-2 Sturmovik

Just got to play them all now! XD

• @RetroVortex said: Finishing off downloading all my GOG stuff.

I just bought a load from the christmas sale, and when I get some more money, I'll probably finish off my wishlist!
    (Then I can wait a looooong time for new stuff to come out, which by going by GOGs new plans, I'll probably already have! XD)

So what new stuff did I download today then:

Darklands
    Ultima 7
    Wing Commander 1+2
    Wing Commander 3
    Crusader: No Remorse
    Crusader: No Regret
    Slipstream 5000
    Broken Sword 4
    IL-2 Sturmovik

Just got to play them all now! XD

Ultima 7 and Wing Commander III are wonderful games. Takes me back to my days as a kid. Good times, good times. *sniff*

I don't know if Wing Commander IV is available but if it is, then get that because even though it lacks overgrown kitties, it's probably the best in the series.

Also look out for the fifth Wing Commander game; Prophecy. It's story's not that great (although it still features Mark Hamill, which is a definite plus), but in terms of graphics and gameplay it's easily the best of the lot. A highly underrated entry in the Wing Commander saga...

... As is Ultima IX in that saga. Okay, so it's a buggy mess of a game but the scope is amazing. It's similar to Morrowind/Oblivion. Of course, there's only one true Ultima game to me and that's Ultima Online. That game was doing WoW way before its conception. Epic stuff. Also it's better than WoW because it had beautiful 2D art.

... God, I wish I could go back in time and be a kid again!

• star wars the force unleaseed sith edition and force unleashed 2 thanks to a deal on steam which put the games down to £3 something

• @Rawr said: It isn't technically legal, no, because it's copyrighted. However, chances are you won't get caught for it. Especially if the said anime isn't licensed in your country.

At the risk of derailing the thread,I don't see what's wrong legally with downloading free streamed stuff, so long as you don't intend to sell it or rent it out to someone or whatever. Given that you have to go to the site to download the things anyway, they're still getting the hit counters to please the ad guys, and you get to watch the things whenever you want.

So long as the thing is going to stay online for the time it takes you to watch (and delete) it on your HDD, I see no issue.

• Tales of Monkey Island complete series and Humble Indie Bundle #4.

• The new free Bastion DLC(it is of the narrators backstory)

and Xevious on the eshop thanks to the new Club Nintendo rewards(free games)

Add Comment