User Avatar Image

Are you kidding me with these graphics?

posted by caeska on - last edited - Viewed by 4.8K users

Because this is absolutely ridicilous.
When is TTG going to learn and actually implement some proper graphics and animations into their games?
While this style of graphics is too cartoony and doesn't fit the L&O genre at all but I wouldn't mind that so much if Telltale would just take the graphics aspect somewhat seriously.

Look at Jurassic Park: Good characters, good story. But the graphics look like they were, and they probably were, done by amateurs who never attended a graphic design class in their lives.
My 5-year old niece could have done a better job in that department. The character animations as a whole, body language, movement, lip synch and
facial expressions of emotions is completely unrealistic and it is actually done so poorly that it makes it impossible to get immersed into the game world. BTTF was the same, no effort whatsoever put into animations and thus, no entertainment value.

And so far L&O seems poised to do exactly the same mistakes that BTTF and JP did because there is no indication that L&O will be any better. It's too rough around the edges and with the graphics style they've chosen to use they've effectively destroyed the game before it's even released. I'm still hoping to be proven wrong, but somehow I have my doubts.

If they are not going to bother to work with the graphics and animations, then I'm not going to bother with paying money for the game. It really is that simple. The graphics aspect is so important in a computer game that in many cases, it determines whether it becomes a success
or failure. And it is one of the most contributing factors to replay value and how drawn you as a player get into the game.

175 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • One thing I found weird about the graphics is Jack McCoy looks airbrsuhed and wrinkle free.

• @Ribs said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI

That link has no relevance to what I just said. All I've done is state my opinion, which, as you might recall, is the entire point of having a public discussion forum to begin with.

• The cell shading simply doesn't look right in my opinion. I have nothing against cartoon graphics personally, but these graphics look like a poorly made TF2 lightwarp mod. I don't usually complain, but I just really dislike these graphics.

• Caeska... curious... do you smash all your old games that no longer have state of the art, $100,000,000 development stages?

What about games like ZORK that is still considered by serious gamers to be an excellent game.. that has no graphics at all? Or how do you explain Minecraft's popularity?

While I agree presentation is important in most cases, I disagree that if the games visuals are not the best on the market that its automatically a horrible game.

Also your five year old niece sounds amazing I cant wait to play her game...

• His point is valid still. The game's footage from the trailer has the art style that does seem too cartoon/TF2 for what Law and Order is. If it was the same game with a different name, an original IP, then the style may fit. As is, it doesn't fit the tone of the show.
    The animations for almost all Telltale games, in my eyes, are the same for the most part. There are some new animations but the main few animations have been there forever. BTTF:TG suffered for it's lack of animations, the characters just seemed to act like a bad actor who didn't know how to convey the emotion correctly. This is mainly for dialogue though, outside of conversation animations are much more varied and fluid. Although this does make the static talking animations look more obviously odd.
    The art style is still only one piece of the game, the gameplay might be brilliant but opinions right now are on what the trailers show us. Don't judge a game on graphics, judge it on the gameplay and entertainment you will get from playing it.
    Btw, don't hate someone to give opinions. Offending actual, just, criticism won't help anyone.

• @caeska said: That link has no relevance to what I just said. All I've done is state my opinion, which, as you might recall, is the entire point of having a public discussion forum to begin with.

I think the game has a beautiful aesthetic that works well, and you are saying that it's not even trying and you are not buying it because of the graphics alone. Plus, you chose to bash BTTF's graphical style - one of a few features I liked about the game - seemingly only because it wasn't 'realistic'. You were rude about it and didn't offer criticism that could realistically be met before release.

• User Avatar Image
    OMA

@caeska said: the graphics look like they were, and they probably were, done by amateurs who never attended a graphic design class in their lives.

I just saw the video and I don't think the graphics are nearly as bad as you put it. I think the cel-shaded look works pretty fine.

Besides, you don't need to offend the game creators just because you don't like the graphics. "Amateurs who never attended a graphic design class in their lives?". They surely worked hard to create those graphics and don't deserve those kinds of words.

@caeska said: My 5-year old niece could have done a better job in that department.

Then she must be a pretty awesome artist :D

• @caeska said: The graphics aspect is so important in a computer game that in many cases, it determines whether it becomes a success
    or failure.

Not to everybody, and this does not appear to be a computer game, or rather not a desktop computer game, as it seems clear to me it's optimized for the iOS market.

Although I'm not particularly demanding about graphics myself, I sympathize with those who see graphics as important to immersion. But you have to factor in price. $3 per episode? As Telltale has already gone "casual" with gameplay, it's probably not a bad idea for prices to reflect that, and it's not surprising graphics will be more casual as well.

The real question is what are they going to charge for the PC/Mac version? If it's higher than that of the iOS version, with nothing extra added (eg. still the iOS resolution like Hector was), well then, that would certainly be cause for a rant of the OP's magnitude. ;)

• @caeska said: That link has no relevance to what I just said. All I've done is state my opinion, which, as you might recall, is the entire point of having a public discussion forum to begin with.

No, all you've done...

@caeska said: Look at Jurassic Park: Good characters, good story. But the graphics look like they were, and they probably were, done by amateurs who never attended a graphic design class in their lives.
    My 5-year old niece could have done a better job in that department.

Is be a dick. That link said "it's okay to not like things, but don't be a dick about it" which is extremely relevant.

That said, you're confusing graphics with art style. The graphics look great for the art style they chose. But if you think it looks too cartoony (anyone else having flashbacks to when The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker came out?), your problem is with the art style, not the graphics. And how can you be sure the art style doesn't fit yet? None of us regular folk here have played the game. We've only seen some screenshots and a few video clips. Maybe it works. You just have to give it a chance first. At least wait until you can watch a Let's Play of it if you don't want to spend money.

Add Comment