User Avatar Image

Questions for the Walking Dead team!

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 21.1K users

Hey guys, I know it's still early days on this project, and we're a ways off from talking about anything concrete, but it seemed like as good a time as any to start an official Q&A thread!

In all honesty there isn't a lot we can talk about yet -- we were going to do press for the game at PAX East last month, but held off when we realized that our answer to almost any conceivable standard press question would be "no comment, yet" -- but I trust you guys to rise above the standard questions, and come up with some Walking Dead stuff we can discuss, so have at it. Ask away!

1.3K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @bobber56 said: When do you plan on releasing the game? And what is taking you guys so long? One would think, with the time you have taken so far, that you would have completed the first four episodes by now!

Do you have any idea what goes into making a game? It doesn't sound like it. The writing phase of it can take quite a while, then there's the coding, modeling, texturing, level design, sound work, PR, animations and so on. And if you count the fact that it might not be the biggest team making it, there's a reason it's going to take longer. I realise you want this game out, so do the rest of us but please give them the respect they deserve for making this game in the first place.

• This question probably been asked since its obvious, but if any of the characters that are in the game that are also in the show, will the actors from the show voice them?

• I was wondering if all of the episodes will be released as one big game, or if it will be seperated into "seasons" like the TV show.

• Just another reason for you guys to continue the Walking Dead podcast:

I was watching the Giantbomb Apples to Apples Quicklook (featuring Double Fine's Brad Muir). In this game, one of four players gets a card with a word on it, the three other players search through their cards (all cards have different words written on it) for words that in some way connects to player 1's word. Then player 1 (the judge of that round, every round another player is the judge) picks the card he thinks has the strongest/funniest connection to his card, and the person who submitted that card gets some points. I know this is a confusing explanation, but just watch the video.

Anyway, at 18:00 in the video, the judge card says 'Famous'. The three other players select their cards. Someone picks the card 'Video Games'. I'm getting ready for a brilliant Idle Thumbs moment, but... it doesn't come. That's right guys. Even GiantBomb (and Double Fine!) has forgotten you. No one recognises you. You have fallen into obscurity. Get back behind those microphones!

Link: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-apples-to-apples/17-5372/
    Skip to 18:00 for the weird and apparently completely natural Idle Thumbs reference. So weird that that happened by accident. It's like a message from God.

So, yeah, zombies.

• In the Quite a week, I will be around if you want to talk about it thread, Dan talks about creating clear labels for games so that fans know what to expect:

@dancon said: I think this is a good idea and you can expect us to provide more info about the type of game. I know on Sam and Max 2 we tried to communicate difficulty through a five star system.

As far as breakdown of gametype would you expect us to put BTTF and JP in the same category or would you separate the two. I would say Sam and Max is an adventure game, BTTF is an easy adventure (EZ) or casual adventure and JP is a cinematic adventure. Would that make sense to everyone

Taking into account this labelling system what kind of game would you classify the upcoming Walking Dead game as?

• Please make this game alot more interactive than Jurassic Park. Give us full control over our character! I'm begging you to make a good game. I cant wait for this to come out and I'm disappointed It got pushed back but I hope thats to better the game.

• @SHODANFreeman said: Will this game contain puzzles?

More importantly will it contain any gameplay at all ??

• One of the main aspects of a "Zombie Apocalypse" that to date other zombie games have completely ignored is the whole survival aspect. This is something that is really a focus in not only "The Walking Dead Comic" but also "The Walking Dead TV Series". When I say survival I mean having to forage or farm for food. Having to macgyver an old car, belts and batteries to provide limited power for your camp. Building or establishing safe fortifications that visually progress over time as you begin to slowly restore a sense of humanity. Even something as simple as string out little fish lines/nets to collect fish in a local stream.

I would really like to for once see a Zombie game that has a complete explore-able landscape. If you come across a neighborhood you should be able to go door to door clearing each house and scavenging for supplies. I hope to not see a forced path that the player must follow. (i.e. Enter house A - Pass through to backyard - Crawl through small hole in fence to House B - so on...) While 50 other houses are unreachable. More of a Morrowind/Oblivion/Slyrim style adventure across a massive landscape style Zombie game would take the market by storm.

Zombies it what drew us to "The Walking Dead Series" but the characters and the story-line is what held us captivated. Holding on to every moment, excited but yet fearful at what would happen next. The way that some people break down during the crisis but others rise above and the intricate way that the survivors interact and form bonds with one another. These are things that are very important to me when it comes to holding my attention when it comes to dialog in a game.

So I guess some good questions for you would be...

1) How much thought have you guys given to the human elements of survival as well as trying to restore some of the comforts of past society?

2) Can you comment on any aspects of scavenging or exploration that we may see in the game?

3) Is a large open ended world something that your development team is striving for or is that simply out of the question at this point?

4) Will you (the player) be able to even form a group of survivors or is this the story of more of a drifter/loner type character?

5) If you are moving with a group of survivors... Will you progress from one camp to another? (i.e. In the series they move from the camp (Rock Quarry) on the outskirts of Atlanta to Hershel's Farm to The Prison) Can we expect a similar type of progression? Like will you have the ability to choose your next location? (Example: We decide the farm we are staying at is just to dangerous to defend but during our explorations we found a way into a mostly secured bank but there is also that Apartment Building that will be harder to secure but is located right next to a Wal-Mart for easy scavenging.)

6) How much do you plan on focusing on the characters story's and interaction with each other? I want to know who they have lost, what they have been through up to this point and a sense of importance if I was to loose this person from my group.

Thank you for your time and for jumping onto such an exciting title as The Walking Dead!!

-Lunarjax :D

• Will this game follow the recent Telltale trend and be made with iOS in mind and converted to PC/Mac and consoles?

• Will questions posted in this thread be answered? :)

I'm hoping for some sweet tie-in merch' in the collector's edition. What are the chances of a Kirkman Walking Dead comic featuring the characters/storyline from the Telltale game? An adaptation, even... just putting it out there.

Add Comment