User Avatar Image

The Last Item You Purchased?

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 44.9K users

What was it? Whether it was a packet of chips, a video game, a CD, a magazine, a gun, a flower, a yacht or an island, post it here.

My most recent purchase was a CD - Dream Theater's "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence".

5.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Darth Marsden said: Ah, but if I try that, the price always goes above my limit. I just can't win either way!

True. True.

Its mostly luck in the end of the day dude.

Have you ever tried looking to see when an auction ends?
    Maybe focus on ones that end on unsociable hours, but you can make.

(So say its at midnight on a monday or something. If you can stay up, then stay up. Likely less people to battle in that last minute then...)

• Beware the Telltale 9.99 sale. 2 words: Oh Crumbs. All of the download links for my copy of SBCG4AP came back as this.
    EDIT: fixed

• Last thing I bought was, 4 Milk, 3 large bottles of soda and 4 Marabou chocolate.

• 3 Cheese Smokies. Good stuff.

• @Remolay said: A lot of books. I'm the guy who always gives his family books for Christmas, Although I did help in a way for getting my father the newest version of Reason.

I give a lot of books, and I get a lot of books...

And there's so many people with birthdays close to Xmas! I thought my end of Nov birthday was close enough... :eek:

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@RetroVortex said:
    My advice dude. Never bid on an item till the last 30 or so seconds.
    (Unless you can't watch it to the end, then you may get lucky)

I consider this idea to be somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy (and I've been on ebay for 10 years now). Lots of ebayers bid without an idea what their eventual limit would be. When the bids start piling up, they get discouraged and either drop out or bid way too much.

If you bid at the last second - as most ebayers do - you are forced to determine your absolute maximum bid once and for all. That way, when you're not the highest bidder, you know that you did not WANT to bid more and you're less likely to feel disappointed; and when you win, you have a greater feeling of satisfaction and cleverness because you only placed one bid.

But the fact remains: On ebay, the highest bidder wins, not the fastest.

• @Vainamoinen said: But the fact remains: On ebay, the highest bidder wins, not the fastest.

The fastest has inherent advantages though, and generally speaking it's acknowledged that forecasting your desire for and maximum bid for an item too early creates an inflated price and greater zeal from competitors, which would drive the price up.

• D430F-riJj_31175919.jpg

Nah I'm yanking your chain.:p

• Why does the Royal Family even continue to exist? They're an archaic, expensive tradition that serves no purpose in the modern world. Also, they're stupid. The Queen's grandsons seriously believe in homeopathy.

Add Comment