User Avatar Image

Are you kidding me with these graphics?

posted by caeska on - last edited - Viewed by 5.9K users

Because this is absolutely ridicilous.
When is TTG going to learn and actually implement some proper graphics and animations into their games?
While this style of graphics is too cartoony and doesn't fit the L&O genre at all but I wouldn't mind that so much if Telltale would just take the graphics aspect somewhat seriously.

Look at Jurassic Park: Good characters, good story. But the graphics look like they were, and they probably were, done by amateurs who never attended a graphic design class in their lives.
My 5-year old niece could have done a better job in that department. The character animations as a whole, body language, movement, lip synch and
facial expressions of emotions is completely unrealistic and it is actually done so poorly that it makes it impossible to get immersed into the game world. BTTF was the same, no effort whatsoever put into animations and thus, no entertainment value.

And so far L&O seems poised to do exactly the same mistakes that BTTF and JP did because there is no indication that L&O will be any better. It's too rough around the edges and with the graphics style they've chosen to use they've effectively destroyed the game before it's even released. I'm still hoping to be proven wrong, but somehow I have my doubts.

If they are not going to bother to work with the graphics and animations, then I'm not going to bother with paying money for the game. It really is that simple. The graphics aspect is so important in a computer game that in many cases, it determines whether it becomes a success
or failure. And it is one of the most contributing factors to replay value and how drawn you as a player get into the game.

175 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Oh, get over yourself. Telltale's never been heavy on the graphics and if you're supposedly a fan you'd have realized that years ago. Do you really think Law and Order is the kind of license that would do well looking like Crysis or something? It's pretty clear that it's intended as a fairly casual game intended first and foremost for iOS.

• @mjc0961 said:

That said, you're confusing graphics with art style. The graphics look great for the art style they chose. But if you think it looks too cartoony (anyone else having flashbacks to when The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker came out?), your problem is with the art style, not the graphics. And how can you be sure the art style doesn't fit yet? None of us regular folk here have played the game. We've only seen some screenshots and a few video clips. Maybe it works. You just have to give it a chance first. At least wait until you can watch a Let's Play of it if you don't want to spend money.

Not at all, the art style is not the main issue here. Granted, I don't think the cel-shade style fits the L&O genre and I think they're making a huge mistake going in that direction. The issue is the graphics and animation, which completely destroy immersion.

@mjc0961 said: I just saw the video and I don't think the graphics are nearly as bad as you put it. I think the cel-shaded look works pretty fine.

Besides, you don't need to offend the game creators just because you don't like the graphics. "Amateurs who never attended a graphic design class in their lives?". They surely worked hard to create those graphics and don't deserve those kinds of words.

It's not an insult when it's the truth. With the technology available today, the kinds of products TTG put together are simply not good enough. Making believable animations that don't scream at you and put you off throughout the whole game due to its poor quality is not hard; many lesser companies can do it successfully.

@mjc0961 said: Oh, get over yourself. Telltale's never been heavy on the graphics and if you're supposedly a fan you'd have realized that years ago. Do you really think Law and Order is the kind of license that would do well looking like Crysis or something? It's pretty clear that it's intended as a fairly casual game intended first and foremost for iOS.

It doesn't have to be Crysis or Heavy Rain for the graphics to be adequate. All that is required is to make at least some effort so they can at least pretend to be professional.
    Also, the fact that it is more of a casual game that you "don't have to be a gamer to play" is more disconcerting than it is reassuring.

• @Scnew said: Do you really think Law and Order is the kind of license that would do well looking like Crysis or something?

Yes! It would do great with the looks of, say, LA Noire or Heavy Rain. Noting that Jurassic Park had a lot more realistic-looking faces than the CSI games made me fully expect them to take it in that direction for Law and Order.
    The shock when you then see the trailer take it the other way is not pleasant. I've mellowed out about it since learning it's largely aimed at the iPhone market (I did not realize that), but you shouldn't be so surprised about people having the same reaction.

• I think the game's cell-shaded look looks really good in the still screenshots, but it's a little awkward when you see it in motion in the trailer.

• @caeska said: Not at all, the art style is not the main issue here. Granted, I don't think the cel-shade style fits the L&O genre and I think they're making a huge mistake going in that direction. The issue is the graphics and animation, which completely destroy immersion.

But there's absolutely nothing wrong with the graphics. Everything looks fine. The characters look like who they should look like. Maybe animations are off (I don't see a problem myself), but I don't see anything wrong with the graphics.

It doesn't have to be Crysis or Heavy Rain for the graphics to be adequate. All that is required is to make at least some effort so they can at least pretend to be professional.

And you're still being a dick.

• The graphics are perfectly adequate for me, as well as several other participants in this thread. I respect that a lack of cutting edge graphics has turned you off, but to suggest that something is "simply not good enough" for today's game market for any reason is a generalization which should be avoided. So long as there's a market for what Telltale is selling, as the backlash in this thread suggests, then it's good enough for someone.

• I'm logging back in to ask two questions:

One, who's voicing Lennie Briscoe / Jerry Orbach? 'Cause his voice ain't right. Then again, nobody could act like him. (He was my favorite L&O actor.) ... everyone just sounds -off-.

Two, how the hell did they get Rey Curtis / Benjamin Bratt back in the series? The character took early retirement after his wife became ill and moved to California.

Yes, the continuity bothers me. I'm weird.

• @Foxhack said: I'm logging back in to ask two questions:

One, who's voicing Lennie Briscoe / Jerry Orbach? 'Cause his voice ain't right. Then again, nobody could act like him. (He was my favorite L&O actor.) ... everyone just sounds -off-.

Two, how the hell did they get Rey Curtis / Benjamin Bratt back in the series? The character took early retirement after his wife became ill and moved to California.

I think I can answer one of your questions. Rey Curtis' wife passed away in 2009, I believe he guest stared in one episode that season to bury her. As it's 2011 at the start of the game, I think that would be suitable time to grieve then re-apply to his old job.

• @Foxhack said:

Also; some episodes seem to take place at different times other than the present, so we may flashback to his time on the show, too.

• Im afraid I have to agree I first found out about telltale when they said they were making a Back to the future game (Im incredibly crazy about the films)
    and I was dissapointed with the style of graphics but I thought ok let them it wont be that bad but im afraid I started to doubt them more because of the graphics even though they had a fantastic story.

If telltale put even a little effot into making good graphics people would enjoy there games more, usually I dont complain about cartoony things but since telltale make games for really serious films and tv programs it does annoy me a lot and annoys me even more when I see trailers for games like Uncharted or La noire.

If they put effort into it then they could easily get games in the game of the year awards

So please telltale listen to the fans of the movies and tv programs not the people who came here because you made a game about a talking dog and weird rabbit who speak and travel through time because just knowing that they are fans for that reason means they dont care about serious things.

Add Comment