User Avatar Image

Back to the Future - Can't click "Play"

posted by Capitalist on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

I installed back to the future, after I log in however, the button marked "Play" doesn't launch the episode so I can't start it.

44 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • What an ugly bug. What an even uglier response. I'd be put off, but these folks are making a Jurassic Park game so I am constitutionally incapable of staying mad at 'em.

• It is happening to me, too. The weird thing is, even when I turn off my PC, I never have to log in. Will I have to repay for the game if I uninstall it? :mad:

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@ClockTower said: Will I have to repay for the game if I uninstall it? :mad:

No no, you can always install it again from the setup file / installer you downloaded, and even if you lose that you can just download it again. You'll probably have to log in on the splash screen again to authenticate when you reinstall.

• @Amy Lukima said: This is something that we'll be changing in future game but it will not be changed in BttF. Sorry about that.

Sorry about this then, but I won't be buying your games.

• Still no fix for this? This is just sad. Just bough the game on sale (finally) and it still has all those old bugs :mad:

• User Avatar Image
    JPP

@Amy Lukima said: Have you tried right clicking on the game and selecting run as admin?

@Amy Lukima said: This is something that we'll be changing in future game but it will not be changed in BttF. Sorry about that.

I'm annoyed by this requirement as well. As a "computer-guy" I can tell you that the separation between normal and admin users exists for a damn good reason: to raise your computer's security.

I run almost all my stuff as a normal user, even though I have another account as my computer's administrator as well. This ensures (well, mostly ensures) that if one program I'm running gets hijacked by malicious code (e.g. viruses) they will be able to do less or even no harm.

I don't think Telltale's code is malicious at all (if I thought that I wouldn't ever install your game) but I don't like the idea of giving programs admin rights. I try to keep it to a minimum, thank you.

As I said I'm annoyed by this requirement, but I'm far more annoyed by Telltale's reply "No, we won't change it, too bad you didn't like it. F you and have a nice day"

• User Avatar Image
    JPP

I recommend everyone to use the "compatibility mode" trick instead of admin rights. The reason is that it doesn't have the drawbacks I put in my post above.

Oh and it seemed to have work wonders for me, in the little time I tested it.

EDIT: I just played through the whole 1st episode, no bugs to be seen. It seems compatibility mode is the way to go after all.

• Can iuse that as a shortcut somehow so i don't have to remember to right klick an set compatibility mode every time again?

• User Avatar Image
    JPP

Don't worry, if you set compatibility mode once (either through a shortcut or directly on the EXE) you don't have to do it again unless you uninstall the game.

• @Amy Lukima said: This is something that we'll be changing in future game but it will not be changed in BttF. Sorry about that.

It can be changed. You just won't.

This is still a problem several years later. How delightful.

Add Comment