User Avatar Image

Are you kidding me with these graphics?

posted by caeska on - last edited - Viewed by 4.8K users

Because this is absolutely ridicilous.
When is TTG going to learn and actually implement some proper graphics and animations into their games?
While this style of graphics is too cartoony and doesn't fit the L&O genre at all but I wouldn't mind that so much if Telltale would just take the graphics aspect somewhat seriously.

Look at Jurassic Park: Good characters, good story. But the graphics look like they were, and they probably were, done by amateurs who never attended a graphic design class in their lives.
My 5-year old niece could have done a better job in that department. The character animations as a whole, body language, movement, lip synch and
facial expressions of emotions is completely unrealistic and it is actually done so poorly that it makes it impossible to get immersed into the game world. BTTF was the same, no effort whatsoever put into animations and thus, no entertainment value.

And so far L&O seems poised to do exactly the same mistakes that BTTF and JP did because there is no indication that L&O will be any better. It's too rough around the edges and with the graphics style they've chosen to use they've effectively destroyed the game before it's even released. I'm still hoping to be proven wrong, but somehow I have my doubts.

If they are not going to bother to work with the graphics and animations, then I'm not going to bother with paying money for the game. It really is that simple. The graphics aspect is so important in a computer game that in many cases, it determines whether it becomes a success
or failure. And it is one of the most contributing factors to replay value and how drawn you as a player get into the game.

175 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • You do know that Uncharted and LA Noire cost multi-millions of dollars to make right? They also have more people working on them and usually for 3 times as long. Then they spend sometimes MORE to advertise to ensure they make their money back. Last I knew TTG is still a small company with a small staff that have short deadlines..

Its OK not to like the way the game looks but its a little unfair to compare it to HUGE game releases..

• @yoman45135 said: Im afraid I have to agree I first found out about telltale when they said they were making a Back to the future game (Im incredibly crazy about the films)
    and I was dissapointed with the style of graphics but I thought ok let them it wont be that bad but im afraid I started to doubt them more because of the graphics even though they had a fantastic story.

If telltale put even a little effot into making good graphics people would enjoy there games more, usually I dont complain about cartoony things but since telltale make games for really serious films and tv programs it does annoy me a lot and annoys me even more when I see trailers for games like Uncharted or La noire.

If they put effort into it then they could easily get games in the game of the year awards

So please telltale listen to the fans of the movies and tv programs not the people who came here because you made a game about a talking dog and weird rabbit who speak and travel through time because just knowing that they are fans for that reason means they dont care about serious things.

Because we can only like one franchise and by liking it that means our opinions on others are invalid.

Also; the story on Back to the Future: The Game was mediocre at best. The 'graphics' (which were very good and well-optimized, may I add) are not a point to argue about. If you don't like the aesthetic, that's fine, but don't start saying the game's graphics are bad because they have very little if anything to do with eachother.

• @yoman45135 said:
    So please telltale listen to the fans of the movies and tv programs not the people who came here because you made a game about a talking dog and weird rabbit who speak and travel through time because just knowing that they are fans for that reason means they dont care about serious things.

Go to hell you patronising arse biscuit! If you read the forum histoy for when S&M and TMI where out you would know we care about the game as serious as you care about the movies. Also how the hell is a delorian travling in time anymore serious then a dog and hyperkinetic rabbity thing doing it!?

• @coolsome said: Go to hell you patronising arse biscuit! If you read the forum histoy for when S&M and TMI where out you would know we care about the game as serious as you care about the movies. Also how the hell is a delorian travling in time anymore serious then a dog and hyperkinetic rabbity thing doing it!?

I dont see the point of you getting pissed because it just makes you look like a fanboy, anyway a delorean travelling throught time is serious like bob gale said: 'If you built a time machiene you would want to be able to move it'
    Also the delorean looks really cool and the stainless steel was supposed to make it easier to travel throught time.

Also how can you take a talking dog seriously?

hope that answers your questions.

• @yoman45135 said: I dont see the point of you getting pissed because it just makes you look like a fanboy

People are only fanboys when there fans of something the other person doesn't like

anyway a delorean travelling throught time is serious like bob gale said: 'If you built a time machiene you would want to be able to move it'
    Being practical doesn't make something serious.

Also the delorean looks really cool and the stainless steel was supposed to make it easier to travel throught time.

I wasn't insulting how it looked.

Also how can you take a talking dog seriously?

hope that answers your questions.

Really what it hinges on is in fictinal moves like JP BTTF or games like S&M is how much your willing to hold your sense of disbelief and take it seriously. At the end of the day the all just fiction with wild story's that would never happen in rl.

• @coolsome said:

I wasn't insulting how it looked.

Really what it hinges on is in fictinal moves like JP BTTF or games like S&M is how much your willing to hold your sense of disbelief and take it seriously. At the end of the day the all just fiction with wild story's that would never happen in rl.

You said how is it serious and the only way you ment it is: The fact it''s a car

The facts it's a sports car.

also things like bttf and jp are serious because they have action and emotion and the people who like them agree it's serious.

But when it's things like S&M there are no action or emotion it's just some weird random things just to make people laugh.

Even though there is comedy in bttf it's not what it's built on it's very serious for example when doc gets shot or the clocktower scene or the end when marty thinks he will never see doc again.

Can you really say S&M has emotion like that or epic action where people almost die because they didnt escape in time.
    (I dont know I have not played it but I have seen loads of trailers and it looks silly to me)

• @yoman45135 said:

Can you really say S&M has emotion like that or epic action where people almost die because they didnt escape in time.
    (I dont know I have not played it but I have seen loads of trailers and it looks silly to me)

Yes yes it does. I fail to see how it makes something serious though. I mean hot fuzz and double team had that in it and there's no way there serious movies.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@caeska said:
    Look at Jurassic Park: Good characters, good story. But the graphics look like they were, and they probably were, done by amateurs who never attended a graphic design class in their lives.

...maybe you should attend a graphic design class first? I assure you, JP's graphic design was marvelous. It's the 100-programmer/20-million game engine that just isn't there, and I'm not sure if anyone really expected that.

I've my quarrels with the graphic style as seen in that first L&O trailer, but pros are at work here nonetheless.

• Also; just because something's silly doesn't mean it can't pack an emotional punch. End of Blackadder IV strikes me as a good example of this.

• @yoman45135 said: Can you really say S&M has emotion like that or epic action where people almost die because they didnt escape in time.

Go over to the Sam and Max forum and read all the delicious tears shed by people over the Sam and Max season 3 ending.

Add Comment