User Avatar Image

Are you kidding me with these graphics?

posted by caeska on - last edited - Viewed by 5.9K users

Because this is absolutely ridicilous.
When is TTG going to learn and actually implement some proper graphics and animations into their games?
While this style of graphics is too cartoony and doesn't fit the L&O genre at all but I wouldn't mind that so much if Telltale would just take the graphics aspect somewhat seriously.

Look at Jurassic Park: Good characters, good story. But the graphics look like they were, and they probably were, done by amateurs who never attended a graphic design class in their lives.
My 5-year old niece could have done a better job in that department. The character animations as a whole, body language, movement, lip synch and
facial expressions of emotions is completely unrealistic and it is actually done so poorly that it makes it impossible to get immersed into the game world. BTTF was the same, no effort whatsoever put into animations and thus, no entertainment value.

And so far L&O seems poised to do exactly the same mistakes that BTTF and JP did because there is no indication that L&O will be any better. It's too rough around the edges and with the graphics style they've chosen to use they've effectively destroyed the game before it's even released. I'm still hoping to be proven wrong, but somehow I have my doubts.

If they are not going to bother to work with the graphics and animations, then I'm not going to bother with paying money for the game. It really is that simple. The graphics aspect is so important in a computer game that in many cases, it determines whether it becomes a success
or failure. And it is one of the most contributing factors to replay value and how drawn you as a player get into the game.

175 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @coolsome said: Well I'm a fan of Law and Order and have been making topics and posts saying TTG should do Law and Order since 2009 and I'm not disappointed with the graphics. And it has nothing to do with my enjoyment of Sam and Max.

I mean hardcore fans people who have posters in there houses and have the complete boxset, those are the people who are upset with the graphics.

• @yoman45135 said: I mean hardcore fans people who have posters in there houses and have the complete boxset, those are the people who are upset with the graphics.

I have some box sets! And I could go buy a poster if it means my option is valid.

• @coolsome said: I have some box sets! And I could go buy a poster if it means my option is valid.

Yes but you dont think about Law & Order every day and nothing else like some people do who really love Law & Order
    (Just to clarify im NOT one of those people)

• @yoman45135 said: Yes but you dont think about Law & Order every day and nothing else like some people do who really love Law & Order
    (Just to clarify im NOT one of those people)

How do you know what I think! And I do think about Jack McCoy every moment of every day.

custom_onion_gif_1.gif

• @coolsome said: How do you know what I think! And I do think about Jack McCoy every moment of every day.

custom_onion_gif_1.gif

Because I know everything mwahahaa

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

@caeska said: When is TTG going to learn and actually implement some proper graphics and animations into their games?
    While this style of graphics is too cartoony and doesn't fit the L&O genre at all but I wouldn't mind that so much if Telltale would just take the graphics aspect somewhat seriously.

/snip/ [courtesy of Vainamoinen]

but really telltale is taking a different approach on the graphic.there are serious game with cartoony graphics like Borderlands and XIII (although XIII's ending sucked)

• Like I said before, Graphics are the least important aspect to me. They suck resources for the PC. The important point is, it's serviceable. I can tell who the characters are. It's not like they are atari graphics or some bull like that.

• Yeah I do not understand the backlash from some.. you can tell who all the characters are supposed to be and I think the likeness is rather good.... and avoided the uncanny valley

I think its ridiculous to assume hardcore fans of the series would dismiss this game because it doesn't have ground breaking visuals.. I'm not really a fan of any of the shows but I assumed they were more story driven type dramas..

Maybe I am just old.. but I grew up playing 8bit graphics.. so for me I can enjoy games that do not have the latest graphics.. It would be an interesting study to see if newer gamers who did not come up during the 80s and early 90s expect graphics.

• @Irishmile said: I'm not really a fan of any of the shows but I assumed they were more story driven type dramas..

No its the sexyness of Jack McCoy that keeps us watching....(TTG you need a horrny sign of attraction emotion.)

• @yoman45135 said: it's more childish though it's not serious look at both of those games they are not serious they are full of jokes and things which are impossible in real life.

ok let me give you a example:

Animated movies like Rango or Cars or Nemo are all animated and not serious but things like Back to the future, Law & Order and Jurassic park are not animated but serious, so my point is if it's animated it's the people who made it way of showing you it's not ment to be taken seriously.

I'm pretty sure that if you ever met Brad Bird he'd punch you in the face*. Hayao Miyazaki likely wouldn't assault you but I'm sure he'd shed a single tear. The masters of animation have been crusading for decades against ignorant opinions such as these. Those who think that Animation is a genre and that that genre is only aimed at kids really don't know the first thing about the history of animation. You can make any kind of animated film you like, in any style, and aimed at any audience. Do you think something like Perfect Blue was made for kids? Do you think the first ten minutes of Up were not supposed to be taken seriously?

Also, just because something is live action doesn't mean it's serious. Look at practically anything by Mel Brooks. Something like Space Balls is just as silly as Sam & Max.

Edit: *I don't mean this in a violent 'I hate you' kind of way, it probably helps to know that Brad Bird is passionately against people dismissing the great things the medium of animation is capable of achieving.

Add Comment