User Avatar Image

Are you kidding me with these graphics?

posted by caeska on - last edited - Viewed by 5.8K users

Because this is absolutely ridicilous.
When is TTG going to learn and actually implement some proper graphics and animations into their games?
While this style of graphics is too cartoony and doesn't fit the L&O genre at all but I wouldn't mind that so much if Telltale would just take the graphics aspect somewhat seriously.

Look at Jurassic Park: Good characters, good story. But the graphics look like they were, and they probably were, done by amateurs who never attended a graphic design class in their lives.
My 5-year old niece could have done a better job in that department. The character animations as a whole, body language, movement, lip synch and
facial expressions of emotions is completely unrealistic and it is actually done so poorly that it makes it impossible to get immersed into the game world. BTTF was the same, no effort whatsoever put into animations and thus, no entertainment value.

And so far L&O seems poised to do exactly the same mistakes that BTTF and JP did because there is no indication that L&O will be any better. It's too rough around the edges and with the graphics style they've chosen to use they've effectively destroyed the game before it's even released. I'm still hoping to be proven wrong, but somehow I have my doubts.

If they are not going to bother to work with the graphics and animations, then I'm not going to bother with paying money for the game. It really is that simple. The graphics aspect is so important in a computer game that in many cases, it determines whether it becomes a success
or failure. And it is one of the most contributing factors to replay value and how drawn you as a player get into the game.

175 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Woodsyblue said: ....................It's funny to think that back when The Simpsons first made the leap from animated shorts to their own show the idea that a cartoon that wasn't aimed only at children could succeed was considered by many to be preposterous, and now it's like the most successful television show of all time. Shows like South Park, Family Guy, Futurama, etc, just further enforce what can be achieved with the medium.

Prior to the Simpsons the Flintstones had been the longest running cartoon in a primetime spot... while the Flintstones is known as wholesome entertainment it was infact aimed at a broad audience including adults... hence the primetime air time.

• @caeska said: Death of Buchanan
    Death of Edgar
    Death of Teri
    Mason getting radiation poisoning
    Death of Renee
    Lynn McGill's death by nerve gas
    Jack being taken to a Chinese prison
    Wayne Palmer's assassination attempt
    Daniels completing Wayne's term
    President Taylor effectively ending her term after Season 8
    Suitcase nuke blowing killing countless innocents
    Jack being forced to sacrifice Paul Rayne's life to save a terrorist
    James Heller being forced to resign after confronting President Logan
    Airforce One being shot down and killing President Keeler's son
    Jack being forced to kill Curtis

That took me less than 45 seconds to come up with, and there are many more moments that far exceed the Simba scene.

That list was pretty much what I was expecting, a bunch of secondary, poorly developed character deaths and M. Night Shyamalan-like twists-for-the-sake-of-twists that leave most viewers shocked rather than genuinely saddened, so shocked they have to tune into the next episode and the next season to see what happens next ("24" is a one-trick pony that way).

You may find these things sadder than Mustafa's death but I'm willing to wager that all but the most ardent "24" fans and/or the most despondent animated film detractors would completely agree with you.

@caeska said: Prior to the Simpsons the Flintstones had been the longest running cartoon in a primetime spot... while the Flintstones is known as wholesome entertainment it was infact aimed at a broad audience including adults... hence the primetime air time.

themoreyouknowh.jpg
    (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

• User Avatar Image
    RyanKaufman Telltale Staff

Yeah, I dunno. If you're relying on photo-realism to move your audience, you're doing it wrong.

• @RyanKaufman said: Yeah, I dunno. If you're relying on photo-realism to move your audience, you're doing it wrong.

Yeah.
    "Style" > "Photorealism"

• @Woodsyblue said:
    A perfect example. It's funny to think that back when The Simpsons first made the leap from animated shorts to their own show the idea that a cartoon that wasn't aimed only at children could succeed was considered by many to be preposterous, and now it's like the most successful television show of all time. Shows like South Park, Family Guy, Futurama, etc, just further enforce what can be achieved with the medium.

Is the simpsons serious?!! No it's not even the slightest and my point was a cartoony style is less serious than a more real life looking graphics.

• User Avatar Image
    harrisonpink Telltale Staff

@yoman45135 said: Is the simpsons serious?!! No it's not even the slightest and my point was a cartoony style is less serious than a more real life looking graphics.

I don't know. I've watched a lot of serious things that were "cartoony" that were very emotionally evocative. How about Akira? How about the ending to Bastion? All it was was a painting, a song and a narrator's voice over and I was almost in tears.

Just goes to show that it's a bit silly to say one style is more emotionally evocative than the other. It all comes down to the story-teller's ability to draw you in and make you care about the characters.

• @harrisonpink said: I don't know. I've watched a lot of serious things that were "cartoony" that were very emotionally evocative. How about Akira? How about the ending to Bastion? All it was was a painting, a song and a narrator's voice over and I was almost in tears.

Just goes to show that it's a bit silly to say one style is more emotionally evocative than the other. It all comes down to the story-teller's ability to draw you in and make you care about the characters.

Ok this sounds like im being a smartass but I dont mean to sound like one, If there is a cartoon film and a family are crying because there dog died, but then there was a real life version with the same thing I would find the real life version more sad because you believe it more, if it is all cartoony and full of really silly jokes then you dont believe it and you can say: 'Just a cartoon it's not real'.

Yes maybe SOMETIMES < (Look what I just said everyone only sometimes :P)
    Sometimes a more cartoony film or tv program or even a game can be sad but it is never more sad than a real life thing because if it looks real you can believe it more and be more sad.

Of course it is too late for telltale to change the style for law and order but I am very sure they will get more very big franchises (Maybe a back to the future season 2 wink wink)
    But you need to think about making better graphics and as I have said many time's it doesnt have to be like La noire but at least something I can believe and say, 'Well done telltale I can see you put effort into every aspect of the game 10/10'

On a side note.
    I really like the back to the future game but the only problem was the graphics, it had a fantastic story and I liked the characters but then when I looked at the graphics I was dissapointed because if the graphics had been better I would of believed the game was more of a continuation and not so much another cartoon series.

• User Avatar Image
    harrisonpink Telltale Staff

@yoman45135 said: if it is all cartoony and full of really silly jokes then you dont believe it and you can say: 'Just a cartoon it's not real'

Aha, but now we're talking about two different things. Cartoony visuals and cartoony writing. Silly jokes would of course ruin anything dramatic and emotional, but the same can be said of a silly program that's not a cartoon. The Three Stooges comes to mind. You laugh when the characters beat each other up, because it's written to be silly. If that were happening in real life, it would be monsterous! :p

@yoman45135 said: But you need to think about making better graphics and as I have said many time's it doesnt have to be like La noire but at least something I can believe and say, 'Well done telltale I can see you put effort into every aspect of the game 10/10'

I can vouch 100% that the people who make games at Telltale do it because it's their passion. There isn't a person I've met at Telltale who puts less than their whole heart into what they do here, if that counts for anything :P

• This argument is going nowhere - Different people think the game should go for different styles. Telltale made a decision rather than some half-way monster. And I'd say that's a brave, bold thing to do.

• @yoman45135 said: Ok this sounds like im being a smartass but I dont mean to sound like one, If there is a cartoon film and a family are crying because there dog died, but then there was a real life version with the same thing I would find the real life version more sad because you believe it more, if it is all cartoony and full of really silly jokes then you dont believe it and you can say: 'Just a cartoon it's not real'.

I don't think that's true at all. I often find that cartoons can have heightened emotional impacts if done well. I have friends who outright refuse to watch the Futurama episode "Jurassic Bark" because the ending makes them collapse into a fit of tears and sobbing.

Add Comment