User Avatar Image

Jurassic Park The Game: Review thread - post your impressions here!

posted by waroftheworlds01 on - last edited - Viewed by 21.8K users

The release date for the game is finally here and I'm sure everyone will be dieing to voice their opinions on the game as well as post reviews from other websites. Instead of having thousands of post with different reviews, I figured it would be easier to have one thread dedicated to Jurassic Park reviews.

I haven't been able to play it yet but I will be posting seperate reviews for each episode here as I finish them.

So if anyone wants to share their opinon after finally getting to play the game, or want to share links to reviews of the game from other website here's a great thread to do it.

And, of course, try to use those Spoiler tabs when needed!!!

432 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @jpark_08 said: The writing and characterization is lackluster, the story adventure linear, puzzles non-existant, and the QTE gameplay is distracting and unresponsive. Fans knew what to expect, the problem is that Telltale didn't deliver.

THe writing and characterization is the game's strongest point, imo.

And plenty of fans think Telltale delivered.

• @MrSeyker said: THe writing and characterization is the game's strongest point, imo.

And plenty of fans think Telltale delivered.

While I agree the writing is the games strongest point, it's still not particularly well done and far below the standards Telltale have set in the past. I could go into deep detail, but I believe the point has already been made several times.

It's clear Telltale sunk alot of love into this game, and I'm glad some fans enjoyed it, but they are definitely in the minority. For most, the cutesy film references aren't enough to carry the experience.

• I agree that the characters and story are actually the best parts. It's not easy getting that right so it's even more of a shame that it's ruined by the most tedious gameplay experience I can remember.

You have to wonder though... they made this quite good looking world and everything, you could do so much with it. Were Telltale tied to a tree by the Jurassic Park rights owners? It's possible. I can't imagine Telltale willingly making something that "plays" like this. You could create such an awesome action/adventure game with this world. It's a real waste.

• Finally I got to play this game. It probably doesnt matter anymore, but heres my impression:

I was very pleased with the writing, story was compelling and the characters believable and it really was Jurassic Park. There were very intense and well made moments and the parts I thought would be too silly (like the bone shaker) werent that bad in the moment of playing, even though I still would have liked it a bit different afterwards.

The graphics were decent, of course they could have been better (and maybe should have been) but I guess its simply not possible within the given budget and stuff.

There were sound and graphic glitches, some of them really annoying and able to destroy the moment when the player cannot look past them (repeating dialogue in the otherwise very beautiful second scene on the lookout, rough music transitions, unhearable speaking voice etc) , but nothing serious like crashes or something.

The gameplay is like everyone says. Not really entertaining and sometimes even distracting and anti-immersive. I remember the scene where you have to sneak up to the T-Rex, I wanted to look at what happens on screen, how cool it looks to have the Rex in the background and yourself sneaking up, or the other scenes where the dinosaur gets closer and closer. But I was forced to look at the prompts to see what and when to push, wich I'm not interested in at all. It forces me to focus on things I'm not interested in and pulls me out of the moment. Something easier and more intuitive like having to move the right stick slowly left and right would be much more appropriate. But generally I think this whole QTE concept does that (pulling you out of the immersion) when you have too much and unlogic prompts, less and more forgiving would be better.

Otherwise I would have liked more moments of awe and wonder and more use of the main music theme of the movie. But in the end I definetly enjoyed the game and as a JP-Fan I'm very pleased. You just have to tackle it with the right mindset. This game is at least better than the two movie sequels together.

• jurassic park game is very good game but its cost is toomuch for me(indian) could you give consession for India
    thanks @waroftheworlds01 said: The release date for the game is finally here and I'm sure everyone will be dieing to voice their opinions on the game as well as post reviews from other websites. Instead of having thousands of post with different reviews, I figured it would be easier to have one thread dedicated to Jurassic Park reviews.

I haven't been able to play it yet but I will be posting seperate reviews for each episode here as I finish them.

So if anyone wants to share their opinon after finally getting to play the game, or want to share links to reviews of the game from other website here's a great thread to do it.

And, of course, try to use those Spoiler tabs when needed!!!

• I will start this off that I discovered Telltale games with the "Monkey Island" title and loved it. I then moved on to the latest "Sam & Max" and then "Back to the Future" and enjoyed them both. I love that style of adventure game I did not think existed anymore.

I cannot say how disappointed I am so far with Jurassic Park. The story itself is just fine and well done in parts. But I just did not feel like I was playing a game very often. Pushing directional arrows to me is a little on the boring side. I was hoping for more of the "Monkey Island", "Sam & Max" gameplay and perhaps I just did not read closely enough regarding this games description.

I'm I believe half way through the game and it's a struggle to push myself to make it to the end.

• It's working for me. During the Dilophosaurus attack, I just nearly woke up the house screaming. You have to kind of lose yourself in it, but if you let it take you, it'a an intense experience.

• I'm not against the people who found something to like in this game. Let them enjoy their Simon Sez with dinosaurs. Saying that is actually pretty optimistic since Simon Sez can be a fun game when your 8-year-old cousin is stuck with you for one night and you gotta find ways to entertain him.

But I'm pretty sad to let go of my hopes relied on a game company which proved itself to be distinct and not afraid to battle against the restraining forces of today's gaming market; telling people WHAT TO LIKE and WHAT NOT TO LIKE, by simply making games that are technically inferior and plot-wise unceremonial; proving such games can STILL be creative and entertaining. But then they had to do this; leaning on the shoulder of classics, feeding people what they were fed years ago by wrapping it in the worst type of fabric paper to be found. First by Back to the Future, now this. I'm sorry Telltale, as I'm no longer a fan who's willing to buy more from you, support you and hopelessly try to get you known in a dire, bland place such as Turkey, so that perhaps I can show people here there are games that offer so much more than what they simply want to see from them.

I see where you all come from with the argument of "I'm not a gamer anyway, I like it because it's nostalgia". If that's how Telltale's going to be, a low time business whose purpose of existence conflicts in itself -by making games for non-gamer folks who are aware of what they're playing is not a game-, then I have nothing to see from you. Telltale once had the charm, power and creativity enough to turn non-gamers into actual gamers. They had their own stories and their own tactics to lure in curious, clueless people, and they did not need to rub cultural references on your faces in order to do so.

Actually, this one is to all you folks; being a gamer is not a talent, nor it is something that requires effort to achieve. It's a form of entertainment and it has its much more sophisticated, intense side that you don't actually have to delve into in order to call yourselves a gamer. It's the same with cinema, you don't have to watch as many movies as you can to enjoy one. But I digress, we all have our guilty pleasures and every now and then we all need to see something that is FAMILIAR as opposed to new and fresh. I'm only bitching because I wouldn't like seeing that liking Telltale has become a "guilt".

Oh well. My opinion on the GAME, on the other hand, is it's forgetable, incompetent, bland, far from charming, unsatisfactory and a chore to play.

• Another disappointed player. But I already noticed TTG sliding down, otherwise I would have been more active here, purchasing here instead of sales on Steam.

The story is good. But it needs a decent packaging. I liked Fahrenheit (besides the ending), so it's not like I dislike the QTE-style. But the execution is just so sloppy.

Main menu when escaping selecting camera's? Got me swearing every time. Having that at all (camera's) instead of free movement. How hard it is to select something clickable with your mouse, you first have to center it, combo's that are impossible to get since they appear slower than you can click them? That's just bad. Also the prompts could appear anywhere on the screen. Would be better if they have a fixed spot (and bigger) so you don't just fail/die because you didn't notice the prompt till too late. And the bugs.

Not to mention the sound. Many mentioned it for Sam & Max, MI and BTTF and aside from one BTTF episode I never noticed, but here it was popping, buzzing, sudden increases or decreases in sound that occassionally made conversation a pain to follow.

:(

• Enjoyed the game but the PS3 version needs fixing. Massive amounts of slow down.
    Will TTG fix it?

Add Comment