User Avatar Image

JAM: January Animation Month - Make 31 Animations In January

posted by Jennifer on - last edited - Viewed by 5.7K users

I have participated in NaNoWriMo and FAWM, and I wished there was a similar thing for my biggest love: animation. So, the JAM was born!

I know there's people here who enjoy making animations, so I thought I'd see if anyone wants to join me. I'll try it regardless if I have anyone joining me, but it would be a lot more fun to have other people joining in the fun. :)

I started up a simple page for the JAM on my website, here. Like the other challenges like this, it's just for fun, there's no prizes, and there's only one challenge: to make 31 animations in the 31 days of January. It doesn't have to be an animation a day, you can make as many animations a day as you want. The animation can be flash, traditionally animated, stop-motion, CGI, animated gif or whatever you wish. They can be 1 second long or they can be 20 minutes long. It's up to you. Just remember the goal is to make 31 animations in 31 days, so use your own judgement so you don't burn yourself out.

So, anyone here feel like joining in on the fun? :D

163 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • ..it's over? Oh my god, it's over! [Falls to knees] Praise the Lord, it's finally over!

Thanks for starting the thread, Jennifer. It's actually been kinda fun forcing myself to do stuff - I have a hard time doing that. Plus it finally got me to finish those Docto-forthcoming project's walking animations, so that's good.

Now, to come up with something similar for February...

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@jeeno0142 said: Just thought I'd pop into this thread to say well done to you all! You've kept me entertained for the month. :)

I'm glad to hear it. I had fun doing it. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D

@jeeno0142 said: Thanks for starting the thread, Jennifer. It's actually been kinda fun forcing myself to do stuff - I have a hard time doing that. Plus it finally got me to finish those Docto-forthcoming project's walking animations, so that's good.

You're welcome. I'm glad that you were able to get some work done on stuff you wanted to do. I was able to do that too with a few animations, since a few of them were ideas that I had in my head for a while but never actually sat down and took the time to do them. :)

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

January Animation Month is back for year two. :)

Last year's challenge was fun, so I decided that I'd start it up again this year. :) The challenge is to make 31 animations in the 31 days of January.

The rules have been changed just a bit this year to make it a bit more easy-going than before. Rather than the strict one animation a day rule, it's just 31 animations in the 31 days of January. So you can do an animation a day, several animations over several days, or even all 31 in one day if you want (although I doubt anyone will do them all in one day, you're more than welcome to try ;)).

The animations can be about anything. They can be animated gif, flash, traditionally animated, stop-motion, CGI, or whatever you wish. They can be 1 second long or they can be 20 minutes long. It's up to you. Just remember you have to make 31 animations in the 31 days of January, so use your own judgement so you don't burn yourself out.

You can update any animation as much as you like throughout the month or beyond. After all, this is all just for fun. :)

The fun will start on January 1, but feel free to post here before then if you want to participate or if you have any questions. :D

• I still couldn't manage 31 animations.
    I don't think I could handle even 1! XD

(I kind of suck at animation. Well.. suck at pretty much anything actually. (My spritework is sloppy, my music prowess stunted, my animation... what animation, and lets not get started on coding! XD))

OH! I have a hilarious idea!

I'm going to track down the very software I used as a kid. 3D Movie Maker, and make stuff with that!

(I used to love creating jeuvanile madness with that program. And I'm definately going to enjoy making stuff with it again!)

EDIT: Got it set up and I'm making something already! XD

Should have it done by tomorrow.
    Boy o boy. Working with this software was always fun.
    (I wonder if there is a modern day equivalent?... :/)

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@RetroVortex said: I still couldn't manage 31 animations.
    I don't think I could handle even 1! XD

(I kind of suck at animation. Well.. suck at pretty much anything actually. (My spritework is sloppy, my music prowess stunted, my animation... what animation, and lets not get started on coding! XD))

OH! I have a hilarious idea!

I'm going to track down the very software I used as a kid. 3D Movie Maker, and make stuff with that!

(I used to love creating jeuvanile madness with that program. And I'm definately going to enjoy making stuff with it again!)

EDIT: Got it set up and I'm making something already! XD

Should have it done by tomorrow.
    Boy o boy. Working with this software was always fun.
    (I wonder if there is a modern day equivalent?... :/)

Sure, you can use whatever you want to animate. Last year people did animations in Animation Shop and other animated gif programs, Windows Movie Maker, Avidemux, and Flash animations. I'm almost tempted to try to do something in Mario Paint this year. :P

I wish I knew about 3D Movie Maker when I was a kid. That would have been fun. :) When I was really little I made animations in Disney Animation Studio, and later I used to make animations in Klik n Play. :p

• I suck at animation, but I'll give it a try.

• Does staying still count as an animation?

• No, but I think it counts as inanimation.

• DeviantArt taught me how to animate.

In first frame you draw a disproportional anime styled female staring at the viewer cluelessly. In second frame, with the tan color selected, you use bucket tool on her eyes.

• In that case I doubt I'll be able to create any sort of animations. I really suck at flash animations. It's more likely I'll succeed in reanimation, the process of turning corpses into the undead. Let me know when you have one of those competitions.

Add Comment