User Avatar Image

Kingdom of Sorrow

posted by exo on - last edited - Viewed by 692 users

Infamous Adventures (guys who remade KQ3 originally), recently released their SQ2 remake and anounced a King's Quest game based somewhat on the Kingdom of Sorrow novel.

http://www.infamous-adventures.com/home/index.php?page=kos

Think I may be more excited about that game then this one. Likely won't have the production value of Tell Tale, but it looks like it may 'feel' a lot more like a traditional sierra game.

Too bad the guys at AGD Interactive aren't doing it though - they seem to have the best grasp of the aspects of KQ games that I enjoy.

56 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Anakin Skywalker said: Since it is now canon (from TSL)...

Why and how is it now canon?

• Beats me.

But I think we came here to talk about Kingdom of Sorrow, in any case.

• I own the novels... Having read this book it will be interesting to see how they handle some of it..

• Ironically, most of us working on the game haven't actually read the book. ;)

The game will be different. As I understand it, we are following the core plot, but adding/changing/and diverging from it to make it work better as a game. From what I understand, most of the team that has actually read the novel don't think it's very good. ;)

• User Avatar Image
    Cez

@Lambonius said: As I understand it, we are following the core plot, but adding/changing/and diverging from it to make it work better as a game.

Blasphemy!!

;)

• @Lambonius said: most of the team that has actually read the novel don't think it's very good. ;)

Buahahahaha!... That's messed up.

There are some bits that just would not translate well... But its not that bad of the book... none of the KQ books are all that great.. but they are not too bad either.

• From what I understand, most of the team that has actually read the novel don't think it's very good.

Well, when it comes to plots, none of the official games plots are truly that great, they were simple, and pure... Roberta wasn't necessarily the best story teller, it was technology where she shined. But that's actually part of their charm! What I like about them, uncomplicated!

But yes, if you went by plots alone most of her games were more B-grade than 'Epic'...

The novels probably, as far as story, are technically better written than the plots of most of the KQ games, latter KQs excluded (but the novels are no where near quality of say Tolkien, Terry Brooks, or Pratchett or even C.S. Lewis)... But that actually makes them go a bit too far, outside of the feel of KQ... They fall more into 'high fantasy', then fairy tale... Some elements that are kinda too dark for KQ (I'd argue darker than KQ8)... Especially Floating Castle (which actually boarders on dark fantasy), but lesser extent Kingdom of Sorrow...

There is no way that they could directly be a 'adventure game' in their current form, as the characters do not have 'puzzles', or 'inventory'. They don't go about 'trading items' to get past things (except in one or two places). In general they talk their way through, or fight their way through obstacles... both of which don't really fit KQ exactly...

• The ones who are writing this (Myself included) have read the novel. It's not an outstanding piece of literature. Adapting a novel to be played as an adventure game is a tricky prospect, so yes - we've added puzzles and quests that dovetail with the overall story from the book. If you've read the novel, you'd be able to follow the plot of the game for sure. We have tried to retain the "fairy tale story" feel of the original King's Quest games, and I think fans of the classic series will be very pleased.

It's also good to note, I feel, that no prior playing of any King's Quests is necessary to play this game as well. There are allusions to other games in the series, and fans will recognize them, but they're not needed to understand the plot of this game nor needed for completion. This game will be accessible to both old fans and new fans, I and really like that. It is it's own stand-alone story.

Bt

• It's also good to note, I feel, that no prior playing of any King's Quests is necessary to play this game as well. There are allusions to other games in the series, and fans will recognize them, but they're not needed to understand the plot of this game nor needed for completion. This game will be accessible to both old fans and new fans, I and really like that. It is it's own stand-alone story.

With that, I think you have hit the nail on what the KQ series was... Simple, and not overly complicated plots... Not designed only for longtime fans, but newcomers as well (they come in at any point during the series and find stand alone story to enjoy, no need to play earlier games)...

This is exactly why I feel your SQ2 remake is nearly perfect! It get's Space Quest, it gets Sierra in general! It doesn't try to be more than what the series originally was...

Add Comment