User Avatar Image

Are you kidding me with these graphics?

posted by caeska on - last edited - Viewed by 5.9K users

Because this is absolutely ridicilous.
When is TTG going to learn and actually implement some proper graphics and animations into their games?
While this style of graphics is too cartoony and doesn't fit the L&O genre at all but I wouldn't mind that so much if Telltale would just take the graphics aspect somewhat seriously.

Look at Jurassic Park: Good characters, good story. But the graphics look like they were, and they probably were, done by amateurs who never attended a graphic design class in their lives.
My 5-year old niece could have done a better job in that department. The character animations as a whole, body language, movement, lip synch and
facial expressions of emotions is completely unrealistic and it is actually done so poorly that it makes it impossible to get immersed into the game world. BTTF was the same, no effort whatsoever put into animations and thus, no entertainment value.

And so far L&O seems poised to do exactly the same mistakes that BTTF and JP did because there is no indication that L&O will be any better. It's too rough around the edges and with the graphics style they've chosen to use they've effectively destroyed the game before it's even released. I'm still hoping to be proven wrong, but somehow I have my doubts.

If they are not going to bother to work with the graphics and animations, then I'm not going to bother with paying money for the game. It really is that simple. The graphics aspect is so important in a computer game that in many cases, it determines whether it becomes a success
or failure. And it is one of the most contributing factors to replay value and how drawn you as a player get into the game.

175 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Please take a bit of heat out of this discussion. Otherwise, continue. ;)

Also, consider the results of this poll done in the BTTF forum on whether the game should have "cartoony" or "realistic" graphics:

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17272

With 419 voters, this is probably one of the most representative polls ever done on this forum.

• @Woodsyblue said: Maybe you should look at what you posted, you said they were wrong about BttF. In fact your exact words were "Im not saying that people who prefer cartoony graphics are completley wrong full stop in everything but with back to the future they are wrong, true fans take back to the future very seriously and most fans dont like the art style."

I'll also mention that you say they are wrong without saying why they are wrong. All you talk about is seriousness and who the true fans are, like you have the right to decide such things.

Jurassic Park's graphics got blasted way worse than BttF, they look nice on the surface but the people and dinosaurs have stiff, unrealistic animations. On the whole people seemed more happy with the BttF graphics than JP's so I'm not quite sure why you are clambering for "just a tad better than jurrasic park" graphics.

Back to the Future is all odd silly scenes. Almost every scene in the film is laden with gags and jokes. Look at the opening sequence, which sets the scene for the entire movie. You're in a house and the camera is panning past old newspaper articles, an absurd amount of clocks, and some of Doc's crazy inventions. Marty enters and flicks on a bunch of switches and turns up some dials to full one by one. He plugs his electric guitar into into a comically massive set of speakers. Then he plays a note on the guitar and the speaker explodes, the force of the explosion sends Marty flying into a La-Z-Boy on the other side of the room and a set of shelves collapses on him. He pulls himself out of the mess, unhurt and unscratched. 'Whoa, rock'n'roll,' he says. This is not something that happens in a serious film, it's more like a live action cartoon, right down to the slapstick. Less than five minutes into the film I've found an example of it not being serious. If you still don't believe me I can find a lot more. I think this live action cartoon style the film has is a big reason why a lot of people (though clearly not you) have accepted the cartoony art style of the game. The films are not totally unlike a cartoon, and thus cartoon visuals in the game are not out of place.

You keep saying people take it seriously but just because you do but this doesn't mean the films take themselves seriously.

And don't say I've missed the point of the scenes. First off it's not best to challenge my film knowledge, I'm an A+ average cinema studies student and have spent a considerable amount of time dissecting films and looking at what makes them work. Second off, you are right about one thing, it's not a spoof it's a comedy, but it still doesn't take itself seriously, few comedies do.

You take it seriously, fine, but that doesn't mean the media associated with the franchise has to adhere to your vision of what the films are, especially when your vision is as misguided as thinking the films are serious. I think it's more important that they adhere to the spirit of the films, which is more cartoony in nature then I'm sure you're ever going to admit.

I don't understand the point of this list. So are you saying the films are high profile? Do you think the films being high profile somehow make them more serious than other comedies? I'm a bit lost by this to be perfictly honost.

Why do you think cartoony graphics equate a lack of effort? And we're talking about small, downloadable games here. Telltale needs to keep the file sizes low so people with bad internet connections can still have access to their games. There was never any hope that Telltale would have AAA realistic graphics, it's more a matter of art style.

Good to hear, I just hope you give more respect to cartoony games then you do to animated movies.

Also, check your wording. I can't lie to you about what you like, only you can lie about what you like. I can accuse and you can admit or deny; that's about the extent of it.

And I think this pet peeve of yours has blinded you to a couple of realities:

1) The majority of people don't agree with you on the art style.
    2) The films aren't supposed to be serious, they're fun, over-the-top popcorn entertainment with some decent human drama thrown in to ground the experience.

I'm not the one with the closed mind here. Alas, you are still under the impression that your opinion on BttF's art style is the only one that matters. Why? Because you take it more seriously? You take Back to the Future so seriously you fail see how little it takes itself seriously. Yes, you're a fan but you don't seem to understand the subject of your fandom. Taking something seriously doesn't necessarily mean you understand it.

You really have yet to come up with a good reason why the BttF game should have had a realistic art direction. All you do is talk about seriousness and apparent unhappy fans who don't seem to be a numerous as you think they are. You keep saying the films are serious and yet you have provided no reasons why you think they are serious.

For both our sakes please explain, hopefully using examples, why you think BttF, which is filled with jokes and gags and unrealistic cartoony elements, is such a serious film series, because I don't understand where you are coming from with this.

Yes it is a comedy but look at star wars, do you think that is actually realistic, no but it is taken very seriously, I have watched behind the scene videos and Bob Gale or the rest of the bttf team have never said: ''we added that as a joke'' only time was with the delorean.

Because people keep saying the delorean is a stupid thing for time machiene, what do you think is better, a Limo?

Overall back to the future is taken very seriously and across the internet many people have complained about the art style saying things like: ''It is so stupid, does not fit bttf at all''

So you saying me and a few other people on the telltale forums are the only people who care about good respectable graphics is a lie.

Also you said you think The Untouchables would be perfect with bttf graphics, if you actually think that you are impossible to convince

Now I think this really needs to start being more about Law & Order.

• BttF does not rely on slapstick humor; the franchise is simply not as "dark" to give out more of a serious tone. But the thing is "cartoon style" never necessarily means CHILDISH or anything like that.

• @Falanca said: But the thing is "cartoon style" never necessarily means CHILDISH or anything like that.

Yes I admit I was wrong with that but I will never say that the art style bttf had was perfect, like I said something just a bit better than the jurrasic park art style would work really well.

• @yoman45135 said: Yes it is a comedy but look at star wars, do you think that is actually realistic, no but it is taken very seriously,

Just because people take something seriously doesn't mean it's serious. However, Star Wars is not a comedy, it's straight science fiction with a few good ad-libs. Star Wars is not set in our reality, there are different rules in the Star Wars universe. In the fictional universe the films take place in, light sabres and gay androids are not out of place. Science fiction fans are renowned for taking the things they love too seriously. With science fiction it's all about making the rules believable in their own context. The shows that succeed offer major escapism which drives a certain percentage of the population nuts. Star Wars isn't realistic to us, but it's realistic to people in the Star Wars universe.

Just so you know I don't think taking these things seriously is wrong. We all have our passions. But looking at something too seriously, especially if it's not something that's serious in the first place can blind you into thinking you know more about what you are a fan of then other people. You've repeatedly said you think you know more about what BttF: TG's art style should be like than me with the only basis for this being you think you are the bigger fan. You may like BttF more but that doesn't mean you know what's right for it.

@yoman45135 said: I have watched behind the scene videos and Bob Gale or the rest of the bttf team have never said: ''we added that as a joke'' only time was with the delorean.

Um, this doesn't prove your point, this doesn't prove your point even a little. BttF is filled with jokes and I can assure you that they are intentional on the part of the filmmakers. They put the jokes in and they know what they are doing.

@yoman45135 said: Because people keep saying the delorean is a stupid thing for time machiene, what do you think is better, a Limo?

The delorean is an awesome time machine! Just because it's not taken seriously doesn't mean it's bad. I don't know you, but I feel it's very important that you learn this distinction.

@yoman45135 said: Overall back to the future is taken very seriously and across the internet many people have complained about the art style saying things like: ''It is so stupid, does not fit bttf at all''

And even more people have said they feel it works. We've been over all this, you are talking about a vocal minority.

@yoman45135 said: So you saying me and a few other people on the telltale forums are the only people who care about good respectable graphics is a lie.

I've already told you once about using the word lie inappropriately and here you've gone and done it again. I'm not lying to anyone, I'm telling the truth as I know it. If you think I'm wrong back it up with evidence.

@yoman45135 said: Also you said you think The Untouchables would be perfect with bttf graphics, if you actually think that you are impossible to convince

I never said The Untouchables with BttF graphics would be perfect, I said I could imagine it, and I can. Now again, I'm assuming you are talking about the 1987 movie and not the series, because you still haven't specified. I'm going to go off that assumption. Think about how stylised that film is, how all the characters look amazingly distinctive. Shape, size and dress sense every character in that film is unique and memorable. That's something that could translate very well to a cartoon-like art direction. You don't even need to tone down the violence. A cartoon-like art direction, if done right, would emphasis the distinctive style of the film. It'd never happen but then again five years ago I probably would have said the same about BttF.

@yoman45135 said: BttF does not rely on slapstick humor; the franchise is simply not as "dark" to give out more of a serious tone. But the thing is "cartoon style" never necessarily means CHILDISH or anything like that.

In fairness I never said BttF relied on slapstick, only that it contained it, and it does. And you are right, BttF is many things but it's not dark. It's light-hearted family fun.

• @Vainamoinen said: Please take a bit of heat out of this discussion. Otherwise, continue. ;)

Also, consider the results of this poll done in the BTTF forum on whether the game should have "cartoony" or "realistic" graphics:

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17272

With 419 voters, this is probably one of the most representative polls ever done on this forum.

400 votes that do not represent the thousands of people who have played the game, and who do not participate in discussions on this forum. Besides, it could just as easily be one guy making 260 accounts, and that certainly won't make the results of the poll true.
    The fact of the matter is; realistic graphics are better than silly cartoony graphics and suit games like BTTF and Law & Order infinitely better.

• @Woodsyblue said:
    In fairness I never said BttF relied on slapstick, only that it contained it, and it does. And you are right, BttF is many things but it's not dark. It's light-hearted family fun.

I just wanted to point out the slapstick usage in BttF should not be used to "describe" the franchise as a whole. But yeah, it's light-hearted enough to CONTAIN such scenes here and there.

I just cannot understand -nor attempt to do so- people claiming the SUPERIORITY of realism of visuals, over wacky interpretations which we call "cartoony". Not one of them is "better" than the other one, both are only to be used in where needed. Why is realism better? I mean is it better because more effort went it rendering the 3d models because of all the polygons, realistic dents and bulges on faces and stuff like that? I mean... What's your deal on this anyway? Does it really mean that they didn't put enough effort on models and visuals when the graphics aren't over-detailed? No, I mean, realistic visuals is tracing of your surroundings or recreating it on a sheet of paper or a 3d virtual environment. The term "cartoon" involves INTERPRETATION, freedom of changing certain aspects of reality as you want and visualizing it this way. You need to have a feel of "style" so that your version of this reality won't look off or unfaithful to the original material. There IS a big amount of effort, you just don't see it all because most of the effort is hidden behind what you're presented.

• I am a huge bttf fan and I like graphics in game. I don't see why anyone wouldn't. Characters were recognizable, environments were all nice and in matching art style. I think someone's taste in graphics has nothing to do with a person being a Telltale fanboy or a fanboy of franchise they're making game for. One thing I don't like though in some of Telltale's games are characters eyes, they're very inanimate and sometimes look very weird especially when looking down.

• @Woodsyblue said: It's light-hearted family fun.

Your horribly wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7RKdWnUgLM

Watch all of it and dont skip any bits of it.

• @TaeZ said: I don't see why anyone wouldn't.

Maybe because the graphics dont match, the film is taken seriously by it's fans and the graphics look weird and make the people look diffrent.

You can have your own opinion sure, but if you think having minecraft graphics would be better than good graphics im not sure your a real fan.

Add Comment