User Avatar Image

Are you kidding me with these graphics?

posted by caeska on - last edited - Viewed by 5.2K users

Because this is absolutely ridicilous.
When is TTG going to learn and actually implement some proper graphics and animations into their games?
While this style of graphics is too cartoony and doesn't fit the L&O genre at all but I wouldn't mind that so much if Telltale would just take the graphics aspect somewhat seriously.

Look at Jurassic Park: Good characters, good story. But the graphics look like they were, and they probably were, done by amateurs who never attended a graphic design class in their lives.
My 5-year old niece could have done a better job in that department. The character animations as a whole, body language, movement, lip synch and
facial expressions of emotions is completely unrealistic and it is actually done so poorly that it makes it impossible to get immersed into the game world. BTTF was the same, no effort whatsoever put into animations and thus, no entertainment value.

And so far L&O seems poised to do exactly the same mistakes that BTTF and JP did because there is no indication that L&O will be any better. It's too rough around the edges and with the graphics style they've chosen to use they've effectively destroyed the game before it's even released. I'm still hoping to be proven wrong, but somehow I have my doubts.

If they are not going to bother to work with the graphics and animations, then I'm not going to bother with paying money for the game. It really is that simple. The graphics aspect is so important in a computer game that in many cases, it determines whether it becomes a success
or failure. And it is one of the most contributing factors to replay value and how drawn you as a player get into the game.

175 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@caeska said: 400 votes that do not represent the thousands of people who have played the game, and who do not participate in discussions on this forum. Besides, it could just as easily be one guy making 260 accounts, and that certainly won't make the results of the poll true.
    The fact of the matter is; realistic graphics are better than silly cartoony graphics and suit games like BTTF and Law & Order infinitely better.

I did not quote that poll for the ultimate "truth", but quite explicitly "for your consideration" only. But it seems like I have to throw in a bit of interpretation as well.

First, no, this can explicitly not be one guy making 270 accounts (or one guy making 150 for that matter). The attempt to manipulate polls that way is very rare on these forums and the manipulator is practically always caught. No sane community member goes through the pain of making several accounts (which is considered trolling and a bannable offense already) just to push some numbers here. To my knowledge, it has occurred only when the manipulator thought he or she could actually win something by doing it - i.e. when contest polls were made. Needless to say, those people are always caught.

Second, concerning the specific sample of people that were voting here: We must assume that they consist of hardcore TTG and BTTF fans. The TTG fans in anticipation of the next game and the BTTF fans freshly swept into this forum just trying to make their voice heard. There's no point in discussing how representative this is concerning ALL eventual players of BTTF. Most of them were just going with what they got later on. If there's any wisdom to be found in this poll, you would of course at best consider this a rather big sample of the people who anticipated the game most at a time when hardly anything was known about how the game would eventually look.

Third, this poll hardly shows an overwhelming result for the cartoony graphics "side". It fails to reach a two thirds majority even. Hell, I don't even know what I voted on this poll because I explicitly dismissed a classification of graphics as "cartoony" and "realistic" along a linear continuum. That is something that might come along with a serious interest in the graphic design topic... ;)

@caeska said: It doesn't exist. That's the whole problem with asking if you'd like "realistic" graphics or not. EVERY computer graphic representation has some degree of abstraction. And abstraction does not lie along a continuum. You don't just "crank up/down the abstraction" when producing art.

• @Vainamoinen said:

First, no, this can explicitly not be one guy making 270 accounts (or one guy making 150 for that matter).

Im not sure he ment that I think he ment that there are millions of fans of bttf and some of them dont even know there is a game so you cant really say that 100 people voting for cartoony graphics is fair because you have to remeber this is telltalegames website and there are going to be hundreds of fans of telltale on here who are more likely to support cartoony graphics than realistic graphics, well thats what I got from what he said anyway :P

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@yoman45135 said: Im not sure he ment that I think he ment that there are millions of fans of bttf and some of them dont even know there is a game so you cant really say that 100 people voting for cartoony graphics is fair because you have to remeber this is telltalegames website and there are going to be hundreds of fans of telltale on here who are more likely to support cartoony graphics than realistic graphics, well thats what I got from what he said anyway :P

So what you are saying is: It would not be fair to consider this rather impressive sample of TTG's and BTTF's dearest, most hardcorest fans and most likely pre-order customers?

Taken the gravity of both sides' arguments into account, I'd still say the relevance of this poll is not to be underestimated.

• @Vainamoinen said: So what you are saying is: It would not be fair to consider this rather impressive sample of TTG's and BTTF's dearest, most hardcorest fans and most likely pre-order customers?

Taken the gravity of both sides' arguments into account, I'd still say the relevance of this poll is not to be underestimated.

The people who voted cartoony are more likely to be ttg fans give or take 10 - 30 bttf fans

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@yoman45135 said: The people who voted cartoony are more likely to be ttg fans give or take 10 - 30 bttf fans

You were obviously late to that party... :D

/edit: There seems to be some confusion concerning this short answer. What I meant was that the influx of BTTF fans into these forums in the months between June 2010 (first announcement) and December 2010 (first episode released) was HUGE. Seriously, incomparable to anything that has happened before or afterwards. So many new community members, it was mind-boggling. In the poll discussion, if you count only those people who registered June to October 2010, you get to 19 who came first and foremost for BTTF, and a fair share of those arguments FOR cartoony graphics.

• @yoman45135 said: Your horribly wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7RKdWnUgLM

Watch all of it and dont skip any bits of it.

The film is not for little kids but that doesn't mean it takes itself seriously. In fact, the only reason they are able to get away with all that stuff in a family film is because it doesn't take itself seriously. If it were a serious film people would be appalled!

Look at the first example in the video, Doc getting shot up by the Libyan terrorists. It uses the same cartoon logic that was brought up in the exploding speaker scene. Doc is pumped full of holes at close range by an AK-47 but there is no blood or gore, even in the timeline where he is actually killed. It's as PG as a brutal, cold-blooded, close-range shooting is ever going to be. It's cartoon violence: all of the intention of real violence with none of the actual brutality.

Also, how young were you when you watched the first film? Be honest. If you were really young did you feel traumatised by the events in the film, like the host of that video implied you would have been? I know I sure wasn't.

@yoman45135 said: Maybe because the graphics dont match, the film is taken seriously by it's fans and the graphics look weird and make the people look diffrent.

You can have your own opinion sure, but if you think having minecraft graphics would be better than good graphics im not sure your a real fan.

BttF is hardly Minecraft, you are taking your hyperbole too far.

OK, you keep saying 'the film is taken seriously by it's fans.' You can't speak on behalf of other BttF fans, you can only convey your own opinion. You're opinion is that you think the game uses the wrong art direction, and you are entitled to that opinion, but you can't say that there are all these BttF fans out there that agree with you that it's something to be taken seriously. Only they can talk for themselves.

The only qualifiers that you seem to use to label someone a real BttF fan is how much they agree with you on the issue of art style on the BttF game and how seriously they take the films. You are saying that people who disagree with you might not be real fans (at least that's what you've said about me and TaeZ) and that the real fans are the people who agree with you. This is such a dangerous way to think. You are using labels to discredit in your own mind another person's opinion. "Oh, what he says doesn't mean anything, he's not a real BttF fan. A real BttF fan wouldn't think that." (Dramatization, not intended to be taken as the literal workings of your mind.) If you play these mental gymnastics you'll always convince yourself you are right even if you don't have any evidence or reason to feel the way you do.

What is a fan? Somebody who likes something. But just because you like something doesn't mean you have the right to tell other people what's right and what isn't. Stick to saying your own opinion and the reason you came to that opinion. You don't even have the right to say who is a true fan and who isn't. Anybody who likes it is a fan and everybody, fan or not, is entitled to an opinion (as long as they are educated on the subject).

You are belittling TaeZ's opinion because you don't think he's a true fan as you put it. You are literally saying if he thinks having minecraft graphics would be better than, as you put it, 'good graphics,' he's not a real fan. He's a real fan if he likes the franchise. What right do you have to take that away from him?

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

The idea that "true fans" would necessarily go for a realistic approach is certainly inappropriate. There are quite a lot of "true fans" out there who accept the animated series wholeheartedly (personally, I don't).

80's US movies were a lot more violent than today's. What gets parents up in arms today wasn't really a problem yesterday. So, yes, BTTF is a family movie. I was 12 when I first saw it. What stuck were skateboards & rock'n'roll, not terrorists and rape attempts. BTW, the Lybians were as cartoony a terrorist threat as humanly possible in a live action movie. :D

I recently saw "Adventures in Babysitting" (1987) again. Was pretty shocked actually. That was PG-13, that was an unquestionable family movie back then. Attempted murder, organized crime, chop shops, gang fights, shootouts, adultery, playboy magazines, hookers, swearing and what have you, it's all in there. That was 80's family entertainment, and BTTF was the milder variety.

• User Avatar Image
    NSM

@yoman45135 said: The people who voted cartoony are more likely to be ttg fans give or take 10 - 30 bttf fans

I feel like I'm going crazy, because people are responding reasonably to a comment that makes no sense to me. The people who voted cartoony are more like to be Telltale Games fans? On what basis do you make that assertion? Why are TTG fans and BTTF fans now mutually exclusive groups?

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@NSM said: I feel like I'm going crazy, because people are responding reasonably to a comment that makes no sense to me.

...that's how we roll. :D :D

@NSM said: Why are TTG fans and BTTF fans now mutually exclusive groups?

Good point. I was about the biggest BTTF fan alive when this game was announced. I came here earlier for ToMI and S&M noneteless.

• @NSM said: The people who voted cartoony are more like to be Telltale Games fans? On what basis do you make that assertion?

Because telltale games fans dont care for good graphics they prefer cartoony art styles, it is unlikely they would change there opinion on graphics for even something as popular as back to the future.

Add Comment