User Avatar Image

What copy protection (DRM) is used?

posted by torusturtle on - last edited - Viewed by 383 users

How is the copy protection done?
Do I get a serial like with the games before BTTF or is it like with BTTF that it has to be activated with the telltale server?

13 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

    What, that DVD had online activation??

  • User Avatar Image
    Macfly77 Moderator

    Indeed it did (only the version from the Telltale Store, though)!

  • You can buy the game through Steam as well if you prefer!

  • @Vainamoinen said: You always got a serial number in past games, but to my knowledge, it wasn't ever necessary to insert it anywhere. User name and password were enough to unlock the games. With the digital variant of Jurassic Park, it's exactly the same.



    But you could insert it. For example with Bone. No need for login or email. Just enter the serial and you can start playing. Even when being offline.

    @Vainamoinen said: You can buy the game through Steam as well if you prefer!

    With steam you are also dependent on the activation server.
    I don't like that at all.
    1. what if you are offline and want to play (happened to me recently)
    2. what if the activation server goes offline (maybe even permanently)

  • @torusturtle said:

    With steam you are also dependent on the activation server.
    I don't like that at all.
    1. what if you are offline and want to play (happened to me recently)
    2. what if the activation server goes offline (maybe even permanently)



    Activation servers can go down. Once you buy the game and have it downloaded if there's any connection problem you'll be able to start steam in offline mode and play your games. Of course u can't buy a game through the service while offline but nothings perfect.

  • User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

    Once a telltale game is activated on your computer, you dont need to put your login info again. It's actually a less intrusive copy protection than steam.

  • @Maniac536 said: [...]Once you buy the game and have it downloaded if there's any connection problem you'll be able to start steam in offline mode and play your games.[...]



    I'm still dependent on the steam server every time I format my PC or buy a new one.

    @Maniac536 said: Once a telltale game is activated on your computer, you dont need to put your login info again. It's actually a less intrusive copy protection than steam.

    Same as above. I'm buying a lot of games from gog.com. (also have some very old games on the shelf)
    Some of them would not be playable in their original form if they where dependent on an activation server because the original company got bankrupt, sold, closed, whatever.

    And I'm not talking only about small companies.
    Anybody remembers Sierra...

  • @torusturtle said: I'm still dependent on the steam server every time I format my PC or buy a new one.


    True but you will have unlimited activations of your software which is a lot better than what most boxed pc games offer nowadays.

  • @Maniac536 said: True but you will have unlimited activations of your software which is a lot better than what most boxed pc games offer nowadays.



    True for now. It can change any time and you are at their mercy.
    I'm in the game long enough to know not to trust any remote DRM activation. I got burned in the past.
    In the end it is the paying customer who gets annoyed. The ones copying the games get them cracked and hassle free.

    So I rather do not use these products then investing money and encouraging companies to continue with this course.

    It's a pity, being a telltale customer since the first Sam and Max and having bought every of their games, my money will go to others now.

  • Steam isn't going down any time soon and if it does you can always download a crack. You own legal copy of the game, if something happens that doesn't allow you to activate the game then you have a right to do it.

Add Comment