User Avatar Image

Are you kidding me with these graphics?

posted by caeska on - last edited - Viewed by 5.6K users

Because this is absolutely ridicilous.
When is TTG going to learn and actually implement some proper graphics and animations into their games?
While this style of graphics is too cartoony and doesn't fit the L&O genre at all but I wouldn't mind that so much if Telltale would just take the graphics aspect somewhat seriously.

Look at Jurassic Park: Good characters, good story. But the graphics look like they were, and they probably were, done by amateurs who never attended a graphic design class in their lives.
My 5-year old niece could have done a better job in that department. The character animations as a whole, body language, movement, lip synch and
facial expressions of emotions is completely unrealistic and it is actually done so poorly that it makes it impossible to get immersed into the game world. BTTF was the same, no effort whatsoever put into animations and thus, no entertainment value.

And so far L&O seems poised to do exactly the same mistakes that BTTF and JP did because there is no indication that L&O will be any better. It's too rough around the edges and with the graphics style they've chosen to use they've effectively destroyed the game before it's even released. I'm still hoping to be proven wrong, but somehow I have my doubts.

If they are not going to bother to work with the graphics and animations, then I'm not going to bother with paying money for the game. It really is that simple. The graphics aspect is so important in a computer game that in many cases, it determines whether it becomes a success
or failure. And it is one of the most contributing factors to replay value and how drawn you as a player get into the game.

175 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    NSM

@yoman45135 said: Because telltale games fans dont care for good graphics they prefer cartoony art styles.

You realise that these things you're stating aren't facts, right? Because I feel like I need to point that out. It's like saying that people who liked the Lion King will never play Crysis.

Let's, just for the sake of argument, say that "good graphics" and "cartoony styles" are mutually exclusive. Are you arguing that it's not possible to like both? To appreciate both aesthetics?

• @NSM said: You realise that these things you're stating aren't facts, right? Because I feel like I need to point that out. It's like saying that people who liked the Lion King will never play Crysis.

Let's, just for the sake of argument, say that "good graphics" and "cartoony styles" are mutually exclusive. Are you arguing that it's not possible to like both? To appreciate both aesthetics?

Well if your favourite things are all cartoony and a film (Bttf) you enjoy but it is not your favourite had a game made dont you think you would care more about voting for cartoony graphics than realistic ones.

thats how the telltale games fans are in that poll, its like salt water think of the poll as water and the telltale games fans as salt, its unfair for telltale to think that there are 100 more votes for cartoony graphics that is of course all bttf fans there are no telltale games fans voting, to get pure water you dont put salt in.

Basically what im saying is letting people who have not seen the films (Im sure there are a few who voted cartoony who didnt know its a film)
    And love cartoony graphics and counting them as bttf fans is not fair.

Like I said sure there are a few bttf fans who didnt care about the graphics but looking at the results of the poll more of them voted for realistic graphics than cartoony graphics.

• User Avatar Image
    NSM

@yoman45135 said:
    Well if your favourite things are all cartoony and a film (Bttf) you enjoy but it is not your favourite had a game made dont you think you would care more about voting for cartoony graphics than realistic ones.

Just because someone likes the Lion King it doesn't mean it's their favourite movie...

@yoman45135 said:
    thats how the telltale games fans are in that poll, its like salt water think of the poll as water and the telltale games fans as salt, its unfair for telltale to think that there are 100 more votes for cartoony graphics that is of course all bttf fans there are no telltale games fans voting, to get pure water you dont put salt in.

Some people would think that some of those voting were BTTF AND Telltale fans, but that'd be crazy, right?

@yoman45135 said:
    Basically what im saying is letting people who have not seen the films (Im sure there are a few who voted cartoony who didnt know its a film)And love cartoony graphics and counting them as bttf fans is not fair.

Yup, that's an actual thing you said...

@yoman45135 said:
    Like I said sure there are a few bttf fans who didnt care about the graphics but looking at the results of the poll more of them voted for realistic graphics than cartoony graphics.

Why are there only a few and not many? Did you interview them afterwards to make sure?

• @NSM said:
    Why are there only a few and not many? Did you interview them afterwards to make sure?

There was about 100 more votes more for cartoony graphics, there are thousands of telltalegames fans forums members about 50 of them likely voted for cartoony graphics leaving about 50 bttf fans.

I doubt all of the people who voted for cartoony graphics are all bttf fans.

• User Avatar Image
    NSM

@yoman45135 said:
    I doubt all of the people who voted for cartoony graphics are all bttf fans.

It's for the best that most decisions aren't based on doubts and gut feel...If you doubt it, then what percentage of those people voting for cartoony graphics are not fans of bttf, and why do you say that?

You're missing the point that was made in any event. The point made is that the number of votes is fairly high and perhaps forms a representative sample (though you could perhaps argue otherwise due to selection bias). Most surveys are done this way, incidentally. At least Vainamoinen tried to back his statements up with actual evidence and not personal doubts...

• @NSM said: At least Vainamoinen tried to back his statements up with actual evidence and not personal doubts...

How am I supposed to prove that more of the people who voted cartoony are telltale games fans more than bttf fans?!!

Want me to track them down and break into there house?

No way for me to be able to prove it but if you opened your mind you would actually find what im saying to be true.

More telltale fans are going to be on the forums than bttf fans.
    want to argue against that as well?

What will it be? Uh they all left and got replaced by bttf fans
    All of you just keep finding reasons to argue against what im saying, also Jurassic park graphics with more polish is not hard at all and it is very easy for telltale to make so I dont understand why everyone seems to find it important to argue that the graphics should be as bad as telltale can make them.

• User Avatar Image
    NSM

@yoman45135 said:
    How am I supposed to prove that more of the people who voted cartoony are telltale games fans more than bttf fans?!!

If you can't prove it and have no idea how to prove it, then why are you arguing it so vehemntly? It just seems really strange.

@yoman45135 said:
    More telltale fans are going to be on the forums than bttf fans.
    want to argue against that as well?

I'm going to point out three logical errors that you keep making:

1) Failing to accept that BTTF fans and TTG fans are not mutually exclusive groups. Back to the Future was the top grossing movie of 1985 and, adjusted for inflation, is the 59th highest grossing movie of all time and considered a classic of its genre. It has a huge fanbase and cross-polination is inevitable.

2) Announcing the release of a Back to the Future game would attract a large number of BTTF fans to the website and, by extention, the site's forums.

3) A fair number of people voted that they want realistic graphics (36%). Which means that you're either arguing that a bit more than a third of those who voted are TTG fans AND prefer realistic graphics (undermining your own point) or that the forum was flooded with BTTF fans who ONLY voted for realistic graphics which kinda supports my second point..

@yoman45135 said:
    Jurassic park graphics with more polish is not hard at all and it is very easy for telltale to make so I dont understand why everyone seems to find it important to argue that the graphics should be as bad as telltale can make them.

What games have you designed? What experience do you have with 3D modeling and animation? On what grounds is it "very easy" to make Jurassic Park's graphics better? Just asking you to back up your statements with, you know, facts.

• @NSM said: What games have you designed? What experience do you have with 3D modeling and animation? On what grounds is it "very easy" to make Jurassic Park's graphics better? Just asking you to back up your statements with, you know, facts.

Oh I have not made a game with good graphics but my friend's brother is making a game which has graphics twice as good as jurassic park and they have not even spent much money on the programs.

• @yoman45135 said: Please open your mind and try and see like me and a lot of fans.
    I respect your opinion but I am sure I am a bigger bttf fan than you and know more about that art style fits bttf than you.

Once again, you are being very, very rude.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@yoman45135 said: I respect your opinion but I am sure I am a bigger bttf fan than you and know more about that art style fits bttf than you.

Yup, are we playing "who's the bigger BTTF fan" now?

BTW, why isn't your user name even connected to the Back to the Future series? Do you even know how many McFlys, DocBrowns and MichaelJFoxes we had registered in 2010? Aren't they necessarily the bigger fans, eh?? :D :D

Bottom line: you can't prove who's a "bigger" BTTF fan hands down. And you can not assume that someone who accepts a certain art style in a game would be a lesser and therefore less valid voice in this discussion. It's a dangerous direction. Best to drop it before we start bringing up quantifiable things.

Like years of fandom.

Add Comment