User Avatar Image

Plotholes/ continuity errors/ anachronisms in the game (spoilers!)

posted by tope1983 on - last edited - Viewed by 3.2K users

I know it's quite early for this thread but at least I don't really get one thing which we have already seen:

During the scene when Miles and Nima reach Dennis Nedry's jeep, why are they coming from the inner side of the island?
As the sign at the road indicates the east dock has to be somewhere at the end of the road after the tunnel!
scaled.php?server=841&filename=eastdockr

That's where Nima and Niles are approaching from:
nilesnimajptg.jpg

They are coming from the wrong side, especially because Miles was at the dock before.

89 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Maniac536 said: Ok I found one while messing around in episode 1. When accessing the tour vehicle system to get a car to pick up the Hardings you can get either tour car 3 or 4 to pick them up (1 and 2 are listed as having catastrophic failures, ie Rex food).

However the tour car they ride in has a 02 on the side even though I picked car 3.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it is your second choice every time, no matter which numbers you choose. Once i picked car one, then car two and Sorkin sent the second one. I never noticed that the tour vehicle actually has a number on it, though, so that might be an error for sure.

• @Final Fall 0 said: Actually, I'm pretty sure it is your second choice every time, no matter which numbers you choose. Once i picked car one, then car two and Sorkin sent the second one. I never noticed that the tour vehicle actually has a number on it, though, so that might be an error for sure.

Yeah the car number is listed on the side of the vehicle right behind the rear set of doors.

• @sebastiaan.raats said: What bothered me was how the blurb in the field guide mentions grasslands as a habitat for dinosaurs as part of the recreation of the prehistoric world, while it is a well known fact that grass didn't appear until long after the age of the dinosaurs. :p

That's actually not true anymore. Grasses were put around 55 million years ago, but new fossils say it they were probably around in the late cretaceous or earlier. Those found were probably more like rice or bamboo though rather than more familiar modern grasses. Either way they wouldn't have been able to remove all grasses from the island anyways before introducing dinosaurs.

• @MrSeyker said: Harding ASUMES that Jeep must be the visitors.

We know for a fact that he was leaving Jess at the VC first, and then he was heading back to tend for the sick Triceratops (and meeting the Grant and company).

Knowing the scene takes place earlier in the day, and with the complete timeline in mind, it becomes evident that's not Grant's group.

Who was in that jeep, then? Probably some staff mantaining the roads or something.

I think it was just meant to reference that the group would be seeing the Brachiosaur in the jeeps around then. Since there weren't two and it didn't look like any one was in it, it wasn't them so who ones who it was.

• @sebastiaan.raats said: What bothered me was how the blurb in the field guide mentions grasslands as a habitat for dinosaurs as part of the recreation of the prehistoric world, while it is a well known fact that grass didn't appear until long after the age of the dinosaurs. :p

That's actually not true anymore. Fossils from the late cretaceous have been found that resemble rice and bamboo. Either way they can't just remove all grass from the island and if they added it BlankCanvasDJ has that.

• This probably isn't a plot hole, just something I probably missed or didn't catch from episode 4...
    We see Jess' Dad telling her they didn't clone anything that lives in the water because mosquito's can't bite them...and then in the next scene we have one swimming around, and I didn't see ANY explanation of how it was cloned...what did I miss?

• @Lord Raptor said: This probably isn't a plot hole, just something I probably missed or didn't catch from episode 4...
    We see Jess' Dad telling her they didn't clone anything that lives in the water because mosquito's can't bite them...and then in the next scene we have one swimming around, and I didn't see ANY explanation of how it was cloned...what did I miss?

I was thinking the same thing.

If there was any explanation of where the Mosasaur came from, I missed it.

• User Avatar Image
    Sinaz20 Telltale Staff

@Scnew said: I was thinking the same thing.

If there was any explanation of where the Mosasaur came from, I missed it.

So, I remember that we had a clear in house idea of how a Mosasaur could be cloned-- the consensus being that a Mosasaur might occasionally beach itself to bask-- and could have been fed on by mosquitoes then. I remember there being mention of the Mosasaur as a happy accident-- a sort of 1 in a million find.

Ultimately, the dialog around the Mosasaur paints a vague picture of implausibility-- but I didn't feel that the Mosasaur needed to be outright explained.

So, it probably is a plothole for the die-hard fan. The explanation is that DNA was cataloged from a mosquito and cloned-- it produced a Mosasaur. The mosquito fed on a Mosasaur prowling shallow waters or basking.

When the Mosasaur was hatched, they realized it was a marine reptile and hastily put it in a small aquatic habitat. As the Mosasaur thrived, John Hammond ordered the waterworks pumping station to be expanded into a marine facility to house the Mosasaur and efforts put into trying to find any other marine reptile dna.

Also, while I'm on the subject-- why didn't Gerry know about the Mosasaur? He was hired for his work with elephants and veterinary expertise around large land animals. As the Mosasaur and Marine Facility was being developed, InGen sought out a marine biologist/veterinary expert to fill the gap in expertise. InGen's level of secrecy is compartmentalized-- so Gerry would only be made aware if they decided he was the right man to care for the Mosasaur or the facility was put into full official operation and the information formally distributed to InGen general awareness.

All good? ;)

PS: @LordRaptor: If I recall, I think Gerry was really just musing that it would be improbable to clone something that spends it's life underwater by Jurassic Park means-- not that they specifically "didn't." I know there's a lot of "let's not jump to any conclusions" lines throughout the episode-- that's mostly because I saw Gerry and Laura as being rational science minded individuals who aren't ready to just make snap judgments without evidence.

• Sinaz, was there ever an explanation for the Pteranodons and why they were flying free?

• User Avatar Image
    Sinaz20 Telltale Staff

@Shadowknight1 said: Sinaz, was there ever an explanation for the Pteranodons and why they were flying free?

No-- mostly-- out of sheer child-like excitement, we made the Pteranodons... and then we felt compelled to include them... because they are cool.

They are and will remain a mystery for now.

Add Comment