User Avatar Image

Plotholes/ continuity errors/ anachronisms in the game (spoilers!)

posted by tope1983 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

I know it's quite early for this thread but at least I don't really get one thing which we have already seen:

During the scene when Miles and Nima reach Dennis Nedry's jeep, why are they coming from the inner side of the island?
As the sign at the road indicates the east dock has to be somewhere at the end of the road after the tunnel!
scaled.php?server=841&filename=eastdockr

That's where Nima and Niles are approaching from:
nilesnimajptg.jpg

They are coming from the wrong side, especially because Miles was at the dock before.

87 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Sinaz20 Telltale Staff

@Scnew said: I was thinking the same thing.

If there was any explanation of where the Mosasaur came from, I missed it.

So, I remember that we had a clear in house idea of how a Mosasaur could be cloned-- the consensus being that a Mosasaur might occasionally beach itself to bask-- and could have been fed on by mosquitoes then. I remember there being mention of the Mosasaur as a happy accident-- a sort of 1 in a million find.

Ultimately, the dialog around the Mosasaur paints a vague picture of implausibility-- but I didn't feel that the Mosasaur needed to be outright explained.

So, it probably is a plothole for the die-hard fan. The explanation is that DNA was cataloged from a mosquito and cloned-- it produced a Mosasaur. The mosquito fed on a Mosasaur prowling shallow waters or basking.

When the Mosasaur was hatched, they realized it was a marine reptile and hastily put it in a small aquatic habitat. As the Mosasaur thrived, John Hammond ordered the waterworks pumping station to be expanded into a marine facility to house the Mosasaur and efforts put into trying to find any other marine reptile dna.

Also, while I'm on the subject-- why didn't Gerry know about the Mosasaur? He was hired for his work with elephants and veterinary expertise around large land animals. As the Mosasaur and Marine Facility was being developed, InGen sought out a marine biologist/veterinary expert to fill the gap in expertise. InGen's level of secrecy is compartmentalized-- so Gerry would only be made aware if they decided he was the right man to care for the Mosasaur or the facility was put into full official operation and the information formally distributed to InGen general awareness.

All good? ;)

PS: @LordRaptor: If I recall, I think Gerry was really just musing that it would be improbable to clone something that spends it's life underwater by Jurassic Park means-- not that they specifically "didn't." I know there's a lot of "let's not jump to any conclusions" lines throughout the episode-- that's mostly because I saw Gerry and Laura as being rational science minded individuals who aren't ready to just make snap judgments without evidence.

• Sinaz, was there ever an explanation for the Pteranodons and why they were flying free?

• User Avatar Image
    Sinaz20 Telltale Staff

@Shadowknight1 said: Sinaz, was there ever an explanation for the Pteranodons and why they were flying free?

No-- mostly-- out of sheer child-like excitement, we made the Pteranodons... and then we felt compelled to include them... because they are cool.

They are and will remain a mystery for now.

• @Sinaz20 said: No-- mostly-- out of sheer child-like excitement, we made the Pteranodons... and then we felt compelled to include them... because they are cool.

They are and will remain a mystery for now.

According to the Field Guide an Aviary was being planned for Phase 2. Does that fall into it?

• And the award for "Best Plot Hole Save" goes to... ASIAN INFERNO

*hands award to Asian Inferno*

• User Avatar Image
    Sinaz20 Telltale Staff

@Asian Inferno said: According to the Field Guide an Aviary was being planned for Phase 2. Does that fall into it?

Most likely, I just don't know of any further discussion beyond that.

• @Sinaz20 said: Most likely, I just don't know of any further discussion beyond that.

How far away (time-wise) was Phase 2 from being implemented? If it was close enough, it might have been an early unknown shipment from Site B (Like the "other" Raptors) and held in some sort of holding pen that escaped during the Security downtime and subsequent system reset (like the other dinosaurs from the movie).

Or in InGen's attempt at Trial and Error in regards to the implementation of Dinosaurs for Jurassic Park, it was one of those species that were created but not "officially" created (IE: Spinosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Carnosaurus) and the samples (IE: Pteranodons) were sent to Nublar to see if they would work (IE: Troodon) as displayable animals. InGen wanted a aviary dinosaur to display, hence plans for an Aviary, but they weren't aware which one would work: Pteranodons was a possibility, hence their presence on Nublar.

• About the Pteros, perhaps they just escaped during the blackout.

By JPL's canon analysis, the toothed pteros were deemed to dangerous and were to be replaced by the thoothless pteros.

It's very plausible that the Nublar aviary relied on electrical meshes/nets in its structure, and wasn't fortified enough to contain them once the power was out, unlike the Sorna Aviary, which apparently was built specifically to quarantine them (a similar situation to Sorkin's Troodon enclosure back in Nublar).

• Sinaz,
    I would really like to know why the Brachiosaurs only had a cameo and how both the Brach's and Gallies werent seen at all in the game???
    Thanks

Add Comment