User Avatar Image

The Great Sherlock Thread

posted by Ribs on - last edited - Viewed by 5.3K users

Oh, hello, I didn't see you there!

You either clicked on this thread for one of three reasons. You either;
A. Was curious about it's contents and had no interest in the topic.
B. Thought this thread was discussing the Ritchie films
or C. Wished to discuss the masterful BBC and PBS produced 'Sherlock' series, ran by Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat and starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.

sherlockr.png

If you chose Option C, you are correct! That's right, the fantastic adventures of Sherlock and Dr. Watson shall continue starting New Years Day on BBC1 and each Sunday thereafter for a whopping three further weeks (insert 'Wow! Three Whole Weeks!'s)

If you've yet to experience the pure joy of the first series, it is available on Netflix streaming and on DVD (Amazon: US and UK).

Now then, let's get to the discussion, eh! Why not start with some thoughts on the first episode, Steven Moffat's "A Study in Pink"?

248 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Friar said: And I thought the episode (of doctor who) was pretty awesome!
    But that's straying from the point: I wasn't a huge fan of "The blind Banker". It was definitely the weakest of the three episodes. Why, I don't really know, but it just seemed to be missing something. Maybe it was the setting I didn't like.

It just suffered from being non-essential and from lacking proper mystery, whereas the other two were flowing with both those traits. I don't even think it was mentioned in the Great Game!

Speaking of, anyone else have thoughts on the final episode?

The best line in the series may be Sherlock watching daytime TV and yelling out that he can't be the father because of the way he wears his jeans.

• This show came on BBC America, but I never got around to watchin it. On a similar note, I got Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis for Christmas :)

• @GuybrushWilco said: This show came on BBC America, but I never got around to watchin it. On a similar note, I got Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis for Christmas :)

I am sure you are well aware of Creepy Watson then.

It's not properly airing over here until May because PBS thinks it'll do better then with the rest of the Masterpiece season (I couldn't wait that long for Great Expectations!), so we'll be forced to use other methods to keep up (my preferred is using Expat Shield to proxy yourself and then just using iPlayer).

• Anybody hear anything more about the brilliant and brand new idea the American networks have come up with, about doing a contemporary version of Sherlock Holmes?

(Also, BBC4 recently repeaed the Rob Brydon / David Walliams thing about a washed-up actor on a cruise with SF fans, with Steve Coogan as the actor who made it big in America as "Sherlock Holmes in Miami")

• @FitzoliverJ said: Anybody hear anything more about the brilliant and brand new idea the American networks have come up with, about doing a contemporary version of Sherlock Holmes?

(Also, BBC4 recently repeaed the Rob Brydon / David Walliams thing about a washed-up actor on a cruise with SF fans, with Steve Coogan as the actor who made it big in America as "Sherlock Holmes in Miami")

We already have two awesome detective shows in Psych and The Mentalist :)

• House and Monk were also essentially modern-day Sherlock Holmes shows (I say past-tense because I'm thinking House is on its last legs...so to speak).

• Only an hour and a half until A Scandel in Belgravia airs on BBC One! :)

• Interesting... the episode written by the "weak" writer turned out to be the best of the series (although still lagging behind Series 1).

And anybody spot, as the credits zoomed past, the cameo by Douglas Wilmer?

Add Comment