User Avatar Image

The Great Sherlock Thread

posted by Ribs on - last edited - Viewed by 5.5K users

Oh, hello, I didn't see you there!

You either clicked on this thread for one of three reasons. You either;
A. Was curious about it's contents and had no interest in the topic.
B. Thought this thread was discussing the Ritchie films
or C. Wished to discuss the masterful BBC and PBS produced 'Sherlock' series, ran by Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat and starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.

sherlockr.png

If you chose Option C, you are correct! That's right, the fantastic adventures of Sherlock and Dr. Watson shall continue starting New Years Day on BBC1 and each Sunday thereafter for a whopping three further weeks (insert 'Wow! Three Whole Weeks!'s)

If you've yet to experience the pure joy of the first series, it is available on Netflix streaming and on DVD (Amazon: US and UK).

Now then, let's get to the discussion, eh! Why not start with some thoughts on the first episode, Steven Moffat's "A Study in Pink"?

248 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @FitzoliverJ said: Interesting... the episode written by the "weak" writer turned out to be the best of the series (although still lagging behind Series 1).

And anybody spot, as the credits zoomed past, the cameo by Douglas Wilmer?

He was the one in Mycroft's club who triggered the alarm once John started talking.

It's the direction that ruined the Blind Banker seems to be the consensus, thus explaining why this one was so much better.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

GAH!! Amazon.de hasn't yet got the option up to pre-order the British Season 2 Blu Ray. Come on now. Do they want my money or not??

• @Vainamoinen said: GAH!! Amazon.de hasn't yet got the option up to pre-order the British Season 2 Blu Ray. Come on now. Do they want my money or not??

Just order it from .co.uk! :p

Spoilers for Reichenbach, but remains relevant.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Impossible with my personal payment options... unfortunately.

They'll get there eventually. But January doesn't seem to be my month of patience.

• I just watched these episodes and I really hope they don't end it where they left it, I really don't. But if that is indeed the end, it was a great run and I will definitely be sending everyone I know off to go and watch it.

Also, is it just me, or does the way Moriarty was portrayed really remind any one else of the Master? I kept on thinking how great those two would be as a Doctor/Master for the next generation of Doctor Who.

• @Alcoremortis said: I just watched these episodes and I really hope they don't end it where they left it, I really don't. But if that is indeed the end, it was a great run and I will definitely be sending everyone I know off to go and watch it.

Also, is it just me, or does the way Moriarty was portrayed really remind any one else of the Master? I kept on thinking how great those two would be as a Doctor/Master for the next generation of Doctor Who.

Well, it isn't the end, there will be a third series - However, Moff/Gatiss are rather busy with Doctor Who until the end of the year, so we probably won't see it until Summertime of 2013.

No, it isn't similar to the relationship between the Doctor and the Master. The Master, when concieved by Robert Holmes and Barry Letts, was to be the Moriarty to The Doctor's Sherlock - however, their relationship has since turned into an odd relationship more representing that reminscent of Mycroft and Sherlock, as there has not been a single occasion where the Master even comes close to winning, and isn't really a nemesis as much as a common nuisance.

Benedict Cumberbatch should not play the Doctor because he looks too much like a thin Tom Baker. He's also already a big star so unlikely. But this thread is to discuss Sherlock, not Doctor Who!

Theoretically, the first Episode of next series will be the Empty House, which would make sense given the odd establishing shot of one of Moriarty's assasins in the last episode. Then maybe one of the novels again, before ending with... something. I do hope they scope out a multi-series plan, though, as I would love to see three or so more series showing Sherlock age and eventually retire, which is one of my favorite parts about Sherlock Holmes - he doesn't get the grand finale, he's just a person in the end and he ends up dying a insignificant death.

• I was more referring to the acting of Moriarty, not the character himself. He was more...crazy than I've seen in other adaptations. Or maybe that was just me.

I still think he would make a great 12th Doctor, since going with the whole twelve regenerations/Valyard thing, he would be a good "darker" incarnation after the relatively light and bubbly 11th Doctor.

Back on topic, I have much cheerfulness at the news that there is to be another series. I will definitely find a way to survive the upcoming apocalypse just so that I can watch series 3. And thinking of an older Sherlock, I can't help remember this physics problem I got on a final once, where I had to prescribe Sherlock Holmes a certain strength of bifocals so that he could solve the double murder of Kirk and Spock. That was a final to remember forever.

I also had to find the half life of Unobtanium, but that's another story entirely.

• My personal favorite way to describe Andrew Scott's Moriarty is Graham Norton from the mirror universe.

• @Ribs said: Well, it isn't the end, there will be a third series - However, Moff/Gatiss are rather busy with Doctor Who until the end of the year, so we probably won't see it until Summertime of 2013.

Also, Bendict will be off filming star trek soon, and Arthur Dent (sorry, I ALWAYS forget his name.) is off filming the Hobbit.

No, it isn't similar to the relationship between the Doctor and the Master. The Master, when concieved by Robert Holmes and Barry Letts, was to be the Moriarty to The Doctor's Sherlock - however, their relationship has since turned into an odd relationship more representing that reminscent of Mycroft and Sherlock, as there has not been a single occasion where the Master even comes close to winning, and isn't really a nemesis as much as a common nuisance. So conquering the earth for a year and killing off 1/10th of the population counts as a nusiance? And Converting the entire human race into him and then finding the cause of his madness doesn't count as a victory? :p Plus the master killed the doctor by forcing him to fall from a great height.

Benedict Cumberbatch should not play the Doctor because he looks too much like a thin Tom Baker. He's also already a big star so unlikely. But this thread is to discuss Sherlock, not Doctor Who!

Peter Davison was a big name too! We want Benedict! We want Benedict!

Theoretically, the first Episode of next series will be the Empty House, which would make sense given the odd establishing shot of one of Moriarty's assasins in the last episode. Then maybe one of the novels again, before ending with... something. I do hope they scope out a multi-series plan, though, as I would love to see three or so more series showing Sherlock age and eventually retire, which is one of my favorite parts about Sherlock Holmes - he doesn't get the grand finale, he's just a person in the end and he ends up dying a insignificant death.Have they done a completely original tale yet? I'd like to see them try that.

*cough* Sherlock vs. The daleks. *cough*

Add Comment