User Avatar Image

When can we expect to see SOMETHING about Telltale's KQ?

posted by Blackthorne519 on - last edited - Viewed by 3.2K users

I wonder when we'll see or hear something substantial about Tell-Tale's King's Quest game.

Bt

480 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Also, the cheese machine is not the LAST significant puzzle. That last significant puzzle is the magic battle with Mordack where you have to choose the correct counters for his spells. I you want to pick nits, which I DO. ;)

• Well even a comment around the machine, or smoke from the machine, or appearance of the contents of the cauldron could have offered a clue... Something about the smell that would hint towards cheese. Maybe;

If you look at it; 'The bottom portion of this machine, has the appearance of a giant fondue pot, as Graham bends over to examine it, a moldy oder wafts into his nostrils'

Try to pick it up; 'This is nacho machine!' (ok sorry, I couldn't resist).

BTW, I checked, the vat does vaguely look like some fondue pot designs (coincidental or not?)... But even if it was intentional, how many people have seen fondue pots (or one that looks like that)?

• I'm sure Sierra sat on the pile of money they made off of King's Quest 5 and said "Hahah! I can't believe they still bought it in record numbers even with that fucking cheese puzzle....."

Bt

• User Avatar Image
    exo

I will still say that the damned Bridle puzzle in KQ4 is one of the worst. Again, the logic of finding it flies in the face of other areas AND if you miss it, then you are at a dead end.

Anywhere else in the game, typing look gives you a full view of the surroundings. Typing look at the ground told you all about the ground. Here, typing look at the boat or look at the wreck doesn't show anything, but typing look at the ground while standing in the obscured area in the boat suddenly reveals this bloody bridle.

If for some reason you miss this bridle (ie: basically everyone), then you can not get back to the island a second time. And yes, I knew I needed a bridle the first time I played through, and I hunted high and low for the damn thing. After days of this, a hint sent me replaying the game so i could get back to that island.

There is no satisfaction to a figuring out that I needed to be standing in the exact spot and type the exact thing it wanted.

• @exo said: I will still say that the damned Bridle puzzle in KQ4 is one of the worst. Again, the logic of finding it flies in the face of other areas AND if you miss it, then you are at a dead end.

Anywhere else in the game, typing look gives you a full view of the surroundings. Typing look at the ground told you all about the ground. Here, typing look at the boat or look at the wreck doesn't show anything, but typing look at the ground while standing in the obscured area in the boat suddenly reveals this bloody bridle.

If for some reason you miss this bridle (ie: basically everyone), then you can not get back to the island a second time. And yes, I knew I needed a bridle the first time I played through, and I hunted high and low for the damn thing. After days of this, a hint sent me replaying the game so i could get back to that island.

There is no satisfaction to a figuring out that I needed to be standing in the exact spot and type the exact thing it wanted.

I agree. That "puzzle" is absolutely terrible. I'm pretty sure Roberta went on record somewhere and admitted that they only put that in there to sell KQ4 hint books.

It's not even as bad as the KQ5 waiting-in-Mordack's-library "puzzle," because at least with that one, there is a chance (slight though it may be) that the player could just stumble on the solution. I seem to recall waiting for Mordack taking a different amount of time every time I played. Sometimes it would happen right away, sometimes it seemed like I would wait FOREVER on the screen before he appeared.

• @Lambonius said: Lucasarts games also had charming art and storytelling, are nostalgic for most of us, and were pretty darn fun, too. And they had challenging puzzles, especially the earlier ones.

It *is* possible to like different things for similar reasons you know. :p

Though I don't actually disagree with you. I've always liked the deaths in Sierra games, I just felt the need to play devil's advocate since you were being difficult.

• Yeah, the bridle is absolutely the worst puzzle in King's Quest history...and it's NOT in KQ5! Astounding! Even more astounding as most people dislike KQ5 while KQ4, on the other hand, is a high ranking fan favourite.

• User Avatar Image
    exo

@Lambonius said: Sometimes it would happen right away, sometimes it seemed like I would wait FOREVER on the screen before he appeared.

Well hell, when it comes to waiting puzzles, the eagle feather in KQ3 is my worst experience.

I looked every where for that thing. Finally, I check a hint guide and it says an eagle will randomly fly by and drop it. Even armed with this knowledge I still had to climb down the mountain 3 times (had to keep going back up before the wizard got home). So basically, nearly an hour in game time just wandering around waiting for this bloody bird to fly by.

I get that they were trying to give the player a reason to revisit places they had already explored, but that is just too random.

And the most 'You Sons of Bitches) moment for me was realizing I could only walk across that bridge in KQ2 a fixed number of times, and then *whoop*, you gotta play the game from scratch (or at least reload before the first time you crossed unnecessarily). I happened to find that bridge right off the bat, so I had to go all the way back.

What pisses me off about that puzzle is it flies in the face of exploration. The entire point of these games is to explore, even if cautiously. It wasn't even a puzzle... it was just a way to extend the game by making the player do it all over again.

• User Avatar Image
    Cez

Yeah I don't mind deaths in Sierra games either. Those were fine. I PREFER the retry option, although I can understand the argument that it takes from the game because you stop being careful.

HOWEVER, I wish there was a better solution to that that didn't require you to save before you tried everything. Because "saving" shouldn't be part of a game experience, it just breaks the immersion by reminding you that this is a game, and you have menus.

• @Cez said:
    HOWEVER, I wish there was a better solution to that that didn't require you to save before you tried everything. Because "saving" shouldn't be part of a game experience, it just breaks the immersion by reminding you that this is a game, and you have menus.

I always felt like the ability to save anywhere was just another tool in my adventure game box, like the hand or talk icons. It was an integral part of the experience for me.

I didn't just use saving for trying new things, I saved all the time before cool parts (once I had beaten the game, of course) just so I could replay or rewatch them. Being able to save at any point in the game really extended the life of the game for me.

Add Comment