User Avatar Image

When can we expect to see SOMETHING about Telltale's KQ?

posted by Blackthorne519 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users

I wonder when we'll see or hear something substantial about Tell-Tale's King's Quest game.

Bt

480 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Another place a person might search and hi and low for 'bridles' might be the various houses... There is alot of junk in the Fisherman's house... The manor is a pretty big place... Rich people often own horses! ...or even try to get past the scary forest! Whose to say that someone hadn't lost their horse, while trying ride through the woods!

There is clearly no 'logical' explanation for why a bridle would be 'out at sea' (horses are land mammals)... or that you would need to be eaten by a whale to find it!

Whereas, 'cheese found in a mouse hole' makes perfect sense... It just breaks down from there (once you have found it)...

Encountering the whale is dumb luck, 'non-linear randomness', in a out of the way location... That also requires so many other factors to even get out of the predicament. A player has to assume, that finding the 'whistle' isn't the only reason he ended upon the island!

• The two puzzles have the same problem of lack of logic at different ends.

There's no logical reason to look for a bridle on an island you only reach by being swallowed by a whale. However, once you have it, it's pretty clear what to do with it.

It's no great leap of logic that cheese will be in a mouse's hole. However, once you get it, there's no logical reason to use it to jumpstart a wand machine.

• This thread is a rip-roaring good time! :D

• All this madness over a piece of cheese.
    Look, King's Quest is CHEESY. Therefore, it is only logical that machines in the series be powered by Cheese. Simple.

• @exo said: [...] I'm a troll [...]

Yes, I know.

• Exo's post did come off as insulting, in a "Nobody here agrees with you so shut up and go away already" kind of way. I would not call him a troll, but "Agree to disagree?" would have been a much better and polite way to voice what he wanted to say. Just saying.

Back on topic, I'm with Blackthorne and Katie on this one, both puzzles are retarded and their only purpose was to incite people to buy hint books or dial the Sierra's hint line. Telltale will hopefully not pull off something this retarded in their game.

Back on on topic, walking deads or dead ends are hardly a generational thing. The Secret Of Monkey Island was released a year after King's Quest V. It, and the many dead end free LucasArts games that followed it were damn hard none-the-less, it was regarded as a breath of fresh air when it was released and I cannot think of a single post-Loom LucasArts game that would be improved if dead ends were included.

I also disagree that it only takes thirty minutes to restart from the start when you encounter a dead end in an adventure game. When you know where you screwed up or where the item you need is, sure, it takes thirty minutes, but when you don't know the exact moment where you screwed up, and that was the case in many old school adventure games, you have to double and triple check every rooms looking for something you didn't pick up or didn't do correctly, hardly something you can do under thirty minutes.

But the more I think about it, the more I think that dead ends, like death, are not inherently frustrating, it's just that more often than not they have been badly implemented, and if it's possible to make dying in adventure games a logical, fair and non frustrating process that add to the immersion and realism, or in the case of some Sierra games, is part of the fun, maybe the same could be done with dead ends.

What if dead ends were fair, logical and not tied to moon logic puzzles, if the solutions were located in the same chapter as the dead ends and you only had to replay a small portion of the game, not the whole thing, if the game warned you that you are currently in an unwinnable state, hinted where exactly you screwed up, didn't not force you to replay maze or action sequences, warned you beforehand that you had to be prepared before entering an area you cannot come back from, provided automatic saves, that could not be overwritten, at specific moments in the game like the beginning of each chapters, or what if the game was still completable, if only with a sub-par ending... well, maybe dead ends could be tolerable.

I do not believe dead ends will get a revival in commercial projects, there is simply too much stigmata linked to them, doing so would simply drive away everyone but a minority of ultra hardcore players, it would be a financial suicidal move. But in freeware indie adventure games? Who knows. Maybe designing a game where dead ends are present, tolerable and a welcome feature could be a project Infamous Adventures could try to tackle.

• I kind of like dead ends, if the objective is pretty clearly given to you earlier in the game. I don't like them when they come out of nowhere, but the idea that you didn't accomplish something earlier can bite you in the ass later appeals to me.

Dead ends can be used, but they must be handled with a lot of planning and care, for sure. In the end, no game is perfect - it's entertainment, and sometime what seems to work well for a designer doesn't end up working well out in practice. I'd rather designers take a risk like that - far too often (but not always, I cannot stress that enough) clinging to a no-dead ends philosophy leads to bland and safe game design.

Bt

• I really hope they release something soon... even a little teaser art or something.

• I agree. However, it seems to be standard procedure for TTG to not give very many details about their projects until they're almost at the release date.

• For the record, I don't condone exo's tone and I have nothing against Chyron. My comments about clairvoyance were more in jest than anything. But I stand by what I said. It was luck that you guessed the whale appeared only after the unicorn puzzle was launched. Like I said, one could assume that the whale's appearance is an extremely rare random event. It's not that far fetched. Especially in King's Quest. And what about the people that don't spend most of their game time swimming back and forth between Tamir's shores and Genesta's island?

Anyway, this is a stupid debate now so I quit. :p

Add Comment