Menu
User Avatar Image

Black Signs and Newspapers in "Back to the Future" when I play german

posted by Andres Nilsson on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

Hello,

I have a problem when I play the Deluxe Edition of "Back to the Future" in german language.

In Episode 1 the signs and newspaper are shown as black boxlike shapes and I don't see any grafics.

How can I solve this problem?

Another question: When I have bought the deluxe edition of the game, is it better to install it from cd or should I better download the game because the version from the internet I more actual?

12 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

I don't see anything unusual in your dxdiag. Could you please upload a screenshot of the issue?

Regarding your second question - I don't know if the online version is more up to date, so i can't answer this properly, but in this case i would try if it works better.

• Hello,

here are two screenshots issue with the missing newspaper. This issue also appeared, when I looked at the sign of the videothek from Edna Stricklands window.

Any idea?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

It's been a while since i played BTTF, and i played it in English only. I think i haven't read about any other case like this before, and i don't have a solution at the moment.

One thing you could try is running the game during a clean boot. Maybe some software interferes with the loading of some of the games resources.

Also, could you please upload the savegame?

Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. If running the game on Steam, re-check the "Steam Client Service"
    8. Click on OK
    9. Click Restart.
    10. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

• Hello,

I have tried to deactivate all these things that you told me. Unfortunately the newspaper is still black.
    Which file(s) do you need and where can I find it/them, when I would like to send you a saved game?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

You should be able to find the save games in a folder like "Eigene Dokumente\Telltale Games\EPISODE NAME". The file names end on .save.

• Hello,

sorry, it's not possible to upload a saved game her - error message: Invalid File

Do you have any other ideas?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

It's because of the file type. You can either zip the file and attach it, or upload it to any filehosting service.

• Okay, here my savegame that is 5 minutes before the black newspaper. Does it help to solve the problem?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

I don't know yet. Did you try reinstalling the episode, or installing the downloadable episode yet?

• I just experienced the same problem and found a solution and the reason why this mistakes occurs.

First: Telltale has made the mistake. The Collector's DVD is faulty and the German localization does not work as it should (the french and english version works fine!). The digital version however works but since they seem to have changed the version it does not contain any other audio language than english (only subtitles for other languages). So what do you do if you have the Collector's DVD and want to play with German language audio AND localized newspapers, signs ect?

1) Download and install the digital versions of the game.

2) Copy the files in the localization of your language called i.e. for Episode 1 "1_BackToTheFuture101_pc_data_german.ttarch" to a save directory.

3) Uninstall the game (keeping all those localized files in your save directory).

4) Install the game from your DVD.

5) Copy the localized files from your save directory into the subdirectorys they belong to overwriting the existing ones.

There you have the complete localized version with German audio and no more missing signs/newspapers.

I only tested it for episode 1 and it worked fine. I don't even know if this mistake occurs in other episodes as well so it may not be necessary to do this for all episodes. There simply is no other way to make the DVD version work correctly otherwise when playing in German. It is NOT a problem of the system or the graphics card it simply is a mistake made by telltale.

Add Comment