User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 201.4K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I've only been on Facebook for a few months, and I'll continue to use it the way that I have so far: watching and commenting on what other people put up, occasionally PMing someone, and once in a while, sharing a link with someone. Up to this point, I've been deliberately not putting my life on Facebook (which is why I went so long without having one at all), so I don't expect timeline to be a problem for me, other than making my profile look like ass.

That said, if timeline does become a privacy problem for me, I'm torching my whole damn account.

• Just fill up the entire thing with your windmill guy avatar. That will fix everything.

• I feel like a child saying this but my nightmares aren't letting me sleep.

• @Rather Dashing said: I feel like a child saying this but my nightmares aren't letting me sleep.

A strong sleeping pill might be your best bet. You should see a doctor if normal ones don't work.

• @Secret Fawful said: Doug Walker's Star Trek reviews are awful, lack critical analysis, and should never have been made.

Why are you looking for a critical analysis of Star Trek?

This is the first time I've seen any of his reviews

oh. well, obviously, you're not familiar with his style. The Nostalgia Critic takes nostalgic movies (ie. movies that came out when he was growing up) and picks them apart in a humorous way. He largely uses bad movies or movies that a child might think was good yet watching them as an adult we find that they're terrible, toward this end.

He doesn't do critical analyses, he runs through a movie and points out/makes fun of what is wrong with it. The problem with his Star Trek:TMP and Star Trek 3 reviews are that The Motion Picture's primary flaw is that it is slow moving, so he didn't have a lot to work with. Star Trek 3 really isn't that bad at all, so similar there. However, I like his Star Trek 5 review. That movie is terrible and deserves to be made fun of.

@Secret Fawful said: He had a joke admitting he knows nothing bout what he's reviewing, not an uncommon occurrence with him, and then had an unfunny cameo where Angry Joe tried to explain a plot detail to him, and he basically turned it into a joke saying he wasn't going to try to understand anything or explain anything or let anyone else make things clear

No, what actually happened was that he pointed out the design differences between the Klingons of The Original Series TV show, and the Klingons of the movies (ie. smooth forehead vs. ridges). Angry Joe was going to nerd out about the various story-related fan-theories behind this (though anyone who has seen the Enterprise 2-part episodes "Affliction" and "Divergence" would know the canon material answered this already).

At the end of the day, it's just a costume redesign. That's it. If you're not a Trek fan enough to care, it doesn't matter; and the Critic wasn't going to bore the people who don't care with those minute details when they have no bearing on the plot. I'm a huge Star Trek fan myself, and I can say these things without being upset about it.

Critic does point out nonsensical things in Star Trek 5, like the lack of order to deck numbers, how a photon torpedo from the Enterprise didn't harm a being when Klingon phasers destroy it, the absurdity of going to a specific place in the galaxy to try to find where God is physically hiding, and why Kirk wasn't temporarily transferred to a ship that wasn't in shambles if all Starfleet needed was experienced leadership. I don't see what was wrong with this review, but really if you are actually looking for an objective analysis, then that's not really the Nostalgia Critic's goal.

If you want a prime candidate for one of Nostalgia Critic's best reviews, watch his review of The Room.

• I actually didn't like that one as much as some others...it was too....easy.

• There are many movies that he reviews that are too easy, like the animated Titanic movies or Neverending Story 3. I liked his The Room review because Tommy Wiseau is such a terrible actor/writer/director/whatever that there was just so much to play around with.

• I know, and I like a lot of the easy ones too. I like when he experimented more...like We're Back. I enjoyed that review. I can't think of a favourite one off hand though.

..ugh and the worst is how great Wiseau actually thinks he is.

This discussion has been closed.