User Avatar Image

Are you kidding me with these graphics?

posted by caeska on - last edited - Viewed by 5K users

Because this is absolutely ridicilous.
When is TTG going to learn and actually implement some proper graphics and animations into their games?
While this style of graphics is too cartoony and doesn't fit the L&O genre at all but I wouldn't mind that so much if Telltale would just take the graphics aspect somewhat seriously.

Look at Jurassic Park: Good characters, good story. But the graphics look like they were, and they probably were, done by amateurs who never attended a graphic design class in their lives.
My 5-year old niece could have done a better job in that department. The character animations as a whole, body language, movement, lip synch and
facial expressions of emotions is completely unrealistic and it is actually done so poorly that it makes it impossible to get immersed into the game world. BTTF was the same, no effort whatsoever put into animations and thus, no entertainment value.

And so far L&O seems poised to do exactly the same mistakes that BTTF and JP did because there is no indication that L&O will be any better. It's too rough around the edges and with the graphics style they've chosen to use they've effectively destroyed the game before it's even released. I'm still hoping to be proven wrong, but somehow I have my doubts.

If they are not going to bother to work with the graphics and animations, then I'm not going to bother with paying money for the game. It really is that simple. The graphics aspect is so important in a computer game that in many cases, it determines whether it becomes a success
or failure. And it is one of the most contributing factors to replay value and how drawn you as a player get into the game.

175 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Ok, obviously I'm very late to this, but...just my two cents, having been a Telltale fan since Bone:

It's not that Telltale fans have a "preference for cartoony graphics". It just so happens that the vast majority of games Telltale worked with starting up and at the peak of its popularity were derived from comics/cartoons/animation.

They're very capable of doing more "realistic" graphics as they've shown with Jurassic Park and the CSI series they used to do.

That being said, people have to understand that Telltale's obviously designed L&O Legacies first and foremost as a casual/IOS style project with a lower budget than other projects.

In fact, the art style kinda reminds me of the last L&O game(s) that were released on BigfishGames (they're absolutely awful hidden object-style games focused around the Criminal Intent spinoff).

So...Not only is the art style partly a stylistic/monetary choice, but a case of necessity as well. After all, it's been clearly marketed as an IOS game, which means the capability of the various devices had to be kept in mind unless they wanted to limit their market only to A5 devices (iPhone 4S, iPad 2) which would be ill-advised and even then you wouldn't get Crysis 2 or L.A. Noire.

Having played through the fourth case, the graphics really don't bother me. In fact, they're kind of fitting after you get used to them.

The voice actors on the other hand....don't get me started.

• @yoman45135 said: It's called logic smartass you have to be dumb or ignorant to actually believe there are more bttf fans on these forums than telltale fans

No, it's not called logic. It's called 'Pataphysics. Look it up. It's right up your alley.

• @JJoyce said: Ok, obviously I'm very late to this, but...just my two cents, having been a Telltale fan since Bone:

It's not that Telltale fans have a "preference for cartoony graphics". It just so happens that the vast majority of games Telltale worked with starting up and at the peak of its popularity were derived from comics/cartoons/animation.

They're very capable of doing more "realistic" graphics as they've shown with Jurassic Park and the CSI series they used to do.

That being said, people have to understand that Telltale's obviously designed L&O Legacies first and foremost as a casual/IOS style project with a lower budget than other projects.

In fact, the art style kinda reminds me of the last L&O game(s) that were released on BigfishGames (they're absolutely awful hidden object-style games focused around the Criminal Intent spinoff).

So...Not only is the art style partly a stylistic/monetary choice, but a case of necessity as well. After all, it's been clearly marketed as an IOS game, which means the capability of the various devices had to be kept in mind unless they wanted to limit their market only to A5 devices (iPhone 4S, iPad 2) which would be ill-advised and even then you wouldn't get Crysis 2 or L.A. Noire.

Having played through the fourth case, the graphics really don't bother me. In fact, they're kind of fitting after you get used to them.

The voice actors on the other hand....don't get me started.

Yes in Law & Orders case I cant really speak because Im only a small fan and I think the art style is ok, but in bttf it is ment to be treated as part 4 and to be blunt the art style just does not look right, I dont care about graphics usually but being a huge bttf fan I just cant think of it as a part 4 because it does not look like one, Enviorment and cars etc are perfect but characters look like dumb actors who dont know how to act.

I just hope now that some of telltale's games are getting better art styles telltale will upgrade bttf to the jurassic park art style, if they do I will rest my case and promise I will not argue about there art styles anymore.

Like you said and I agree most game they use to make are based on comics and cartoons so thats fine but bttf is not so it should look right.

• @MrSneeze said: No, it's not called logic. It's called 'Pataphysics. Look it up. It's right up your alley.

so your saying I cant be right because you dont agree with what im saying...

Biased much?

• @yoman45135 said: so your saying I cant be right because you dont agree with what im saying...

Biased much?

Case in point: I haven't said that, but you've just proven what I said.

Anyway, the truth of the matter is: I don't remember being this cross-eyed when I was 14, but there you have it.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@yoman45135 said: Yes in Law & Orders case I cant really speak because Im only a small fan and I think the art style is ok,

So we're DONE HERE.

• As an oldschool gamer, I don't give a damn about aesthetics, but the character designs do have some serious rotoscoped-looking Uncanny Valley issues, which as a big fan of L&O I'm willing to suppress the gibblies over. I've had issues with rotoscoping ever since I saw Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings as a kid.

• Been under a rock and didn't know about this game till the email today. From looking at the trailer the art style looks fine. Not sure if I'll get the game as I was never really into L&O (CSI or any other law drama like that)

• I think the graphics look fine, now that I got the game, but as good as they are, they don't seem to "fit" L and O. It's water and oil - you need both, but mixing together is just odd.

What we need is more like salt and vinegar. Works well next to each other.

Ironically, if they went this route with BTTF, it would have totally worked.

• @eblocksonian said: I think the graphics look fine, now that I got the game, but as good as they are, they don't seem to "fit" L and O. It's water and oil - you need both, but mixing together is just odd.

What we need is more like salt and vinegar. Works well next to each other.

Ironically, if they went this route with BTTF, it would have totally worked.

No way it works ok for Law & Order but for bttf I strongly disagree!!

Add Comment