User Avatar Image

Questions for the Walking Dead team!

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 11.4K users

Hey guys, I know it's still early days on this project, and we're a ways off from talking about anything concrete, but it seemed like as good a time as any to start an official Q&A thread!

In all honesty there isn't a lot we can talk about yet -- we were going to do press for the game at PAX East last month, but held off when we realized that our answer to almost any conceivable standard press question would be "no comment, yet" -- but I trust you guys to rise above the standard questions, and come up with some Walking Dead stuff we can discuss, so have at it. Ask away!

1.3K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Lunarjax's questions answered would be great :)

• I don't really know what to ask in here. Perhaps you folks could tell us a bit about what creates creating a Jogging Deceased activity interesting to you, and what you're expecting to obtain with your activity. Can we anticipate a frequent experience activity, or something a bit more action-oriented like Jurassic Playground, or something else entirely? Also, how engaged is Kirkman in all this? I saw a number of sections about the tv sequence from various business meetings online. com, and he's a very awesome guy. I completely assistance Milkman's recommendation that he should be on some kind of Identifying podcast.

• @youngjohn12 said: I don't really know what to ask in here. Perhaps you folks could tell us a bit about what creates creating a Jogging Deceased activity interesting to you, and what you're expecting to obtain with your activity. Can we anticipate a frequent experience activity, or something a bit more action-oriented like Jurassic Playground, or something else entirely? Also, how engaged is Kirkman in all this? I saw a number of sections about the tv sequence from various business meetings online. com, and he's a very awesome guy. I completely assistance Milkman's recommendation that he should be on some kind of Identifying podcast.

Post of the year! Google translate, anyone?

Jogging Deceased. hahaha--priceless!

• Jogging Deceased? Does that imply "fast zombies?" :p

• @WARP10CK said:
    [QUOTE=SHODANFreeman;489995]Will this game contain puzzles?

More importantly will it contain any gameplay at all ??[/QUOTE]

Even more importanly, will you be able to walk in the Walking Dead? I hope it's not like Jurassic Park, where you have this stupid "picture in picture" method of moving abouts. Which was retarded because after you click on where you want to go, 9 out of 9 times, you'll see your charcter walking over there.

• @Nintendo Boy1 said: Even more importanly, will you be able to walk in the Walking Dead? I hope it's not like Jurassic Park, where you have this stupid "picture in picture" method of moving abouts. Which was retarded because after you click on where you want to go, 9 out of 9 times, you'll see your charcter walking over there.

I liked the JP controls.
    Walking is just nonsense, there's no real need to have it if the game resemble a graphic adventure.

Positive aspects:
    1) No more fake walls that costrain you to a certain area
    2) A more cinematic look
    3) No more long and dull walks from a location to another
    4) Watching a character moving, staring the air or standing without doing nothing is really pityful. (if you don't realize it, just look to this funny clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfBbuMQ_AA8)
    5) No more controls problems

Disadvantages:
    1) Someone may feel disconnected.

And I ask why... Postal allows you to walk, but you don't feel connected either, the same with Still Life 2, 15 Days or Lost Via Domus ... so having connection with the character is not something about walking!
    Gabriel Knight 2 is one of the best adventure game, and doesn't allow you to walk anywhere. And no one complained that Nelson Thethers cannot walk around!
    And even I feel that L.A. Noire's control scheme is completely dull (walking while pushing your body against all the fornitures or against the kitchen to find something useful is really bad... and doing maneuvers to focus objects is even worse...).

I feel that everything it's all about "I've the urgency to push buttons on my joypad!!!".

• Yeah, Jurassic Park had a lot of problems, but not being able to walk wasn't one of them.

• @Bloody Eugene said: I liked the JP controls.
    Walking is just nonsense, there's no real need to have it if the game resemble a graphic adventure.

Positive aspects:
    1) No more fake walls that costrain you to a certain area
    2) A more cinematic look
    3) No more long and dull walks from a location to another
    4) Watching a character moving, staring the air or standing without doing nothing is really pityful. (if you don't realize it, just look to this funny clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfBbuMQ_AA8)
    5) No more controls problems

Disadvantages:
    1) Someone may feel disconnected.

And I ask why... Postal allows you to walk, but you don't feel connected either, the same with Still Life 2, 15 Days or Lost Via Domus ... so having connection with the character is not something about walking!
    Gabriel Knight 2 is one of the best adventure game, and doesn't allow you to walk anywhere. And no one complained that Nelson Thethers cannot walk around!
    And even I feel that L.A. Noire's control scheme is completely dull (walking while pushing your body against all the fornitures or against the kitchen to find something useful is really bad... and doing maneuvers to focus objects is even worse...).

I feel that everything it's all about "I've the urgency to push buttons on my joypad!!!".

There are a lot of problems with this post--but I'll just say this. Gabriel Knight 2 SUCKS BALLS. And you DO walk in it--not sure what you're talking about. There are a lot of screens where walking is minimal--they take one or two steps and then the scene changes, but there are also just as many areas where you control the character just like you do in any other point and click Sierra game--Gabriel and Grace have sprites and they walk all the way across screens to the spots where you click.

I would argue that the player feeling totally disconnected from the game is a MAJOR design problem that trumps all of those other issues you listed and then some.

What I will agree with is that the inability to have direct control of your character is not the only (or even the most serious) problem with the "gameplay" of a game like Telltale's JP.

• Can we expect to see The Walking Dead on Steam?

Add Comment