User Avatar Image

The Great Sherlock Thread

posted by Ribs on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users

Oh, hello, I didn't see you there!

You either clicked on this thread for one of three reasons. You either;
A. Was curious about it's contents and had no interest in the topic.
B. Thought this thread was discussing the Ritchie films
or C. Wished to discuss the masterful BBC and PBS produced 'Sherlock' series, ran by Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat and starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.

sherlockr.png

If you chose Option C, you are correct! That's right, the fantastic adventures of Sherlock and Dr. Watson shall continue starting New Years Day on BBC1 and each Sunday thereafter for a whopping three further weeks (insert 'Wow! Three Whole Weeks!'s)

If you've yet to experience the pure joy of the first series, it is available on Netflix streaming and on DVD (Amazon: US and UK).

Now then, let's get to the discussion, eh! Why not start with some thoughts on the first episode, Steven Moffat's "A Study in Pink"?

248 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Ribs said: one of my favorite parts about Sherlock Holmes - he doesn't get the grand finale, he's just a person in the end and he ends up dying a insignificant death.

What? Sherlock Holmes never dies, except in inferior pastiches.

He's still alive today. He's just celebrated his 158th birthday in the last few days.

• @FitzoliverJ said: What? Sherlock Holmes never dies, except in inferior pastiches.

He's still alive today. He's just celebrated his 158th birthday in the last few days.

Well, he becomes an old man and mostly stops solving cases, and dies a presumably quiet death is what I meant by that.

Also, Reichenbach got an AI figure of 91, which is unprecedented. Only Downton Abbey regularly beats that (and Journey's End of Doctor Who did slightly better), with most TV averaging in the mid-80s.

Also; The Master did never win, because the events were undone. He always loses: even when he destroys what seems to be half the universe in Logopolis, the Doctor manages to stop him and beat him at some point.

• Given Britain's relatively relaxed attitude towards swearing on television, and given that the characters in this version tend to call each other by their first names, I'm surprised we've gone two seasons without anybody saying "No shit, Sherlock."

Do they not have that expression in Europe?

• @LuigiHann said: Given Britain's relatively relaxed attitude towards swearing on television, and given that the characters in this version tend to call each other by their first names, I'm surprised we've gone two seasons without anybody saying "No shit, Sherlock."

Do they not have that expression in Europe?

Yes, but the expression stems from Sherlock Holmes himself - the point being that "No shit, Sherlock" is a sarcastic response to something that has been said that is staggeringly obvious and whcih would not need a detective of great deductive abilities to work out - and so, since there wasn't a 19thC Sherlock Holmes in the show's universe, there is no reason for the phrase to exist.

Incidentally, I've got a great idea for the third series. Originally, Conan Doyle was contracted to the 'Strand' for so many stories. "The Final Problem" was not part of this series, and had to be paid for seperately. In the short story itself, Watson says he had no intention to write it, except that Col Moriarty has been defending his brother's name in the press, and Watson wanted to set the record straight.
    So, what if Colonel Moriarty starts work, oh, let's say, on a television show in America based on Sherlock Holmes, and the real detective has to come back to ensure the stupid rip-off merchants' operations are is shut down and his reputation is restored?!

• I started watching this series last year and I have to say....overall Season 2 did the impossible and actually topped season 1 imho.

I am going to just say one thing and with that everything should be said;
    This series is almost better than sex.

• I've got it. There was a truck with a cloth roof that was driving under the building just then. He jumped onto it and the cloth bit broke his fall, just the way it works in Broken Sword!

Yeah, then all that blood pouring stuff, slow heart rate yadda yadda.

Alternatively, he had a blow up raft and pulled an Indiana Jones.

• Are we *really* supposed to think that "Elementary" won't be a rip-off of "Sherlock"?! Now it has been announced that the Great Detective will be played by... well, an actor already considered interchangeable with Benedict Cumberbatch!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17038465

Add Comment