User Avatar Image

Request code: 'issue-56163'

posted by hdallens on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

Dear Support
I already sent you by e-mail on 19h Jan 2012 a request for which you gave me the rref code 'issue-56163' and that I copy here under.
Thanks for let me know what I could do.
Best
Hervé d'Allens
------------------
Dear Support Team

Having recently bought your game for PC "Tales of Monkey Island", in France (FNAC store), I encounter the following problem.
After installation of the game from the DVD reader of my PC and trying launching the game, I get the following error message on my screen, without other possibility than closing this message and cry...

Telltale Games has encountered a problem and needs to close. We apologize for the inconvenience.

AppName: autorun.exe AppVer: 2010.10.21.48112 ModName: autorun.exe

ModVer: 2010.10.21.48112 Offset: 00156ea0

The following files will be included in this bug report:

C:\DOCUME~1\Herve\LOCALS~1\Temp\3d1e_appcompat.txt

My system is as follows:
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.111025-1629)
Language: French (Regional Setting: French)
System Manufacturer: Fujitsu Siemens
System Model: GA-8SGXLFS
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 971MB used, 1494MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

I really hope you can help me to solve and play...

Best regards
Hervé d'Allens

31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yes I have a "Launch of the Screaming Narwhal" folder in "\My Documents\Telltale Games\" where I copied the new prefs.prop file. It doesn't work and I have lost the subtitles and the window game cannot open in full screen...
    Strangely, I noticed that the "Launch of the Screaming Narwhal" folder is the only one with a name in "\My Documents\Telltale Games\", three others being "Episode 1 , 2 , 3" and the fourth one named "Tales of monkey island" ! it seems there's a bug when I installed the game, isn't it.
    In the Programs section I have well the file folders as follows:
    Tales of Monkey Island 101 = Launch of the Screaming Narwhal
    Tales of Monkey Island 102 = The Siege of Spinner Cay
    Tales of Monkey Island 103 = Lair of the Leviathan
    Tales of Monkey Island 104 = The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood
    Tales of Monkey Island 105 = Rise of the Pirate God

Thanks for help.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

I don't really know what kind of DVD you have, it might be different from the official TTG DVD in some aspects i don't know about.
    Is it a localized french version?

It's probably best to keep testing with "Launch of the Screaming Narwhal" only for now. I am not sure i understand what the current status is.
    Since you say you lost the subtitles, does that mean that video works now?
    Does it crash when you switch to full screen?

• Unfortunately, the 1st episode is still not working. There is no video image, only sound in english and music, and no option to enlarge the window to full screen.
    This is an official version sold in a regular store famous in France (FNAC), in English with French subtitles.
    I expect that Michael Parks from Teltale team could do something else for me.
    Once more, many thanks for your support!

• User Avatar Image
    Macfly77 Moderator

If you bought the game at a FNAC store, it's probably the version released in France by Focus Home Interactive.
    The game's official website is here and you might get better help regarding that specific version in their forums (as I was typing this, I noticed that you have an open thread on said forum with no answer since January 24... it's possible that Telltale's forums might give you a solution faster... at least until DjNDB realizes that it's high time he learned French! ;)).

Si vous avez acheté le jeu à la FNAC, il s'agit sans doute de la version distribuée en France par Focus Home Interactive.
    Cliquez ici pour accéder au site officiel du jeu.
    Il est aussi probable que leurs forums vous aident plus que ceux de Telltale (au moment où j'écris ces mots, je vois que vous avez un sujet ouvert sur ce forum sans réponse depuis le 24... il est donc possible que les forums de Telltale soient une meilleure solution... du moins jusqu'à ce que DjNDB se décide à apprendre le français!;)).

• Merci Macfly 77. Etes-vous Frenchie ? Sinon bravo pour votre français !
    I continue with my bad english because as you said, I expect more from the Teltale forum than from the Focus Home Interactive one where my thread doesn't seem to interest anybody...
    A bientôt

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Macfly77 said: it's possible that Telltale's forums might give you a solution faster... at least until DjNDB realizes that it's high time he learned French! ;))

Actually I had 4 years of French in school, but i was mediocre, and i stopped trying 17 years ago.

Let's hope that Michael has some more ideas, but he is in the PST Timezone and it's Weekend, so it is possible that it takes a while.

There's one more thing we can try though. In order to test if the problem is specific to your version, or with the game in general, you could try if the Demo works on your system.

But please uninstall the DVD Version first, and delete the "\My Documents\Telltale Games\Launch of the Screaming Narwhal" folder, so the previous installation doesn't interfere.

• User Avatar Image
    Macfly77 Moderator

@hdallens said: Merci Macfly 77. Etes-vous Frenchie ? Sinon bravo pour votre français !

Je suis Belge, mais j'habite depuis si longtemps aux Etats-Unis que j'ai parfois des difficultés à trouver les mots les plus simples en français.
    Si DjNDB ne parvient pas à vous aider, il est possible qu'une solution se trouve dans un des 94 sujets de ce forum contenant le mot "Tales" dans le titre.
    Cliquez ici pour une liste complète.
    Bonne chance!

• I got video with the demo but it is very slow and driving the mouse to click and drag is just like a random game...!
    I am afraid this game cannot be used on my system correctly, despite my system complies with the features announced on the Tales of Monkey commercial box.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

Yes, your system is not exactly up to date, but i thought it was worth trying.

That the demo works is a good sign actually. The slow mouse happens with weak graphics cards. Now you can try reducing the "graphics quality" setting to 1.

• The demo perfectly works with Quality setting at level 1 !

I will reinstall my DVD and let you know...

Thanks

Add Comment