User Avatar Image

Best and Worst KQ game?

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

Which are the best and worst KQ games, and why?

173 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It's cartoony like VolTron was cartoony.

Bt

• Yes, Loom is certainly cartoony... Almost in the same style as Secret of Monkey Island...

• I think why KQ3 ranked so high on my list is when I first played it as a kid I one instantly identified with Gwydion (Alexander) because he was younger then Graham..

There was also a sense of urgency and sneaking around I liked.. It felt like I was going to get caught at any second..

I know now years later there isn't much to the game but I get nostalgic about it when I play.

So yeah... that is why it rated so high on my list.

• I think its, pretty good for the first time play through... But its one that I feel ages with each additional play (when compared to others in the series)...

It doesn't have much replay value, and the spell system is kinda tedious... As is the 'travel up the mountain' between the sorcerer's trips... I tend to go to take out Manannan first thing, to avoid any of that problem, when I play the game now (at least limits the amount of times I need to head up and down the mountain)...

Waiting for events is another tedious aspect of the game... The whole ship sequence for example takes a long time, to reach the other land... You also have to wait for the random rat conversation (if you want to get the treasure chest and full points) which can take quite a bit of time, and restories (if you are unlucky).

I already mentioned that the puzzles aren't that compelling, since the manual more or less tells you what items you need, and what those items are used for.

But its seriously not one of the games I go back to play over and over that much due to its limitations and flaws.... It's a very slow and tedious game... It didn't age well...

How does Infamous Adventure's Klytos describe games (and there continued appeal)? Floaters, sinkers, and growers?

I'd add the term, 'shrinker'... KQ3, is one that 'shrinks' with repeated play throughs imo...

• I'm surprised Kings' Quest 7 isn't hated as much as it should be. Don't get me wrong, I don't care for 8 either. The best King's Quest games are IV, V, and VI. But I think too many people like 7 more than they should. Let's be honest. Mask of Eternity wasn't the ruination of King's Quest, though it was certainly a terrible King's Quest game, it was Princeless Bride. There are numerous reasons I feel this way.

1. Too cutesy: Don't get me wrong. I love cutesy stuff. King's Quest 1-6 had plenty of cutesy stuff. But none of it was overdone, over the top cutesy. Fairy-tales are dark and dreary, as well as cute. Three had cute elements like the three bears, but it also had very dark elements, child slavery. Two had a Hagatha, a cannibal. Six had cute elements like the Isle of Wonders and the garden, but it also had dark elements like the Isle of the Dead and murder.

2. Lame Villain: Malicia is an awful villain. She's like something from a Saturday morning cartoon. Let's look at five. Five had Mordack, someone you didn't want to mess with, one scary wizard with a vendetta. Six had Abdul Allhazarad, a treacherous advisor who had murdered the king and queen so as to wed the princess and then possibly kill her off. Four had Lolita, another nasty villainess who had Rosella do her evil bidding and terrorized Genesta. Three had Manannan, a wizard who kidnapped children, made them into slaves, and then killed them when they reached eighteen.

3. Rosella the brat: What happened to the Rosella I loved in King's Quest IV, who saved Tamir and her father? She's been made into a valley-girl, a whiny brat! When she talks she gives me a migraine. Her bad Sound-of-Music like song at the beginning doesn't help either. Except, Sound of Music was actually good.

4. Too cartoony: The previous games had somewhat of a cartoon feel, but more in a serious nature. Their graphics made the fairy tale lands feel a bit enchanted and magical. This game is more like a bad rendition of Disney.

There you have it. Mask of Eternity isn't that great, and is one of my least favorites. But I'm a little bewildered at the people who praise Princeless Bride so much. It's really not that great of a game, and, if I may be frank, a disgrace to the previous King's Quest games.

• I liked 7.. I thought it was a bunch of fun..

• I agree. I can see why people have disdain for certain aspects of gameplay, like a single-option cursor, no narrator, lack of walk-speed controls, and an either wonky or nonexistent ability to save on-the-fly... but I still don't think it deserves as much hate as it gets. It's as though KQ7 is one of those games that has become popular to complain about.

• Yeah... On its own its as good as other adventure games that have been praised.

• @Chyron8472 said: I agree. I can see why people have disdain for certain aspects of gameplay, like a single-option cursor, no narrator, lack of walk-speed controls, and an either wonky or nonexistent ability to save on-the-fly... but I still don't think it deserves as much hate as it gets. It's as though KQ7 is one of those games that has become popular to complain about.

Like MOE?

• @MusicallyInspired said: Like MOE?

MoE though is not an adventure game. It's a 3D-action-platformer. It's a spin-off.

I take issue with acceptance of it as a core title when it's really not. Now, it could have been a core title, if the series had continued further in the same or another style/genre of gameplay, but as it stands MoE is the only title that is not a point & click (or parser) adventure game. Thus, it stands out on its own, with its own style being widely dissimilar from the other games.

Add Comment