User Avatar Image

Question about bonus disk

posted by SWGNATE on - last edited - Viewed by 888 users

Hi my question is.. if i bought the game on steam, am i eligible for the bonus disk if i show proof of purchase??

27 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Try sending a PM right to Michael Parks that would probably be your best bet... Like divisionten said.. we just help keep the forums nice and fun for everyone.. we do not have anything to do with TTG other than that... But we do get a cool little Max head behind our names... so we have that going for us...
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/member.php?u=312109

• @divisionten said: Lukedfrt, moderators on this forum CANNOT help you with purchase questions/questions about programming/etc. We don't know nor are privy to this information at all. Moderators' jobs involve board management- ie moving threads to the proper subforums or banning a user that infringes on policy (posting nudity or obscenities, for example).

That sort of question needs to go to Telltale staff, not us.

@divisionten said: Try sending a PM right to Michael Parks that would probably be your best bet... Like divisionten said.. we just help keep the forums nice and fun for everyone.. we do not have anything to do with TTG other than that... But we do get a cool little Max head behind our names... so we have that going for us...
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/member.php?u=312109

Thanks for responding, this is all i wanted to know. I have PM'd Michael Parks and will wait for a response.

• @Emo Hoe said: Probably basic business sense; watching the forums nearly everyone seems to always either just got the downloads OR buy the deluxe edition. Because why pay to have a disc shipped when you can access the downloads anywhere anyway? So it was probably becoming financially un-viable to produce a basic version disc as it seems as if they probably did not sell. So they just keep the 2 formats that did sell: the basic download only and the deluxe download, disc and extra goodies.

1) The Deluxe Edition costs more and only the DVD Version of the (most) games doesn't have DRM - that's why I always wanted a normal DVD additionally to the download version (I even told my friends to order their games at telltale of which I'm not so sure of anymore).

2) The main problem is not only that they've changed their policy. It is that they changed it without anouncing anything about it. I didn't even know that teh deluxe edition would be the only way to get a DRM free Disc Version before it costed 20$ more. Since I have to pay additional fees for import here in germany the deluxe version alone would cost me about 69$ + pp which I wouldn't even pay for any game of a regular release in store.

I am still very disappointed :(

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Was denn, ein Spiel kostet einfach so mehr, nur weil du es aus den USA importierst? Na, das ist ja mal vollllll ungerecht. ;)

It's true that the "missing" bonus disc wasn't announced when the regular edition went live. It might be true that long-time TTG fans have come to expect the bonus disc with a regular release, but still it is and always was a "bonus", hence the name, and was always advertised as such. I'd be disappointed if this becomes the norm, but we'll have to wait for the Walking Dead to see if JP was an exception or is supposedly the new "norm" (I am not counting Hector or Law & Order as "regular" TTG releases here; it should be respectively obvious why).

• @Vainamoinen said: It might be true that long-time TTG fans have come to expect the bonus disc with a regular release, but still it is and always was a "bonus", hence the name, and was always advertised as such.

What does that even mean? I agree that if Telltale doesn't announce a disk at the time of purchase, they're under no obligation to produce one; customers cannot expect a disk for every series no matter how many previous series had them. Nor is it appropriate for Steam buyers to expect any kind of bonus offered to direct customers.

However, Telltale did announce a free-with-purchase (not including shipping) DVD for JP:TG. I specifically asked for confirmation/clarification and was told by a Telltale employee (in the very next post) that it would be free. There was no mention that DVD's were limited to deluxe editions -- the question, the answer, and FAQ as changed by that employee all referred to "digital" edition. I'm sorry, but there's no way around the fact that Telltale lied about this to non-deluxe buyers. And if I had actually bought the PC/Mac (instead of Xbox) version, you can bet there'd be a complaint filed with the appropriate CA state consumer protection agency.

• I understand your frustration. I gave you the information that I had at the time, which was correct at the time but has since changed. If you see that as a lie, I don't want to say, but I am sorry.

• @Michael Parks said: I understand your frustration. I gave you the information that I had at the time, which was correct at the time but has since changed. If you see that as a lie, I don't want to say, but I am sorry.

If I see it as a lie? If I had bought the product, I would see it as fraud! This is not about your personal intentions at the time you made the statement. It's about Telltale taking responsibility for the information it and its employees provide, about failing to deliver product as originally described, and changing the terms of purchase after the customer's money has been taken.

Do you and Telltale really not get that there are consumer laws in place to address exactly this kind of situation, to prevent companies from saying one thing about a product and then claiming, oh, gee, sorry, that information wasn't "correct"?

• @thom-22 said: If I see it as a lie? If I had bought the product, I would see it as fraud! This is not about your personal intentions at the time you made the statement. It's about Telltale taking responsibility for the information it and its employees provide, about failing to deliver product as originally described, and changing the terms of purchase after the customer's money has been taken.

Do you and Telltale really not get that there are consumer laws in place to address exactly this kind of situation, to prevent companies from saying one thing about a product and then claiming, oh, gee, sorry, that information wasn't "correct"?

Not the first time this has happened, either (NutriSpecs anyone?). Sad that Telltale is now essentially taking no responsibility for living up to their promises to consumers.

Maybe that's why they make so many announcements via forum post--the statements are harder to find and get less publicity that way, so that it's harder to call them out when the promises are broken.

• I'm mildly confused. Will there or will there not be a DVD for non deluxe buyers??

I too was under the impression that regular buyers were to get a DVD... And yes, there are plenty of laws which deals with this stuff. Especially in Europe, where the penalties are very steep.

Ask someone at EA. They learned this the hard way.

/E

Add Comment