User Avatar Image

Best and Worst KQ game?

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

Which are the best and worst KQ games, and why?

173 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Frankly, both KQ7 and MOE are both games that I hardly ever touch. I remember enjoying MOE back in the day, and marveling at how pretty it was with its cool Voodoo enhanced dynamic lighting. But it looks like dogshit now, and even worse because there is no way to get it to look as nice as it did on 15+ year old hardware. I honestly doubt I'll ever play it again.

KQ7, on the other hand, I ALWAYS hated. I don't play it because it makes me want to claw my own throat out. It's just so horrible in every way.

• @Chyron8472 said: I still don't think [KQ7] deserves as much hate as it gets. It's as though KQ7 is one of those games that has become popular to complain about.

Case in point:

@Chyron8472 said: KQ7, on the other hand, I ALWAYS hated. I don't play it because it makes me want to claw my own throat out. It's just so horrible in every way.

• I didn't care much for King's Quest VII in 1994, and in almost 18 years, my opinion hasn't changed. It just fell short.

Lambo's just very passionate about what he doesn't like. You should see when he likes something, though. If you're standing near him, you're going to be covered in all kinds of spittle and foam.

Bt

• Loom wasn't cartoony, it was colorful. But I don't know if Forge would have resisted LucasArts' tendency to cartoonize their character designs.

• Lamb is an artist and despises the art direction of KQ7 because it's done extremely badly.

• Haha...thanks for standing up for me, chums. :)

I was also purposefully exaggerating for humor effect. ;)

• KQ7 got annoying to me when you clicked on a hotspot and the big clue Valanice would give you is "Hmmm....". Still I always hated KQ2AGI more, the story was boring and sloppy to me. KQ2VGA+ was a big step up.

• MoE though is not an adventure game. It's a 3D-action-platformer. It's a spin-off.

This is 'bull''. Roberta Williams designed it to be King's Quest 8 from the getgo... It was never intended to be a 'spinoff'. She also intended it to evolve out of the limitations of a simple 'Adventure Game"...

You have to remember, KQ7 her previous game had gotten terrible reviews in the industry, many who stated it was 'outdated', and lacked 'innovation'. Some reviewers werent' fond of the art style (although in general that was probably its most 'positive' attribute according to most of the press), and others thought the story overly too 'cute' and/or was dry... Many reviewers went as far to say that Roberta should have just ended when she was ahead (KQ6 and Phantasmagoria as there examples), and not bothered to make KQ7... In anycase it wasn't particularly well received by the industry...

She was living in a period when Adventure game industry was failing, because people wanted more... So she wanted to make a game that combined elements that were successfull at the industry at the time, along with her classic adventure game ideas... KQ8 was that game...

The problem is she started with action (because she had little experience with that) before she got to developing puzzles... Due to techonoglical issues, funding, and internal problems with Sierra's new owners (one guy didn't want Roberta to make the game, thinking her game was 'violent and satanic'...), she never truly got into the level of puzzles that it probably would have had... It never looked as good as she wanted it to look... It didnt' have the number of boss enemies she wanted it to have...

More detailed history here;
    http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/KQ8_development

Roberta's only other alternative at the time, was probably just let KQ7 be the last game... and let the series die...

Incidently, she was somewhat successful on pleasing the industry, as KQ8 received overly positive reviews... People were already asking when she was going to make KQ9... However, it wasn't good enough for the owners of Sierra themselves...

I always hated KQ2AGI more, the story was boring and sloppy
    The story in KQ2 is simple, but compared to other games of its time, it actually was quite innovative... It pushed what games were capable of doing at that time...

Actually compare KQ1AGI to KQ2, and you'll see that KQ1 was by the more the most simple of the early games... KQ2 added more or less linear plot/development (via the door), and introduction movie... KQ1 original didn't really have an intro, and pretty much set the player to randomly explore and solve things... KQ2 is also about twice as large as KQ1 in amount of content, and puzzles.

BTW, I think that KQ2RTS story is crap... It's too gimmicky, changes the story from the original too much... It does many of the same things that The Silver Lining did to the series... Fanfictiony stuff, like 1000 year prophecies, Black Cloak Society tied into everything... The angsty dramatic stuff... But eh I've discussed this in other threads ad nauseum... I won't go much further... I'm serious glad its only fan fiction...
    and even worse because there is no way to get it to look as nice as it did on 15+ year old hardware

Use this, and you'll get all the Voodoo effects again;
    http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/

BTW, I actually find KQ8 to be one of my favorite games in the series... Although I don't really have a 'single favorite'... That's tough, I pretty much like KQ5, KQ6, KQ8, and KQ2 equally...

KQ4 and KQ1SCI are close too...

KQ1AGI is probably my third least favorite after KQ3 and KQ7 (but that's only because art style isn't near as defined as later games in the series)... But its a 'Graham' game, and it has better puzzles than KQ3... So I give it higher marks...

• @Chyron8472 said: MoE though is not an adventure game. It's a 3D-action-platformer. It's a spin-off. I take issue with acceptance of it as a core title when it's really not. Now, it could have been a core title

@Chyron8472 said: This is 'bull''. Roberta Williams designed it to be King's Quest 8 from the getgo... It was never intended to be a 'spinoff'. She also intended it to evolve out of the limitations of a simple 'Adventure Game"...

Whether she intended it to be a spin-off, it still very much feels like one. @Chyron8472 said: it could have been a core title, if the series had continued further in the same or another style/genre of gameplay, but as it stands MoE is the only title that is not a point & click (or parser) adventure game. Thus, it stands out on its own, with its own style being widely dissimilar from the other games.

The first seven games in the series use the same type of fixed-point camera angle, star members of the same family, and in general could be considered prime examples of a graphic adventure game. Combat in these cases is relegated simply to sequences of puzzles of a sort. MoE is the only game to be so removed from the style of the rest of the KQ games. Whether or not it's considered a good game, it's still a very different game.

EDIT: And I'm not about to excuse Roberta for kowtowing to "marketplace realities."

• User Avatar Image
    exo

A game is not a spin-off just because you deem it to be.

See that big number 8 in the title? Ya, that's because it is the 8th game in a series.

Add Comment