User Avatar Image

Star Trek... the Next Thread

posted by BagginsKQ on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users

**IRISHMILE EDIT** ok here is your Star Trek thread instead of talking about it on the Kings Quest section.. Enjoy.. we will now return to your previous conversation.............
** END IRISHMILE EDIT**

I'd surely like to ignore the last Star Trek movie (what kind of writer destroys "Romulus and Remus" in an offscreen/minor incident, rather than focusing on it as a major movie in its own right/Why ignore 60 years of Star Trek time travel mechanics? I.E. if you change time, your previous timeline ceases to exist/paradox created, I.E. City on the Edge of Forever (Original Series), Yesterday's Enterprise (TNG) or Past Tense on DS9, etc, thus the need for Temporal Prime Directives, and an agency that monitors for changes in the timeline?)

http://www.tunequest.org/star-trek-2009-permanency/20090604/

...or the last episode of Enterprise...

Oh well... unfortunately all future Star Trek shows and movies will take those into account... Nothing I can do about it...

140 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It's called a reboot, Baggins, and it was the best way to do it while still acknowledging the last 60 years of canon. He could have just changed everything for no reason. At least this has a reason. I loved the movie, looking forward to the next one. And I prefer the prime timeline.

• Reboots should stay reboots, and do not tie into old universes at all ('time travel' in this case)... Trying to make some quasi-reboot is rediculous...

Also it wasn't advertised as a 'reboot' actually... They said it was neither a reboot, nor was it a 'continuation'/prequel to the original universe...

http://trekmovie.com/2008/10/11/abrams-star-trek-not-classic-reboot-or-prequel/

Q: What made you touch Star Trek?
    JJ: I think it was the opportunity to tell a story that was based on a world and characters that I felt were just compelling and optimistic and the opportunity to treat that universe with a kind of energy and excitement and the resources we had. It didn’t feel like a classic reboot or prequel. It is a brand new thing inspired by characters that are poised to make a big comeback

If it was a reboot, it would have no effect on the original universe... Romulus and Remus would still exist, and Spock would be in that universe... But oh wait, because Star Trek XI was not a true 'reboot', but rather a time travel story gone awry, it left its mark on the regular universe... Reboots don't do that...

• Hater. The series will always be there.

• Yes, I hate Star Trek 2009. That is my right... I thought it was a cheesy movie, with bad acting (worse than usual, actually) (some was good, most was bad)... It was more Star Wars, than Star Trek... With ridiculous ideas and lines like "Red Matter".... and "Supernova"s that destroy universes" (uh right, ever check out Bad Astronomy website?)! Of course, all that overuse of solar flares, and colored lighting... The overly 'MacStore like bridge", and the obvious use of a "brewery" used for engineering deck... Plus a spock that's so out of character, if you compare him to his City on the Edge of Forever's "rules of timetravel".

The movie was made for a generation of people with ADD... There is very little of the 'cerebral'/'human condition' aspects of classic trek...

I won't even go into what I think of what Lucas did to the Star Wars films.., or continues to do them... Lucas has churned out some of the worst movies ever, through his edits, made some of the 'better acting' worse....

• I liked Star Trek 2009. A lot.

I liked it better than I like KQVII and MOE!

Bt

• I liked Star Wars: Episode 1 better than I like Star Trek XI, and that's not saying much... Both are horrible movies...

I don't much care for JJ Abrams stuff at all, or Lucas anymore...

Telltale's Games make better movies, and have better stories than Star Trek XI... That's pretty scary...

• Whatever Lucas may have done to the prequels, Star Wars would not exist at all if it weren't for him, and same with Indiana Jones. Also, Willow is an underrated movie.

• After what he has done to the movies, and with his continued tinkering, maybe things would have been better off without the movies... I stopped buying the movies as soon as I figured out that the only reason he appears to tinker with them, is so that he can sell more editions to gullible fans...

As for Indiana Jones, that movie is seriously more Spielburg's influence than Lucas... But eh Spielburg can be just as bad when it comes to rediculous tinkering and 'censership', see ET special edition...

BTW, I'm not a big fan of hollywood in general... Sitting down to watch a movie, when I have other better things to do, doesn't really interest me! I don't watch adventures, I live the adventures!

I also prefer reading, my imagination is better than any CGI that movies can throw at me...

• User Avatar Image
    exo

@GuybrushWilco said: Whatever Lucas may have done to the prequels, Star Wars would not exist at all if it weren't for him, and same with Indiana Jones. Also, Willow is an underrated movie.

He doesn't get a free pass from me just because he accidentally stumbled across a decent movie back then. If you watch documentaries about the inception of the original three star wars movies you will see just how much of them came from sources other than Lucas. He only directed one, the actor's were making up their own lines, and lucas had nothing to do with imagining the different creatures. Yet somehow people act like star wars was all lucas.

All lucas was responsible for was ripping some basic designs and story from the seven samurai and then letting a bunch of creative people turn it into something decent. We saw what happens when Lucas gets total control over a star wars project. Characters are designed just for marketing toys, aliens speak in absolutely ridiculous accents rather than alien languages, he pads movie with giant overly long action sequences, and vader becomes a whiny bitch.

Add Comment