User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 193.6K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Comrade Pants said: This can be a really good habit to be in. Keep it up.

It helps that I pay less than a quarter of my salary on rent, I eat mostly free scraps and soup from work, I'm not in debt, I don't have any serious health problems, and I only have to take care of myself. Really, I only have to pay about 450 a month on living expenses, which is even less than one bi-monthly paycheck. I'm really fortunate in that aspect. I budgeted that I would put about a 100 dollars a month into savings, but considering how much I'm realizing I'm saving, I'm probably gonna put more.

goddamn im still only 19

forever a baby

• @Giant Tope said: It helps that I pay less than a quarter of my salary on rent, I eat mostly free scraps and soup from work, I'm not in debt, I don't have any serious health problems, and I only have to take care of myself. Really, I only have to pay about 450 a month on living expenses, which is even less than one bi-monthly paycheck. I'm really fortunate in that aspect. I budgeted that I would put about a 100 dollars a month into savings, but considering how much I'm realizing I'm saving, I'm probably gonna put more.

goddamn im still only 19

forever a baby

Give me your money!

Problem solved! XD

• @Alcoremortis said: That's brilliant. Took me awhile to remember what day it is. Tuesday, right?

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

77828573_83393aabb2.jpg

• @Giant Tope said: It helps that I pay less than a quarter of my salary on rent, I eat mostly free scraps and soup from work, I'm not in debt, I don't have any serious health problems, and I only have to take care of myself. Really, I only have to pay about 450 a month on living expenses, which is even less than one bi-monthly paycheck. I'm really fortunate in that aspect. I budgeted that I would put about a 100 dollars a month into savings, but considering how much I'm realizing I'm saving, I'm probably gonna put more.

goddamn im still only 19

forever a baby

It somewhat saddens me that I probably won't even be getting a real job for about seven years. And I'm twenty-two. And if I want to go into academia, it could be twelve years, adding the five year post-doc.

• Save what you can. Emergencies you don't expect come up every now and then, and it helps if you have some extra cash when they do.

But then, don't save so much that you live a life of squalor and die wealthy. :)

• @WarpSpeed said:

But then, don't save so much that you live a life of squalor and die wealthy. :)

Aww why not?

• @Alcoremortis said: It somewhat saddens me that I probably won't even be getting a real job for about seven years. And I'm twenty-two. And if I want to go into academia, it could be twelve years, adding the five year post-doc.

Ah, the American academics system: the world's most unlikely, ruthless, and effective scam. Tragic.

• @Comrade Pants said: Ah, the American academics system: the world's most unlikely, ruthless, and effective scam. Tragic.

Did I mention that I do get paid this entire time? Or at least for ten years of it if I go to a public school. Just not as much as I will once I get a "real" job. It's a comfortable amount though, and three times more than what I've currently been living off of.

• why do people get so uppity about valentine's day? it's just hearts and candies everywhere.

This discussion has been closed.