User Avatar Image

The Great Sherlock Thread

posted by Ribs on - last edited - Viewed by 4.1K users

Oh, hello, I didn't see you there!

You either clicked on this thread for one of three reasons. You either;
A. Was curious about it's contents and had no interest in the topic.
B. Thought this thread was discussing the Ritchie films
or C. Wished to discuss the masterful BBC and PBS produced 'Sherlock' series, ran by Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat and starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.

sherlockr.png

If you chose Option C, you are correct! That's right, the fantastic adventures of Sherlock and Dr. Watson shall continue starting New Years Day on BBC1 and each Sunday thereafter for a whopping three further weeks (insert 'Wow! Three Whole Weeks!'s)

If you've yet to experience the pure joy of the first series, it is available on Netflix streaming and on DVD (Amazon: US and UK).

Now then, let's get to the discussion, eh! Why not start with some thoughts on the first episode, Steven Moffat's "A Study in Pink"?

248 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Andrew Scott's Moriarty is one of the coolest villain portrayals I've ever seen. I find myself copying him and quoting him all the time, and Stayin Alive is totally my ringtone now.

• @Secret Fawful said: Andrew Scott's Moriarty is one of the coolest villain portrayals I've ever seen. I find myself copying him and quoting him all the time, and Stayin Alive is totally my ringtone now.

He's like Evil Graham Norton and it's completely brilliant. The fact they did what Conan Doyle did and barely featured him in person until the very very end made him all the more interesting; he does not have a scene that is easily forgettable, simple as that. He's genuinely frightening, and more importantly, is a fresh take on a character that has been blandly portrayed as 'evil professor' for ages in every possible adaptation. The show may be worse off without him.

• @FitzoliverJ said: Are we *really* supposed to think that "Elementary" won't be a rip-off of "Sherlock"?!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s129/sherlock/news/a366070/sherlock-exec-comments-on-johnny-lee-miller-elementary-casting.html

Looks like Beryl Vertue is concerned.

(Mind you.... maybe they can do a story where London-Sherlock teams up with his long-lost brother New York-Sherlock to solve a crime that Robert Downey Jr couldn't solve a hundred years previously?)

• Well, that's weird. American TV already has a show based on a clever modern spin on Sherlock Holmes, and while I got bored with it quite some time ago it still seems to be ongoing. On the one hand, that gives you an idea of how broad the spectrum is, in terms of the potential to reimagine the character in different ways, so this show too could turn out to be quite different... but on the other hand, looking at that spectrum just makes it more obvious how much less different the premise of Elementary is from that of Sherlock. Guess we'll see

• House is ending this year, though. And it's not just the really smart modern detective, it's more so that it is overtly a Sherlock remake rather then hiding it .

• The new Radio Times features a less-than-serious attempt at predicting the content of CBS's forthcoming series. "Holmes and Watson go to Hawaii" sounds fairly probable, though.

• @FitzoliverJ said: maybe they can do a story where London-Sherlock teams up with his long-lost brother New York-Sherlock to solve a crime that Robert Downey Jr couldn't solve a hundred years previously?)

But only if Jonny Lee Miller is hanging around with Harry Watson....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9110897/Sherlock-Holmes-Lucy-Liu-to-be-first-female-sidekick.html:eek:

(Hang on, didn't they watch "Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century"? He had a female sidekick in that.... *And* in at least one of those live-action unfreeze-Holmes-today movies. And then there's Mary Russell. And...)

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

All right guys, here I am, late to the party as ever. But my Season 2 has only recently arrived. I will go on without spoiler tags, so if you haven't seen Season 2, don't bother!!!

Season 2 was even better than Season 1, which is quite an achievement. That's not to say that the Moffat-Gattissesque exaggeration did not apply, and the plotholes were even greater this time. "Reichenbach Falls" had the best scenes and the greatest plot (Sherlock in court was THE BOMB), but also plotholes the size of England. These two guys NEED an army of script evaluators to tell them what just plain doesn't work!!! Instead, they run completely free. During production, no one has asked them: Why indeed did that girl cry when she saw Sherlock? How can a "genius" assume that computer programs, even the smallest, could be communicated by beating on wood (Moriarty wouldn't have been able to keep the rhythm - let alone arrive at one kilobyte of information in those five minutes AND drink that tea ;) )? If the uber-villain commits suicide out of boredom, wouldn't the viewer do the same thing? The finale setup also just doesn't work.

So although the best scenes are in Reichenbach, I actually liked Belgravia much better. Its ending was a massive exaggeration given Holmes' not exactly impressive infiltration techniques (I'm sure terrorists do not accept Mycroft's ID). But the psychology that was presented made sense to me, shed a lot of light on Sherlock's character without ruining the emotional ice-block that he is. If love works for that character, then like this. I hope Adler will return in one of the next three movies - but only one, please. ;)

Watson was a bit underrepresented, though. The only real focus on the character in Season 2 was in Baskerville. John Watson "pulling rank", that was hilarious. Also, he could investigate a bit himself in that film. In the other episodes, he suffers from the "loyal companion" problem. His relationships fail because of Sherlock, he is always there for him, Watson is the blog writer, the go-between for the Holmes' brothers. That de-characterises him a bit, I feel. A little more focus on Watson's actual relationships - with his sister, for example - and at least a reference to his actual psychological problem of Season 1, the addiction to the thrill of the fight, would have been touches to get Watson through this series better.

The character that really gained in S2 was Mrs. Hudson. While she looked like an innocent, shocked bystander/old lady stereotype in Season 1, we feel that she is actually Sherlock's accomplice in Season 2. And Sherlock does love her somewhat; insults her regularly, but would never bear that someone else also insults her. Telling us that without her, England would fall. And when she gets tortured, Sherlock wants serious revenge.

@FitzoliverJ said: What? Sherlock Holmes never dies, except in inferior pastiches.

Conan Doyle would have sighed at this. Oh, how hard he tried to kill Sherlock in Reichenbach so he could write more historical novels! But the public wouldn't let him. Ohhhh no. ;)

• @Vainamoinen said: All right guys, here I am, late to the party as ever. But my Season 2 has only recently arrived. I will go on without spoiler tags, so if you haven't seen Season 2, don't bother!!!

Season 2 was even better than Season 1, which is quite an achievement. That's not to say that the Moffat-Gattissesque exaggeration did not apply, and the plotholes were even greater this time. "Reichenbach Falls" had the best scenes and the greatest plot (Sherlock in court was THE BOMB), but also plotholes the size of England. These two guys NEED an army of script evaluators to tell them what just plain doesn't work!!! Instead, they run completely free. During production, no one has asked them: Why indeed did that girl cry when she saw Sherlock? How can a "genius" assume that computer programs, even the smallest, could be communicated by beating on wood (Moriarty wouldn't have been able to keep the rhythm - let alone arrive at one kilobyte of information in those five minutes AND drink that tea ;) )? If the uber-villain commits suicide out of boredom, wouldn't the viewer do the same thing? The finale setup also just doesn't work.

I don't think any of those are plot holes - Sherlock feigned stupidity to draw Moriarty out of the shadows. The little girl thing could come up as important as a future plot point :).

• Sue Vertue has confirmed filming'll be at the beginning of next year, which put the series at most likely airing around Halloweentime 2013.

Add Comment