User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 192.4K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Grandpa needs catheterization and probably is going to need another quadruple bypass. :(

@Zeek said: With major video game companies trying to get rid of the Used market in order to increase their profit margin, how the hell am I going to play AAA titles on a budget? I know it's stupid to play something for the first time like.... oh, I don't know, Portal 2 after a few years has passed and everyone has played it because it's cheaper.

Look at what happened to music prices when iTunes came about. Look at what happened to game prices on PC when Steam became a standard. Look at Netflix and other streaming options. Face it, digital distribution as a standard rather than as a side business drives prices down.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@der_ketzer said: So you will wait until Origin is dead? This may take forever. But fear not. I am waiting with you. I will never play ME3 unless it is on Steam.

I will of course support your decision, but here comes the surprise. I for one am about to buy ME3 and use it with Origin (but intend to go on to never buy an EA product ever again in my entire life).

At present, Origin only needs one online activation for ME3. So, it does at least look like a less invasive platform than Steam. But don't get me wrong here. With the shit EA was trying to pull off with their first Origin EULA version, it's absolutely clear that Steam is the service to trust with your data and Electronic Arts explicitly is not. These guys have no shame and have proven that they don't.

Judging from the demo, Origin will allow offline play, but will suggest every fucking step of the way that this was never its original intent. The sheer number of things you have to deactivate, deselect, hide or plain ignore to get this thing to run in solo offline mode and keep Origin's dirty fingers from EA's servers is mind blowing.

Steam may survive although I might never use it, but Origin absolutely MUST DIE.

• @Rather Dashing said: Grandpa needs catheterization and probably is going to need another quadruple bypass. :(

Oh wow. That doesn't sound good at all.

@Rather Dashing said: Look at what happened to music prices when iTunes came about. Look at what happened to game prices on PC when Steam became a standard. Look at Netflix and other streaming options. Face it, digital distribution as a standard rather than as a side business drives prices down.

Over here music prices are the same. We actually still buy a quite large amount of CDs. I personally never bought anything from iTunes. The only digital music I own is on Steam.

--------------------------------------------------------

@Rather Dashing said: I will of course support your decision

I would have never guessed.

@Rather Dashing said: but here comes the surprise. I for one am about to buy ME3 and use it with Origin (but intend to go on to never buy an EA product ever again in my entire life).

Whaaaa-?

@Rather Dashing said: Judging from the demo, Origin will allow offline play, but will suggest every fucking step of the way that this was never its original intent. The sheer number of things you have to deactivate, deselect, hide or plain ignore to get this thing to run in solo offline mode and keep Origin's dirty fingers from EA's servers is mind blowing.

Steam is kind of the same though. Even though the offline mode works fine if you know how to enable it properly.

@Rather Dashing said: Steam may survive although I might never use it, but Origin absolutely MUST DIE.

Agreed. So what makes ME so special that you would act against your principles in such an extreme manor?

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Rather Dashing said: Grandpa needs catheterization and probably is going to need another quadruple bypass. :(

Ewww... best of luck. If bypasses work, they work! And I hope the catheter will only be temporary. Do the doctors at least speak of a possible 100% recovery?

@Rather Dashing said: Agreed. So what makes ME so special that you would act against your principles in such an extreme manor?

What I desperately want in video games... is closure. A story with an ending. ME3 might supply it (DLC notwithstanding). And that probably is the whole story. It also explains why I don't have to worry wanting another EA product. I won't start a new story with THIS company.

• @Vainamoinen said: What I desperately want in video games... is closure. A story with an ending. ME3 might supply it (DLC notwithstanding). And that probably is the whole story. It also explains why I don't have to worry wanting another EA product. I won't start a new story with THIS company.

What if they make you your puppet though. Something like a screen that says: Go online now to play the final 5 story missins and experience the epic conclusion of ME3 or stop now and we delete your savegame.
    :D

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Actually, the state I'm in right now, I'd welcome EA to provoke me even more. The anger release would be more cathartic. As you will understand, using Origin needed a huge portion of resignation on my part. And I want my anger back.

• @Vainamoinen said: using Origin needed a huge portion of resignation on my part.

I DO understand that. I was already shocked to hear you played the demo to be honest.

• ScummVM unneeded HD Curse of Monkey Island with widescreen support seems like a dream that will never come true in my lifetime.

• @StrongBrush1 said: Davies... I don't know what you're doing, but... please stop doing it.

ponyer.jpg

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@coolsome said: ScummVM unneeded HD Curse of Monkey Island with widescreen support seems like a dream that will never come true in my lifetime.

As long as LucasArts is making a whole lot of money without actually making games, you might very well be correct. Why milk your oldest cow if milk is sprinkling all over you anyway?

And Davies, do keep it up. But maybe in the general art thread? You would even get your post count up... :D :D

This discussion has been closed.