20 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Good interview as always buddy... I know I cant expect actors to LOVE the franchise they are working on but you can really tell sometimes when for some of them its just a job... I think this is one of those times.

As for that deleted scene I thought she meant .. it was a sample audition scene... or did I read that in the wrong context?

• No problem, thanks for the kind words Irishmile I really appreciate it as always! Nice to know people are still reading these. :)

Regarding the deleted scene, that's the question - WAS it a deleted scene, or simply an additional scene thought up solely for audition purposes? Anybody from Telltale care to clarify/elaborate? :D

• @martymcfly said: To be honest RexMaster, I found your original post a little bit rude. Fair enough if you disagree with my opinion about Jurassic Park: The Game being the best JP game, but there's no need to be so dismissive about it, typing multiple HAHAs.

You're obviously a huge fan of Trespasser, to a fault. I actually think you were far too hasty to refer DAISHI to the Trespasser Wikipedia page, telling him to "Read up next time before you try to insult an unfinished, yet revolutionary masterpiece."

Yet, you obviously haven't read the page yourself! You say above:

"which is extremely sad considering the graphics of the game and how simple it is compared to a game with full AI like Trespasser or even JPOG."

Yet the Wikipedia page for Trespasser clearly states:

"Unfortunately, system bugs in the artificial intelligence routines made it so that dinosaurs would have drastic mood swings and would switch between mood-based actions so quickly, they would actually stop moving, unable to do anything at all. A quick fix was hard-coded in to the game that locked all dinosaurs’ anger at maximum, leaving all other emotions at zero. This fixed the bug, but also negated all the work the team had done on programming the AI, leaving the dinosaurs ultimately simplistic in their goals." So much for 'full AI'.

Just to be clear, I bought Trespasser upon release and still own the big box version. I agree that it attempted a lot of revolutionary game ideas that are now commonplace. I enjoyed the game despite its glaring faults. However, let's be clear: it was (and still is) an unfinished, buggy experiment that never realised its full potential. Say what you want about Telltale Games, but they delivered what they promised: a QTE driven Jurassic Park game that was faithful to the films.

I am a huge fan of all Jurassic Park games including Trespasser, and I dont think I was too hasty referring him to that page. Ive read that page many times and it is true that some of the moods and emotions of the dinosaurs were removed, but the AI of the dinos are still amazing, especially for 98, and way better than JPTG's dinosaurs because they move on set paths yet still glitch bad and sometimes worse than Trespasser, that is all that I said.

• User Avatar Image
    MarkDarin Telltale Staff

Concerning that "deleted" scene... You guys guessed right, it was just a scenario created soley for audition purposes. I often write scenes for auditions that don't actually exist in the game to ensure that the actors can provide a wide enough sample of their range, and still be able to understand the context of the audition dialog. So while we never had a fleshed out scene where Jess falls into a Troodon nest, we did know that she'd be facing dinosaurs in horrific situations!

• @martymcfly said: "Unfortunately, system bugs in the artificial intelligence routines made it so that dinosaurs would have drastic mood swings and would switch between mood-based actions so quickly, they would actually stop moving, unable to do anything at all. A quick fix was hard-coded in to the game that locked all dinosaurs’ anger at maximum, leaving all other emotions at zero. This fixed the bug, but also negated all the work the team had done on programming the AI, leaving the dinosaurs ultimately simplistic in their goals." So much for 'full AI'.

Hey, the AI in Operation Genesis isn't much better. I had Site B mode going and was keeping an eye on my rex. He laid down to take a nap when suddenly a Triceratops charged over and gored the poor thing. Without any provocation at all.

• @Shadowknight1 said: Hey, the AI in Operation Genesis isn't much better. I had Site B mode going and was keeping an eye on my rex. He laid down to take a nap when suddenly a Triceratops charged over and gored the poor thing. Without any provocation at all.

His presence is provocation enough :)

• @MarkDarin said: Concerning that "deleted" scene... You guys guessed right, it was just a scenario created soley for audition purposes. I often write scenes for auditions that don't actually exist in the game to ensure that the actors can provide a wide enough sample of their range, and still be able to understand the context of the audition dialog. So while we never had a fleshed out scene where Jess falls into a Troodon nest, we did know that she'd be facing dinosaurs in horrific situations!

Any chance we could hear it?

• @RexMaster said: Had to stop reading in the first paragraph, LMAO!!!!!!!!!! :p:p:p:p
    “undoubtedly the best Jurassic Park game ever made.” ?
    AHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAAHHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p:p:D:p:D:D:p
    Funniest thing ive heard all day and I laughed a lot today! :p:D:p:D:p:D

It was a good game but no way! QTE gameplay? Compared to Trespasser or JPOG which both had better graphics and gameplay? lol The strongest point in JPTG was the story, and I enjoyed it a lot but that line from the magazine is ridiculous.

You hurt my eyes holy fuck.

JP:OG was the best of all JP's, sorry but JP:TG beats Trespasser in my books. Trespasser was just way too buggy and broken to enjoy.

• @RexMaster said: I am a huge fan of all Jurassic Park games including Trespasser, and I dont think I was too hasty referring him to that page. Ive read that page many times and it is true that some of the moods and emotions of the dinosaurs were removed, but the AI of the dinos are still amazing, especially for 98, and way better than JPTG's dinosaurs because they move on set paths yet still glitch bad and sometimes worse than Trespasser, that is all that I said.

the AI was not in it, the AI was a rough piece of code that was just slammed in there. I don't know where you were in those days, but there were better AI based games out there.

• @Faceslasher said: JP:OG was the best of all JP's, sorry but JP:TG beats Trespasser in my books. Trespasser was just way too buggy and broken to enjoy.

Of course JPOG was better overall better than Trespasser, Trespasser was unfinished and JPOG was truly a fun game.

@Faceslasher said: the AI was not in it, the AI was a rough piece of code that was just slammed in there. I don't know where you were in those days, but there were better AI based games out there.

I was waiting patiently for Trespasser like everyone else, but what I am saying is that of course other games had better AI when Trespasser was finally released, but the AI is actually really good for most of it being cut. It was completely on accident but what was left of the AI made the game even better, it gave the raptors the ability to sneak up on you and scare the hell out of you and it let the dinos trip over things and limp (even though they got stuck most of the time), which actually did make parts of the game more realistic.

Add Comment