User Avatar Image

Which is the best Monkey Island game so far?

posted by presidentmax on - last edited - Viewed by 4.3K users

Since Tales of Monkey Island is now complete and can be viewed as a full 5th game i was curious what everyones opinion is on their favourite monkey island game so far?

86 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @coolsome said: Yh with the long absence between EMI and Tales everyone's pretty much managed to play them all over and over. The only "noobs" are probably people who started on TMI but with the SE's its easyer to catch up.

True, there's not really many 'noobs' any more. I played MI2 in 96, so I've been playing for 15 years now (NOOO!!!! I'M OLD!) but by Stareyes definition of a noob, I'd still be a noob as I didn't play MI2 the year it came out and didn't start with MI1.

The way I see it, people are entitled to think what they want, so who cares if someone thinks EMI is the best? Sure I personally don't agree, but that doesn't mean EMI shouldn't be their favourite.

• I never intended "noob" as some kind of insult (more of a tongue-in-cheek), just that I would divide Monkey Islands fans into (at least) two catagories. Those that have been one since the beginning of the franchise, and those who are introduced later, which would often be CMI because it was around that time when gaming seriously hit massmarket (thanks to the success of the Sony Playstation).

Maybe if people would stop reading on forums with such a defensive stance and cynicism, they wouldn't feel so offended by non-offensive posts. I had no agenda with my post, only throwing out a theory that I still holds some water. I never said falling into either of the catagories was right or wrong. I never said "you started playing MI long after I did, you dumb noob, lol, your opinion doesn't count!", or anything like that.

God, I hate the internet.

/facepalm

• @StarEye said: I never intended "noob" as some kind of insult (more of a tongue-in-cheek), just that I would divide Monkey Islands fans into (at least) two catagories. Those that have been one since the beginning of the franchise, and those who are introduced later, which would often be CMI because it was around that time when gaming seriously hit massmarket (thanks to the success of the Sony Playstation).

Maybe if people would stop reading on forums with such a defensive stance and cynicism, they wouldn't feel so offended by non-offensive posts. I had no agenda with my post, only throwing out a theory that I still holds some water. I never said falling into either of the catagories was right or wrong. I never said "you started playing MI long after I did, you dumb noob, lol, your opinion doesn't count!", or anything like that.

God, I hate the internet.

/facepalm

Considering the term 'noob' is an offensive term, I think we had a right to be defensive. Would you walk up to a black man call him the N word and then be surprised when he was offended? Or even walk up to him and casually throw the word out while talking to him and think that it's OK as it wasn't directed at him? No. While noob isn't anywhere near on that scale, it's the same basic principle. If you don't want people to be offended by posts don't include offensive terms in your post with no context (or even the context that everyone who started MI after you is a noob, which is how your post came across) and then act like you've been wronged when people react to it.

Partial intolerance is as bad, if not worse, then out and out hate, you might want to remember that.

• I played Grim Fandango first, then Curse, Escape, Secret and finally Revenge. I think Escape is better in every way, best jokes, best soundtrack, best puzzles, best backgrounds etc. I still love the others, though.

• I always thought of "noob" as an Internet synonym to idiot. "Newbie" is a much nicer term. Anyway, what matters is that Stareye didn't mean to offend anyone.

Oh, yeah, I can't remember if I've posted in this topic before, but my fave is Revenge. Curse is really good too.

• wow I was really tempted to make a new thread and poll to see how tales ranks among the classic Monkey Island games and then came across this thread I had already made. I'm surprised by how the games are ranked.

I never thought Tales would rank higher than secret of monkey island, imagined that game to be near the top.

• I'm kind of sad that MI2 has the most votes cause I really think it's my least favourite in the series. I did genuinely come off as the hardest entry, I thought the ending was unique among such games, but also totally unnecessary. There were so many questions left unanswered, and even Curse and later entries haven't really explained all of them. It just feels like the odd-man-out to me.

I'd choose Curse AND Tales if I could. However, Escape is what brought me fully into the series, so I'd actually say I liked it a fair amount.

The problem I have with SoMI is that while it was indeed a great game, I just don't think it's as good as later entries. That's not always true in many series, and I still think FF6 is better than all the others that came after it and I do believe Curse had a very satisfying ending.

I'd probably have voted only Tales if it hadn't ended on a cliffhanger note, though, as it was really good.

• I came into the series with Escape, but by the time I'd bought it was already 5 years old. Except for a short story and a few easy puzzles I can't really see the problem with it but I guess ToMI is my fave since I haven't played the ones before Escape.

• User Avatar Image
    Syd

I think I'll have to go with Curse. The previous two are certainly classics, but I just enjoyed Curse the most. Sure, LeChuck seemed somewhat ineffective as a villain and the ending could have been a bit less abrupt, but no game has made me laugh harder. I have a difficult time placing Tales as a whole in an exact spot, since (to me) the quality varies from episode to episode. Escape is probably in last place for me, but that doesn't mean I think it's horrible, it just has some problems holding it back.

Add Comment