User Avatar Image

Is this game worth it?

posted by Kalmageddon on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

Hey, I'm thinking about buying this game...So is this a good game or... :D

47 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I only got to play the full season recently, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. The PC port is a bit rough (essentially they picked the iOS version and put it on PC like that, including scrolling by clicking a button and double clicking to do anything), but all of the episodes were really enjoyable. The price of 20 bucks for all episodes isn't too bad. I finished all of them in about 10 hours.

• Its ABSOLUTELY worth it!
    The humor was perfect. A bit short though, but would never regretted it!

• Being a huge TTG fan since the very beginning, and after buying every possible game and every single piece of merchandise TTG have ever released (except clothing), I don't understand most of the negative opinions here.

I've played all the episodes on PC, have never encountered bugs, and I think that this is simply the best that TTG have to offer for 2011.

Sadly, with all of their 2011 releases, there is no real competition - but even in universal terms, without comparison to the games released in 2011 only, in my opinion - it's a fantastic game.
    And, even more sadder, it's not even TTG's franchise. It's like TTG "needed help from outside", from a small studio, in order to put a single worthy release through the whole passing year.

Anyway, the game is hilarious, the humor is top notch, the gameplay is very good, and this is the only TTG game from 2011 that has left me with a taste for more.

• I've been on the wall for a while about this. Largely cause I'm not sure if my computer will be able to run it or not (it couldn't run The Devil's Playhouse), and considering the price of 3 episodes vs say.. the price of Sam & Max season 1 with 6 episodes.. I don't see it being nearly as worth it.

This is, however, mostly due to the fact that I don't have any real disposable income and I have to get games when the deals are most advantageous (or I suddenly have some money to burn and nothing else to worry about). I've heard of the bugs and the shortness, and that also worries me. Doing everything I could think of in a Sam & Max episode might see it last 4-6 hours, especially if I get stumped frequently. But if one of these episodes only lasts me maybe 2-3 hours tops.. I dunno.

Ease doesn't bother me, though.

• @Hiroshi Mishima said: I've been on the wall for a while about this. Largely cause I'm not sure if my computer will be able to run it or not (it couldn't run The Devil's Playhouse), and considering the price of 3 episodes vs say.. the price of Sam & Max season 1 with 6 episodes.. I don't see it being nearly as worth it.

This is, however, mostly due to the fact that I don't have any real disposable income and I have to get games when the deals are most advantageous (or I suddenly have some money to burn and nothing else to worry about). I've heard of the bugs and the shortness, and that also worries me. Doing everything I could think of in a Sam & Max episode might see it last 4-6 hours, especially if I get stumped frequently. But if one of these episodes only lasts me maybe 2-3 hours tops.. I dunno.

Ease doesn't bother me, though.

For me personally, the Hector games certainly didn't take less time. I play through a Sam & Max episode in about 3 hours. Episodes 1 and 2 of Hector took me a bit longer than 3 hours, while episode 3 took me 4,5 hours.

Considering Sam & Max is regularly on sale while Hector rarely is, I'd say get Sam & Max if you're on a tight budget. Hector certainly is worth your time and money though.

If you don't own season 1 and 2 of Sam & Max, they are also really good. You should probably wait until they're on sale and get them all at once. Especially season 2 is really good.

• Yeah, I broke down and got the Sam & Max Complete Collection from TTG's site cause that was the cheapest bundle I'd seen and it game with the bonus DVDs, which Steam certainly doesn't do and they're like 20 bucks each on XBL. I loved every moment and it was glad to finally play a S&M game after hearing about the characters in the 90's and through most of the 2000's.

I'll just have to wait for Hector to go on sale.

• Hector is a good game. Buy it.

• I'll have to say Hector was better than what TTG put out most recently.

Also everyone pounding on about "easy", "short" and "buggy", isn't that pretty much TTG's motto since Tales of Monkey Island?
    It's not that bad here at all...

• @Hassat Hunter said: I'll have to say Hector was better than what TTG put out most recently.

Also everyone pounding on about "easy", "short" and "buggy", isn't that pretty much TTG's motto since Tales of Monkey Island?
    It's not that bad here at all...

My problems with Hector were mostly 'badly written, unfunny and drawn out'. Which hasn't been the case with (most) Telltale games.

Then again, I'm someone who plays adventure games for their writing more than their gameplay. If you're into the more classical Scumm-style games, I can understand if Hector is a game that appeals to you more.

• @Tjibbbe said: My problems with Hector were mostly 'badly written, unfunny and drawn out'. Which hasn't been the case with (most) Telltale games.

Then again, I'm someone who plays adventure games for their writing more than their gameplay. If you're into the more classical Scumm-style games, I can understand if Hector is a game that appeals to you more.

I play adventure games more for their writing than anything else, but I loved Hector. I guess it comes down to personal preference. Still, I think other Telltale games have been really good as well, at least when it comes to writing.

Add Comment