133 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • eh... I don't rank ToMI, not because it's stupid, bad, or not the ending I wanted. I don't rank it because the solution to the final puzzle leads instantly to happily ever after, with no lead into it. The pre-credits cutscene should have been longer and had more build up into being happy rather than suddenly being happy.

MI2 is neither daring nor original--it's wtf. I dislike wtf endings. I can accept cliffhangers and the hero doesn't always have to win (though I like for them to) but MI2 just leaves the player with the question "what the hell just happened??" in their minds for a long time afterward. I disapprove.

• @Chyron8472 said: eh... I don't rank ToMI, not because it's stupid, bad, or not the ending I wanted. I don't rank it because the solution to the final puzzle leads instantly to happily ever after, with no lead into it. The pre-credits cutscene should have been longer and had more build up into being happy rather than suddenly being happy.

Well, I certainly agree with that.

@Chyron8472 said: MI2 is neither daring nor original--it's wtf. I dislike wtf endings. I can accept cliffhangers and the hero doesn't always have to win (though I like for them to) but MI2 just leaves the player with the question "what the hell just happened??" in their minds for a long time afterward. I disapprove.

This on the other hand...

Ah well, it's all horses for courses.

• @Chyron8472 said:

MI2 is neither daring nor original--it's wtf. I dislike wtf endings. I can accept cliffhangers and the hero doesn't always have to win (though I like for them to) but MI2 just leaves the player with the question "what the hell just happened??" in their minds for a long time afterward. I disapprove.

High five.

• To be honest, I don't usually care for video game endings. It's generally a combination of a lack of any sort of denouement, and the fact that many have open endings to make for sequel fodder. I can probably think of five that I liked though (disclaimer: I haven't played console games since the SNES, and that was more than 10 years ago, so they won't really feature on any list I make).

One game ending that I did like recently was Dragon Age: Origins. It had a fun if somewhat cliched climax, and a nice long winding-down epilogue.

I have a weak spot for the ending of King's Quest 6. Well, except for that goddawful song that plays.

Portal's ending is pretty awesome, even if it has been sort of ruined by the ubiquitous internet meme generator at this point.

Hm... the ending of Grim Fandango was very well done in my opinion. Tied up the story nicely, a bit bittersweet but appropriate.

I think my recently minted favorite video game ending of all time though is Bastion. It's really quite moving.

• @DAISHI said: Sylux is no different from Bobba Fett really. Just cool factor that fans took and run with.

I guess? I never really saw the appeal of Bobba Fett, either. Insofar as I knew he was some bounty hunter who died in the Sarlac Pit in Return of the Jedi, and then I find out years later he was written out of the pit in a comic or a novel or something. Then he was suddenly Mr. Popular. *shrug*

• @Hiroshi Mishima said: I guess? I never really saw the appeal of Bobba Fett, either. Insofar as I knew he was some bounty hunter who died in the Sarlac Pit in Return of the Jedi, and then I find out years later he was written out of the pit in a comic or a novel or something. Then he was suddenly Mr. Popular. *shrug*

No no, you've got it all wrong.

Boba Fett appeared in The Empire Strikes Back (or the Holiday Special if you want to be pedantic) and following its release become a hit with the fans, simply because he looked cool and had a cool, fucked up, raspy voice for all of the two lines of dialogue he spoke!

Then Return of the Jedi was released and Boba Fett was unceremoniously disposed of in the least badass way possible; a gigantic sand vagina... eww! The fans were pissed and so Boba Fett survived (having been spat out of the gigantic sand vagina... double eww) via the expanded universe (comics, novels etc.).

So, Fett wasn't "suddenly popular" after he escaped the Sarlacc. He was "suddenly popular" after his brief appearance in Empire. However, neither reason for the popularity makes much sense; other than Boba Fett being... well, cool.

Having said all that; I haven't been a fan of Star Wars since I was a kid. I really should replace my knowledge of it with something a little more worthwhile!

• @Davies said: LeChuck's Revenge's ending was purposefully daring, upset the status quo and left fans everywhere discussing it's true meaning

@Davies said: MI2 is neither daring nor original--it's wtf. I dislike wtf endings. I can accept cliffhangers and the hero doesn't always have to win (though I like for them to) but MI2 just leaves the player with the question "what the hell just happened??" in their minds for a long time afterward. I disapprove.

@Davies said: High five.

In fact, I qualify MI2's ending as one of the worst endings of all time. The game before the "final battle" is very very good. It's everything a Monkey Island game should be in that it's very funny yet slightly serious, and Guybrush is lovable to us but a jerk to almost everyone ingame.

However, all the feeling, adventure, wonder and humor created by the fantastic core gameplay is totally undone by the ending--it is so off the wall, so nonsensical, so random yet totally cliche, and so anti-climactic... that it completely overwhelms any and all feeling about or build up made by the rest of the game.

Being different doesn't inherently make an ending good; being artsy doesn't make it interesting or fun. The status quo isn't what it is because the man says so and must therefore be rebelled against; the status quo is what it is because people generally know what they like and thus gravitate to liking certain things. With that in mind, if one is to go against the status quo, it should be done with a specific purpose in mind other than as a means in and of itself.

ie. in storytelling, being non-conformist merely for non-conformity's sake is stupid. In other words:

z7ioC.jpg

Add Comment