133 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Chyron8472 said: In fact, I qualify MI2's ending as one of the worst endings of all time. The game before the "final battle" is very very good. It's everything a Monkey Island game should be in that it's very funny yet slightly serious, and Guybrush is lovable to us but a jerk to almost everyone ingame.

However, all the feeling, adventure, wonder and humor created by the fantastic core gameplay is totally undone by the ending--it is so off the wall, so nonsensical, so random yet totally cliche, and so anti-climactic... that it completely overwhelms any and all feeling about or build up made by the rest of the game.

Being different doesn't inherently make an ending good; being artsy doesn't make it interesting or fun. The status quo isn't what it is because the man says so and must therefore be rebelled against; the status quo is what it is because people generally know what they like and thus gravitate to liking certain things. With that in mind, if one is to go against the status quo, it should be done with a specific purpose in mind other than as a means in and of itself.

(ie. in storytelling, being non-conformist merely for non-conformity's sake is stupid.)

Woah, it's fine that you don't like the ending. It's also fine that I do; who said anything about it being great merely because it's non-conformist?! Different people like different things, it's not a case of you're right and I'm wrong.

• @Davies said: Different people like different things, it's not a case of you're wrong and I'm right.

You're right, it's not the case. I just feel rather strongly both about how stupid the ending is, as well I have encountered various stories (such as the movie No Country for Old Men) that employ the concept of being different for the sake of being different alone--and am thoroughly annoyed when encountering it.

• The ending of MI2 was bad enough that for a long time it was on my list of worst games I'd ever played. The years softened up my opinion so that I could enjoy the game more even if I disliked the ending.

• I love Secret of Mana's ending. I was loath to leave it off my list.

• @Chyron8472 said: In fact, I qualify MI2's ending as one of the worst endings of all time.

Hey, something we can agree upon! :p

In any case, I wouldn't say that Guybrush being a jerk to everyone in the game was strictly a good thing. He at least seemed fairly nice in the first game, and after playing Simon the Sorcerer I would have to say it's not really an endearing character trait that you're mean-spirited to everybody. It certainly made me dislike Simon in the second game.

But yeah, I was enjoying MI2 overall until I hit that ending. I'd always heard the ending was a bit on the confusing side but I wasn't really ready for that. I remember feeling very upset and/or let down by the ending.

• @Hiroshi Mishima said: I wouldn't say that Guybrush being a jerk to everyone in the game was strictly a good thing. He at least seemed fairly nice in the first game

It adds to the humor, the manner in which he is a jerk. In the first game he steals (possibly all of) the mugs from the Scumm Bar; steals the bananas from the cannibal village; commits credit fraud by stealing from the storekeeper and using it to dupe Stan into selling him a ship for money that was not his; potentially destroys his ship thus stranding his crew on Monkey Island... etc.

but it's funny to us so we like him for doing it.

• @Alcoremortis said: I suppose that's better. Though, I apologize for earlier. You're entitled to like what you like. I just don't agree at all with that particular choice.

S'alright. I actually didn't really care for COD:BO's ending anyways.

• @Noname215 said: COD:BO

I read that and my first thought was body odor of a cod.

• I read it as "80's" and thought it might have been somewhat cool for a second.

Add Comment