User Avatar Image

Best and Worst KQ game?

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

Which are the best and worst KQ games, and why?

173 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Not even a few months... a few days... I beat the game in about 5-6 hours the first play through, 4 hours in second and 3 in the third... Taking Super Metroid as an example... The idea is not to collect everything in early games (in super metroid going out of your way to collect everything could take about 4-5 hours even if you tried to go quickly), but collect just enough to be able to beat the bosses efficiently. So yes, the time it takes to beat the game once, isn't really all that long... The endings are just superflous extras...

The Metroid Prime Games and Other M on the other hand, are designed for 'completion' to get the best endings (100%). Completion takes much longer... They require about 15-20 hours. Other M about 12-15 or so (counting the second half, which is the only half that allows 100% collection).

I have never had to 'spend a few' months to beat a metroid game... Not unless I busy and stretching my game play to a hour every few weeks...

• I never said anything about collecting items. Sometimes you just don't beat the boss the first time through. Especially true of the second Ridley confrontation. Or you get lost. Or you can't figure out a few puzzles. I refuse to believe you can get through Super Metroid on a single playthrough without knowing anything about the game first. If you can you really must have no life. Super Metroid is a BIG game.

• I was counting 'total time' played... Convenient little counter the game takes... Of course I don't just sit there and play a game for 8 hours straight.... I take the time to save... Also Super Metroid has a nice little map 'dots' that point out if there is an item in the area to collect. So that helps to figure out where items are collected... That being said I don't think I had more than 90% collection when I beat Super Metroid the first time... I also didn't go automatically back to replaying the game, just after I beat it... That may be a few months later, or even a year... As I often move onto to other games instead...

I don't count the time i'm not playing the game, as 'time it took me to finish the game'... As I wasn't physically playing the game....

If I went by time I wasn't playing the game, it actually took me 2.5 months to finish Other M, because I was very busy...

Seriously Super Metroid isn't that difficult of a game, there was no reason for me to 'restart'... I did beat it the first time through, after many save periods... I beat it within a week or two of play... I remember renting it... The last boss isn't that difficult...

yes, there is one problem with 'total time played'. It doesn't count the times, you die, and have to reload... I'd say that probably add a couple of hours more...

I surely had my share of deaths in Other M...

• How long did it take me to beat Other M? Maybe two days?

As for games like Super Metroid and Fusion? It certainly didn't take me months to get to the point where I could beat it very quickly. In fact my first time playing/beating it was under 6 hours with less than 100%, which was actually faster than the time I first took beating Fusion.

Insofar as a game like Metroid is concerned, it is the game that pretty much created the speedrun, at least Super Metroid, anyways. Also, I never really had an issue with Samus removing her suit if you beat it super fast, it was when it became part of the storyline and she'd be taking it off constantly (and at terrible times) that I really began to dislike it. I also think the Zero Suit's design is abysmal and they could've done a lot better.

But really, Super Metroid and Fusion are the only games I really "speedrun". In fact, it's something I enjoy immensely. There's no storyline, just pure action.

• I can't stand the fusion suit either... It's basically the zero suit with a helmet, and a couple of hard pieces stuck on... I never liked the visual look, more gaunt zombie than intimidating...

She's about as near as weak as she is in the Zero suit... But still has her weapons...

• I enjoyed it the first time through, despite the linearity... But all the text just became tedious on later play throughs... It's still fun though.

I just consider to be on one of the weaker entries...

Super Metroid is my favorite, followed closely by the Prime games (especially the first two), and then the original...

• I really liked Zero Mission. But it was way too easy. Incredibly fun to sequence break, from what I hear though. I don't like sequence breaking myself so I don't do it.

• Truth be told Zero Mission is probably next favorite after the list above... It has the old school metroid feel (full-exploratory feel), although its slightly more linear...

I didn't particularly like the art style though... One of the things I liked about Super Metroid, was that Gunpei Yokoi (may he rest in peace) made the decisoin to essential go with artwork that had 'retro' feel. Zebus though fully updated with beautiful backgrounds, the geography was certainly inspired by the geography from the first game... The same types of rocks and bricks... There were certain key landmarks in Super Metroid that were taken directly from the original! New areas tended to be more organic and natural looking though. Grass and soil, etc...

It took the 8bit artwork and updated it to 16bit! There were all those little nods to specific locations linking the two games together!

Zero Mission went for an entire update going for a more comic book art style, with planet scape that looked nothing like either the original or Super Metroid... More like Fusion. With geography I suppose was more realistic, but less alien looking... Solid rock, more sand/soil, instead of the 'brick/constructed' look.

The map was pretty much redesigned, and many of the landmarks from the original game were replaced with new landmarks (some original and some inspired by Super Metroid). But doesn't have nearly the same impact as the direct links they made between Metroid and Super Metroid. As there aren't many places that still look anything like their counterparts in the original games.

I suppose I just enjoyed the novelity of Gunpei Yokoi's chosen art direction, and the intentional updated 'retro' feel, as opposed to later designers take on world of Zebes...

Still it was a fun game... For what it was! It's definitetly one of the more replayable games in the series for a quick game... Because as far as gameplay feel its closer to the original/super metroid in feel.

Yes, it was too easy!

But I'll tell you one thing, I unlocked the original Metroid in the game, and had way more fun replaying it through on a portable system than the Zero Mission part of the game itself!

• @MusicallyInspired said: And actually, Zelda apparently officially has 3 timelines now.

NO. Don't say that. Never say that again. ever.

The games are canon. The manuals are canon (which I include because of the "Gannon" typo in the LOZ intro.)

That's it. Strategy guides don't count, convoluted story books (made long after the fact and not written by the original writers of the involved games) don't count. Said book may be licensed by Nintendo but that doesn't mean the ones who authorized the license for the book actually read--or had any involvement in writing--the material in question.

Call it authorized fan-fiction, but it's still fan-fiction, and therefore inherently false.

Add Comment