User Avatar Image

What's your ideal KQ9?

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 368 users

What sort of story, who would be the protagonist, settings, etc?

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Right, I know the history! I have QFG omnipedia, where we have gone into that in great detail! I'm just comparing the differences here though a somewhat more vaguer manner ;). I didn't want to turn it into an essay!

that such a sudden big jump--to the dark tone of Shadows of Darkness--wouldn't go over well with fans and

Actually the jump was, that they didn't think that the "Hero" would be powerful enough to take on forces such as Vampires at the point just after teh second game. From a story and challenge stand point they wanted the character to 'grow' some more.

Off note but--If traditional adventure games had continued to have mainstream popularity into the late 1990s, I wonder what KQ8 would've been like.

Well, we still know the whole idea she wanted 3D she was talking about as early as 1994... She was talking about possible action concepts (based on stuff she saw on pcs and consoles, super mario 64/doom) as early as 1995 (she had a Japanese prototype of the "ULtra 64" before most people ever saw pictures in the US)...

So I don't think she really ever had a plan to make it anything different... She was just really impressed with the real time action, and fully explorable 3D worlds...

The real question is what would it have been like if Doom and Nintendo 64 hadn't been in development at that time (to inspire her in that direction)?!

I don't think you start seeing the whole "industry is dieing' mantra pop out of them until 1996... Earlier I think it was like 'ooh cool new tools, new bells and whistles, I can do new things in my adventures, yippee!!!' Like a child in a candy store...

So another good question is if the appeal of adventure games had lasted (realizing that KQ8 is basically what she had intended KQ8 to be from the start anyways, she looked at action, and designed action, before she even started on puzzles), what would she have done with KQ9... Would it have gone back to being more traditional? Or would she have pushed things further the direction she was taking things?

• Careful, Anakin. Epic Sierra fandom pedantry is Baggins' territory. He might snap.

• I don't know Anakin could probably give you the profit margins for many specific game when the first came out, or relative success of individual products...... :p...

He's way more into the general Sierra history as it relates to company management...

I'm more interested in history of development for individual games...

• User Avatar Image
    exo

I wouldn't mind seeing a game that forced you to visit all of the previous lands. It would be interesting to have to go between the lands to rally it's people to a unified cause. Each location could be changed due to events that have taken place since you last visited. So while a bit familiar, they would also be very different.

Unless Roberta was involved I'm not sure I'd care to see a new land. And I'll be damned if that is "what king's quest is about" or not.

A time traveling tale where you go between the old games and see yourself actually working through the old puzzles, but can't be seen by yourself would be interesting. Somehwat similar to SQ4's sequence of game jumping.

Point being, there are many ways to revisit familiar places without treading the exact same ground.

• Then you might as well be playing The Silver Lining, because what you describe is nearly what the Four Winds magazine and what the game does... "rallying characters from many of thr games together from previous lands" and a return to the Green Isles...

Seriously one the reasons creating a new land and a stand alone story (as Roberta did it originally) is that doesn't tie every single game in the series together in a complicated mess, is because a story in a new land avoids creating continuity/canon breaking issues and mischaracterizations as everything is 90% original...

• @exo said: I wouldn't mind seeing a game that forced you to visit all of the previous lands. It would be interesting to have to go between the lands to rally it's people to a unified cause. Each location could be changed due to events that have taken place since you last visited. So while a bit familiar, they would also be very different.

Unless Roberta was involved I'm not sure I'd care to see a new land. And I'll be damned if that is "what king's quest is about" or not.

A time traveling tale where you go between the old games and see yourself actually working through the old puzzles, but can't be seen by yourself would be interesting. Somehwat similar to SQ4's sequence of game jumping.

Point being, there are many ways to revisit familiar places without treading the exact same ground.

a1d591f8687608d1bedf2fcaf0208a90.jpg

• If you want time travel go play Wizard and the Princesss and the follow up with its sequel, Adventure in Serenia!

Snickers...

Brilliant marketing strategy! Marketing the same game (with only a few minor differances graphically) as its own sequel through a time travel story gimmick!

• I'm thinking I might prefer an interquel. Is that heresy?

Graham between KQ1 and 2 maybe. Second choice Rosella, somewhere between KQ4 and 6.

I definitely want a new land, but starting with some exploration of Daventry would be good, too.

• Some speculate that KQ7 might take place between KQ4 and KQ6.

I definitely want a new land, but starting with some exploration of Daventry would be good, too

Starting or ending up in an area in Daventry is always a good idea... It worked in KQ3 and KQ8. Most games started in Daventry in some fashion.

One possiblity is Graham is visiting another land at the start of the game, or has been captured by an army and taken to another land. His kingdom invaded. In both cases he has to solve puzzles in the new land, and work his way back to Daventry to save it!

I'm not sure I want a game that is fully set in Daventry again... We had that back in KQ1. I want to explore new areas of the world, new kingdoms... As long as I get a bit of both some Daventry, and primarily a new kingdom. That would be cool.

• User Avatar Image
    exo

I haven't played TSL, and based on the stills I have seen I don't much like the art style.

Secondly, just because they took the idea I floated and did it poorly, does not ean there is not a positive way of doing it.

I have played Wizard and the princess however, and it's sequel. I wouldn't qualify either as games that made my enjoyable list.

As I stated in my post, there are ways of covering familiar territory without blatantly repeating the content. And as a second repeat, i don't care for a new land developed by some jackass fan.

I think my time in these threads has basically proven to me Id rather the KQ series just stop right where it is. I don't want a Telltale game and I don't want some over thought out mess that some fan came up with.

Add Comment