User Avatar Image

The Last Item You Purchased?

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 42.2K users

What was it? Whether it was a packet of chips, a video game, a CD, a magazine, a gun, a flower, a yacht or an island, post it here.

My most recent purchase was a CD - Dream Theater's "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence".

5.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Davies said: A roll of masking tape, a rope, a ski mask and a large kitchen knife.

Should I ask why?

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Davies said: A roll of masking tape, a rope, a ski mask and a large kitchen knife.

How lovely, you must be preparing for a combined craft/mountaineering/culinary class!

• Halo 2.

Well, I've already got Halo 3 and ODST, I thought might as well start getting the rest of the series.

• @puzzlebox said: How lovely, you must be preparing for a combined craft/mountaineering/culinary class!

Yep, spot on.

I'm going to be crafting some lovely chairs out of human bones oak.

I'm going to climbing a mountain in order to hide the evidence go skiing.

I'm going to be cooking and consuming the flesh ingredients, provided by my poor victims good friends.

• 51Yt21FgveL.jpg
    I Just ordered this case from Amazon. I'm going to Microcenter next weekend to get the motherboard, PSU, Ram and CPU. Hopefully I don't mess up too badly seeing that this my first time building a computer, though I feel fairly confident that everything should go as planned because I've read and watched a bunch of how howto's on building computers for first time builders.

• Gods I need to build a new computer. I'm so unfamiliar with the experience and friends have given me a fair amount of advice, but I just can't get over how damned expensive it all is. There's no way I can build a decent computer for less than $600, even though I've been told repeatedly (even shown once) that it's possible. I just don't have the nose for deals or the cash to throw around.

• Well, the nice thing about building your own computer, is you can choose some cheaper maybe-not-so-decent components, but upgrade them as required and as money permits. Pick a good motherboard with enough expandability to allow you to do this. For the past few decades, components have always gotten better and cheaper (though there's currently a problem with hard drives), so whatever you can't afford now might work out in the future.

• @gamer247 said: I'm going to Microcenter next weekend to get the motherboard, PSU, Ram and CPU. Hopefully I don't mess up too badly seeing that this my first time building a computer, though I feel fairly confident that everything should go as planned because I've read and watched a bunch of how howto's on building computers for first time builders.

There's no reason to be worried about building a computer, it's actually quite easy these days. Everything goes together nicely. For what its worth, the best and longest-lasting computer I've ever owned is the one I built myself and use now. There's just a couple things to be careful of:

- Make sure you wear a grounding bracelet at all times, you really do not want to shock a part and render it useless.
    - Make sure you buy the correct motherboard for the CPU you are getting (Intel vs. AMD, # of pins). Motherboards are not universal.
    - Get a pair of pliers for when you inevitably drop screws into the case. :p
    - Since you bought a mid-tower, make sure you don't try to buy a video card that is too big for it.

Also, you'll probably get ripped off on parts at Microcenter (at least if it's the store I'm familiar with), and won't be able to find top-of-the-line stuff, if that's what you're looking for, but I imagine that's probably done already. Newegg.com is usually your best bet if you're in the US.

• @Hiroshi Mishima said: There's no way I can build a decent computer for less than $600, even though I've been told repeatedly (even shown once) that it's possible. I just don't have the nose for deals or the cash to throw around.

It's simple. First, work out the items that you need:

[LIST]
    [*]Case
    [*][edit:] Power Supply (may be bought bundled with case) [/edit]
    [*]Motherboard
    [*]CPU (may be bought bundled with motherboard)
    [*]Video Card
    [*]RAM
    [*]HDD (optional, depending on your current HDD specs)
    [*]DVD Burner
    [/LIST]
    -- HDD and DVD Burner must be SATA
    -- Motherboard must have onboard audio and ethernet ports.
    -- [edit:]Power Supply must have high enough output wattage to support combined wattage of components.[/edit]
    -- Buy OEM hardware parts whenever possible. "Retail" means you're paying for an unopened retail box. "OEM" (original equipment manufacturer) means you only get a part in a cardboard box. But you only require the part, so there is no need to pay for everything else that comes when buying retail.

I built a decent desktop computer from parts I bought from TigerDirect for ~$450 a few years ago.

v43g1.jpg71285362579832547130342.jpg

This list does not include RAM. I suggest always buying RAM from Crucial.com, because they are the retail end of Micron (and Micron actually builds RAM), their site is easy to use (just input your branded computer model number or your motherboard model number), and they have reasonable prices.

In any case, finding parts with which to build a computer for a reasonable price isn't really diffiicult.

• PSU is fairly important too :D

edit: ah it's bundled in your invoice. Those specs are important to note though for your cards' needs.

Add Comment