User Avatar Image

What's your ideal KQ9?

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 257 users

What sort of story, who would be the protagonist, settings, etc?

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • i don't care for a new land developed by some jackass fan...and I don't want some over thought out mess that some fan came up with.

I don't care for some 'jackass' fan screwing up, ruining or complicating previously explored lands and characters (some over thought out mess)...

Seeing as what Telltale did with Sam and Max... It went back to street where Sam and Max's office is located (which was really only briefly visited in Hit the Road)... It stayed there in nearly every single episode, and pretty much remained static (as far as barely evolving over the course of the series)... Making things more and more complicated there... Until they killed off the original Max...

Ugh, I can't think that a King's Quest made that way would end up looking like the land in Strong Bad's with castle, and similar type puzzles... That really don't 'explore' the land in much detail... Just more and idiotically complicated plotline in the same three screens...

• @BagginsKQ said: Seeing as what Telltale did with Sam and Max... It went back to street where Sam and Max's office is located (which was really only briefly visited in Hit the Road)... It stayed there in nearly every single episode, and pretty much remained static (as far as barely evolving over the course of the series)... Making things more and more complicated there... Until they killed off the original Max...

This made me laugh. It puts a game I actually liked in the worst possible light, and it's 100% accurate. :D

But even tho I was okay with it for Sam & Max, it's definitely wrong for KQ! I think Tales is more likely to be the model we'll see -- it didn't go anywhere we'd been in the previous games and it didn't weave in any existing plot threads. But it did turn the Voodoo lady into an over thought out mess IMO.

• Ya, Thom, I like it too, its very funny... It was great to get more Sam and Max... but its no where near as good as Hit the Road...

Yes, its wrong for KQ... LOL.

But it did turn the Voodoo lady into an over thought out mess IMO.
    Hah hah...

LeChuck was already becoming an overly thought out mess by the end of MI2 and 3! Guess they thought they needed to add in another overly complicated mess... lol...

Oh, and Hermain Toothroot was made way too complicated by MI4, LOL....

• @BagginsKQ said: Ya, Thom, I liike it too, its very funny... It was great to get more Sam and Max... but its no where near as good as Hit the Road...

Yes, its wrong for KQ... LOL.

Hah hah...

LeChuck was already becoming an overly thoughout mess by the end of MI2 and 3! Guess they thought they needed to add in another overly complicated mess... lol...

Oh, and Hermain Toothroot was made way too complicated by MI4, LOL....

Only people like Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer should be making games like Monkey Island.

And yes, I know Ron Gilbert spent a day here as a "story consultant," but it's very clear that the Tales story was written by people who didn't fully grasp the beauty of the simpler stories of the original games. The tone of the humor was pretty spot on, but the story reeks of bad fan fiction in places. The overwrought Voodoo Lady as series evil mastermind element is just the worst offender, but there are others. And then of course, it pulls the WORST POSSIBLE BULLSHIT ANY GAME OR MOVIE STORY CAN PULL--it leaves blatant unanswered questions meant for an obvious sequel when a sequel is anything BUT certain. I fucking hate that shit.

And I actually think Tales was Telltale's BEST GAME.

• Don't be misinformed, a lot of the people who worked on Tales worked on at least one of the original MI games, including Dave Gilbert who was there from the beginning. I just don't think it was the best of the people who worked on the originals.

I actually liked the voodoo lady retcon. I was so sick and tired of LeChuck being the only villain.

• My ideal KQ9 would involve

[LIST]
    [*]Exploring a new land; if Daventry is also used, its inclusion as a navigable land is minor and brief (eg. KQ3);
    [*]One or more members of the Royal Family are main characters;
    [*]Quality voice acting (incl. Josh Mandel as Graham);
    [*]Reasonably difficult puzzles, which sometimes in part include using inventory items on other inventory items;
    [*]Multiple options for interaction with inventory and environment;
    [*]Lots of hotspots per screen, whether or not many be superfluous;
    [*]Frequent potential for death;
    [*]Restore/Restart/Quit upon death, and if Retry/Quit (a la KQ7) is included, it is not set by default;
    [*]The majority of the entire navigable area (which feels reasonably vast) is almost immediately apparent, but access only opens up as various puzzles are completed or items are obtained.
    [/LIST]

• User Avatar Image
    exo

Doesn't matter if they worked on the originals if they weren't a apart of the creative process. Monkey Island is defined by it's storyline, dialogue, and puzzles. I may be wrong, but I recently watched Schaffer and Gilbert talking quite a bit about the early days (on their kickstarter project page), and it appears that all three of these things were spearheaded by Gilbert. So just because some guy drew the sprite of guybrush holding his breath underwater doesn't make them any more qualified to work on a Monkey island game than any other sprite artist in my opinion.

I attended the summer Olympics 4 years ago year, but that doesn't mean you'd put me on the swim team this year, nor would you recruit the towel boy to replace Phelps and then say 'Includes members of the original team!'

• Dave Grossman did more than draw a sprite of Guybrush.

• User Avatar Image
    exo

you guys and your literal interpretations of everything. "sprite artist" was an example to make a point.

Simple terms - unless he was involved with the creative process of monkey island, than any work he did on it is irrelevant to me.

Wikipedia states he co-designed DoT, and was a programmer on MI.

How does being a programmer on the original MI make him any more qualified to work on a future MI game than anyone else?

I'm glad the guy gets to continue working on the series, and I'm glad the series turned out well compared to some other recent offerings, but I would find it hard to believe that his time programming on the original game gave him any insight that made him more qualified than someone else.

It just seems misleading to me, like when movies are advertised by "the director of nightmare before christmas", which banks on the fact that people assume Tim Burton directed it, which he did not. You'll never see a tagline that says, "Directed by Henry Selick"... nope, he will be forever known as the guy who directed NMBC, because trying to get people to mistake him for tim burton will always be more profitable than trying to establish him as a stand alone director.

• @exo said:

Wikipedia states he co-designed DoT, and was a programmer on MI.

How does being a programmer on the original MI make him any more qualified to work on a future MI game than anyone else?

If you listen to the way the people who were there talked about those days at Lucasarts, it seems like everyone on the team did a bit of everything. I don't doubt that Dave Grossman had a hand in the creative process behind Monkey Island, though certainly not as much as Ron Gilbert.

Anyway, who really cares? A game doesn't have to be made by old, legendary designers to be good, it just has to be made by people who know how to design good games. I'm not necessarily claiming that Telltale has those people or not, just that the dogmatic attitude is kind of silly. Then again, you sort of seem to be contradicting yourself and arguing my point a couple paragraphs down, so yeah...

Add Comment